Help! How to stop him pulling on the lead?

+2
Steve
Franky Pants
6 posters

Go down

Help! How to stop him pulling on the lead? Empty Help! How to stop him pulling on the lead?

Post by Franky Pants Tue Mar 15 2011, 16:03

Good Aftenoon

I'm currently recovering from a hernia operation & need to avoid any exertion on my belly muscles for the next weeks.

We're really missing the exercise, we normally walk for at least an hour every day - Franky & I have been housebound since Saturday & I really want to take him out, but he gets soooooooooooo excited going for a walk, that at times I need 2 hands to hold the lead - he likes to say Hello to everyone!

Any suggestions/advice appreciated - he has a harness, which helps a bit - but he's 23kg of muscle!

My Husband walks him in the evening, but I want to take Franky out myself - especially in this beautiful Spring weather!

Franky Pants
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Franky
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help! How to stop him pulling on the lead? Empty Re: Help! How to stop him pulling on the lead?

Post by Steve Tue Mar 15 2011, 16:15

Hi & Help! How to stop him pulling on the lead? Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Help! How to stop him pulling on the lead? Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Help! How to stop him pulling on the lead? Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Help! How to stop him pulling on the lead? Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Help! How to stop him pulling on the lead? Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Help! How to stop him pulling on the lead? Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Help! How to stop him pulling on the lead? Empty Re: Help! How to stop him pulling on the lead?

Post by Guest Tue Mar 15 2011, 17:38

I've not used a Halti but have heard there very good at stopping dogs pulling might be worth a try, hope your better soon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Tue Mar 15 2011, 17:59

Hi and welcome. I'm gonna agree with Marty on this one, I've never used a Halti myself, but I've heard they work pretty well.
Another thing you can try, if he's food orientated (This doesn't work at all with The Mogster) is carry treats in your pocket and use them as a lure to stay next to you, occasionally giving him one to keep his attention, failing that, hold his favourite toy in your hand, he should, in theory, be more interested in the toy than pulling! (Again this doesn't work with Molly, but it may work in your case)
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 15 2011, 18:09

Hi welcome to the forum
I personally would leave it to your hubby until you get better. You will need to allow him to pull in order to correct the behaviour and it will take more than 1 pull for him to get the message. Which won't be good for you at the mo. But look to training him to heal when your recovered so it becomes easier in the furure

Back to top Go down

Post by Franky Pants Tue Mar 15 2011, 18:31

Cornish-Muscle wrote:Hi and welcome. I'm gonna agree with Marty on this one, I've never used a Halti myself, but I've heard they work pretty well.
Another thing you can try, if he's food orientated (This doesn't work at all with The Mogster) is carry treats in your pocket and use them as a lure to stay next to you, occasionally giving him one to keep his attention, failing that, hold his favourite toy in your hand, he should, in theory, be more interested in the toy than pulling! (Again this doesn't work with Molly, but it may work in your case)

I'll look into the Halti.

I've tried the food option, but he just glances at the treat & looks at me as if to say "I'm going to the fields Mum, I'm too busy for food now!" The same with toys, he just drops them!

I'm expecting him to appear with a sandwich board saying "Walk me NOW!". This afternoon he's dragged my wellies out, his lead & his winter coat and assembled them all by the front door!!

Franky Pants

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Franky Pants Tue Mar 15 2011, 18:36

BlueStaffBlue wrote:Hi welcome to the forum
I personally would leave it to your hubby until you get better. You will need to allow him to pull in order to correct the behaviour and it will take more than 1 pull for him to get the message. Which won't be good for you at the mo. But look to training him to heal when your recovered so it becomes easier in the furure

I think you're probably right - I need to wait! I've been training him to walk to heel, we've only had him 6 months, he's a rescue dog. He knows the heel command & obeys - when it suits him - as long as there's nothing on the horizon that he wants to run to!

Franky Pants

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Tue Mar 15 2011, 19:18

Franky Pants wrote:I'll look into the Halti.

I've tried the food option, but he just glances at the treat & looks at me as if to say "I'm going to the fields Mum, I'm too busy for food now!" The same with toys, he just drops them!

I'm expecting him to appear with a sandwich board saying "Walk me NOW!". This afternoon he's dragged my wellies out, his lead & his winter coat and assembled them all by the front door!!

Franky Pants wrote:

I think you're probably right - I need to wait! I've been training him to walk to heel, we've only had him 6 months, he's a rescue dog. He knows the heel command & obeys - when it suits him - as long as there's nothing on the horizon that he wants to run to!

They both sound exactly like Molly! If you find anything that works let me know! We've not really found anything that is fool proof!
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 15 2011, 21:18

Franky Pants wrote:I'm expecting him to appear with a sandwich board saying "Walk me NOW!". This afternoon he's dragged my wellies out, his lead & his winter coat and assembled them all by the front door!!

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Clever!

The only other thing I can add is, if you really have to take him out yourself, get aharness that has both a back fastening ring & a front fastening ring. Then get a lead with a trigger clasp on both ends & clip both to the harness. The front one gives you control inas much as it uses the dog's own weight & strength against it! The one on the back just gives you a little extra control.

Otherwise, you'll just have to get him a treadmill! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Wed Mar 16 2011, 20:56

I have the same problem with kasier ive tried everything nothing works he just focused on getting on the fields with his ball he doesnt pull on the way back though the lil bugger so he can do it just he is very stubborn
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Wed Mar 16 2011, 21:22

Hi And Welcome To The Forum Smile

Sorry can't offer any advice as I am new to this site and Bruno is the first staffy that i have ever had and I am hooked now Smile
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Mar 16 2011, 21:35

youngkaiser wrote:I have the same problem with kasier ive tried everything nothing works he just focused on getting on the fields with his ball he doesnt pull on the way back though the lil bugger so he can do it just he is very stubborn

Laughing so true!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down