My staffie is getting really cheeky after turning 1

3 posters

Go down

My staffie is getting really cheeky after turning 1 Empty My staffie is getting really cheeky after turning 1

Post by ChloexSx Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:37

Hi everyone,

I really do hope someone can help, my staff turned 1 in February and ever since he has turned extremely cheeky & naughty! When I let him off over the forest he just runs and doesn't come back, he stole a whole ribeye steak off the side Sunday! And then whilst my partner was eating his dinner he nicked food off it. He has always had a cheeky side but never to this extreme? He gets plenty of excercise and is dearly loved but I just don't know why he has turned cheeky/naughty....please can anyone shed a bit of light on this? Or have you/are you experiencing anything similar?

Thanks

Chloe Smile x
ChloexSx
ChloexSx
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Dennis
Dog(s) Ages : 14.2.2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

My staffie is getting really cheeky after turning 1 Empty Re: My staffie is getting really cheeky after turning 1

Post by Sazzle Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:44

Hi ChloeSx, welcome to the forum, feel free to come and introduce yourself here:
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

He is probably just pushing boundaries as he's growing up but I've not had one from a pup so others will be able to offer for advise Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

My staffie is getting really cheeky after turning 1 Empty Re: My staffie is getting really cheeky after turning 1

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:44

Logan is a similar sort of age, he got like that maybe a bit younger. It is like a rebellious teenage phase.

Because he is getting a bit older he may need more and different types of exercise to keep him feeling fulfilled.

Lately I've started using long training leads, going on very short runs, using flirtpoles etc. Basically making sure he's good and tired each day. It makes all the difference Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:45

I have the same thing with my Alfie, he is certainly testing his boundaries. He never used to come near me whilst i was eating and sometimes i catch him licking my plate, ive put it down to him feeling more comfortable here and seeing how much he can get away with. Definitely a rebellious teenager stage, go back to basics with him with teaching him right and wrong behaviour, dont worry Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:47

Sounds like a teenage rebellion, just keep on being firm with him & lots of patience. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:47

He sounds like he's going through a 'teenage' phase!

To stop the running off I'd invest in a long training lead (you can get them off ebay pretty cheap.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50ft-Long-Dog-and-Horse-Training-Lunge-Lead-Webbing-/300725023739?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item46049bb3fb#ht_864wt_722 ), and let it trail. Make sure the end is always within reach & if he goes to shoot off, call him once. If he doesn't respond immediately, grab the end of the lead & reel him in!

As regards the food - go back to basic training & be firm & consistent. "Leave" is a good command to get right, and you could maybe get him to lie down on his bed while you're eating?

Back to top Go down

Post by ChloexSx Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:52

Ahhh thank you everyone Smile I was getting really worried because I don't want him to rule the roost as they say Smile defiantly going to try and go back to basics. He is absolutely pushing boundaries gonna have to be more strict x

I also find that he does it more to my partner but I think that might be because I trained him from a pup and took time off work to be with him so I'm not sure if he knows he can't get away with as much stuff with me but with my partner he can so therefore is a lot more cheekier.

I have a 10ft lead but he runs in circles with the other dogs all is owners end up playing skipping with it so we don't get pulled over haha!
ChloexSx
ChloexSx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:54

Hello there Smile
It may feel like you are going to back to basics but it may be what you need to do to re-establish the rules. Have patience and follow the advice you won't go far wrong Smile
otisthestafford
otisthestafford
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:57

ChloexSx wrote:I have a 10ft lead but he runs in circles with the other dogs all is owners end up playing skipping with it so we don't get pulled over haha!

I take Logan out to a big open area nearly every day and let him run wild on his long lead. I bring two tennis balls and just let him get a good play. After about half an hour he's ready for home and basically sleeps the rest of the day.

I couldn't believe how much of a difference in him I saw after using a long lead. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 21:08

As others mentioned, he's just testing you as he's going through his teenage phase! They like to see what they can get away with, so it's important to make sure his boundaries are set clear and ensure he knows what's good and bad behavior! Might seem like it's taking a while but just be patient. As for the running off, I'd advise a lead like mentioned above! Try in smaller areas first, make sure you have a good word for him to come back to and ensure he comes back to it every time when called. When you call his name as soon as you see him take notice say "good boy" so he gets the hang of listening to you means something good. Take treats or his favorite toys out too - they might help Big Grin It'll take a bit of time but good luck! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 21:29

Pushing his boundaries, they all do it sooner or later. Loki got like that when he hit the 6 month mark, and only recently he's improved loads and listens more, misbehaves less (less, hasn't stopped). Go back to basics, whatever training you've been doing with him when he was a puppy, carry on with it now. He's stubborn, but you have to be even more stubborn, and just know that it's a phase Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChloexSx Mon Apr 22 2013, 21:34

Thank you everyone really appreciate it Smile
ChloexSx
ChloexSx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down