11 years of skin problems a lot better

+3
janey
Sazzle
Kelley
7 posters

Go down

11 years of skin problems a lot better Empty 11 years of skin problems a lot better

Post by Kelley Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:02

Hi - My older staff is 13 years old. She has suffered from skin problems for about 11 years. Over the years i have seen three different vets about her problem. She has cost me thousands in vets bills regarding her problem. She has been on a medicated shampoo from the vets, steroid injections every couple of months. Tried every cream you can think of ( Including cream from our Doctor prescribed for my son) Had skin scrapes done when she was younger and was told it may be mites in house dust. Tried different types of food, but still she scratched most nights. I had to have her glands done every 2 weeks by the vet ( I now do her glands after seeing it done so often) She has suffered from very bad ear infections and was always on ear drops. ( her both ears are now closed and the vet wanted to carry out an operation to open them again because of her head shaking and continuously scratching them) Last year i once again seen a different vet and he prescribed predisinol steroid tablets. ( He explained it may give her a shorter life but will make her more happy) We give her the tablets for about 6 months and in the end she could hardly walk due to the weight she had put on. ( She continued to scratch when on the tablets but not as much) We started feeding her Burns dried food last year and i will say that i have to do her glands a lot less now than i used to. In January i explained to our local pet shop of the problems regarding her skin ( They told me to try petnat dermaction spray and itchy ear drops) I looked on their website and ordered the itchy ear drops and ear cleaner, Dermaction spray, cream and soap) I use the ear drops every couple of days when she starts to scratch her ears. I bath her twice a week using the soap and use the cream when needed ( The itching stops instantly) She is a lot happier and has lost weight. I realise that using these creams etc is not a long term answer, but after 11 years of scratching i will continue to use it and it costs a lot cheaper than the vets bills. ( She has even got fur growing again on her back end where she was scratching and dragging) I have waited until now before posting this to make sure that it continues to work ( And it Does) I cant say enough about this natural supplement, but it has changed Bonnys life and given her a more happy one. ( Forgot to mention that she was always biting her paws which has now stopped) ( Sorry about the long story but this is Bonnys life - Scratching and biting until now) Hope it helps - Cheers Mark
Kelley
Kelley
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : scarlet and bonny
Dog(s) Ages : 5months and 13yrs
Dog Gender(s) : both female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

11 years of skin problems a lot better Empty Re: 11 years of skin problems a lot better

Post by Sazzle Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:05

That's brilliant, so pleased for you and Bonny Big Grin
I am also using the petnat products on Daisy, so far they're good Big Grin
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

11 years of skin problems a lot better Empty Re: 11 years of skin problems a lot better

Post by janey Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:05

Amazing to find something that has helped Smile thanks for sharing Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:05

Oh, wow, what a story! So glad that something is finally working - dermacton has been recommended here in a couple of threads recently & I'm so glad it's helped you!

Have you ever thought about a raw diet for your dog? It often helps when there are unesxplained allergies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:08

Thanks for sharing, and i hope she continues to improve!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:10

Great stuff !

I too use dermacton and the petnat skin conditioning spray.

Smile
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:11

That's amazing, glad she's doing so well on it and hope she continues to improve Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:15

glad you have found some think that has helped her,you must have been pulling your hair out having to go through all that for the last 11 years Sad ,hope it continues for her thumbs up
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:31

Brilliant news I'm happy you've got something that's working, I use the cream on darcy when her feet itch & flare up, it's great thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelley Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:43

Hi - I glad to see other people are using it - Cheers - If my post helps one dog with their scratching - I will be happy Big Grin
Kelley
Kelley

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : scarlet and bonny
Dog(s) Ages : 5months and 13yrs
Dog Gender(s) : both female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:49

I think another member has had really good success with that too.

Brilliant to hear a good end to the story Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:50

Glad to hear it helps Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Apr 22 2013, 13:37

Thats great. Good to hear how some products can work, thanks for sharing.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Apr 22 2013, 13:45

Very pleased to read you have finally found something that works for you, it must have been a very stressful time. Best of luck for the future and I hope you continue to see improvements. >Big Grin< >Big Grin<
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down