Snarling and biting??

Go down

Snarling and biting?? Empty Snarling and biting??

Post by Fullhouse Mon Apr 15 2013, 18:24

Hi all,

We got our wee girl last weds and the family we got her from had mainly kept her outdoors and alone we think as their older dog didn't take to her, I am having issues with her behaviour which we are mainly putting down to a lack of training. Any help and advice is appreciated.

Problems in past 24 hours have been that she chased my 5 yr old son last night then jumped up and bit his bum mainly getting trousers but after being reprimanded for it she chased him again and jumped up and bit his tummy and snarled at him, she marked him and broke the skin through 2 layers.
Today when walking she keeps grabbing the lead and snarling and shaking it and when I try and take it from her she bites and snaps. This happened about 4-5 times when out this morning (walked 3 miles) and then 6-7 this afternoon (only bout 1mile). I just pulled it from her, shouted, enough!, and then had her sit for a minute til she calmed own. I use a flexilead on a harness when walking.

Tia.
Fullhouse
Fullhouse
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dixie
Dog(s) Ages : 28/12/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Snarling and biting?? Empty Re: Snarling and biting??

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 18:47

She's still a puppy, it's pretty normal, just very frustrating. Is she used to the lead or is it still new to her? Loki was always chewing on the lead because he was so excited to be outside, so I'd tell him 'no' and get him to sit and do a bit of training with him (just tricks he knew) until he was calm again, then carry on. It took forever at first but he stopped eventually.

As for the biting, again I'd put it down to her being really excited and wanting to play. With your son, if she's getting too excited, I'd move her away from him for a bit until she's calm again, but whilst also training her yourself to show her that nipping isn't allowed. When she bites, yelp or tell her 'no,' and then turn your back on her and completely ignore her, but if she continues, put her into another room (a safe room) for a minute or two. She'll eventually get the hang of it Smile

The snarling and snapping is just her being stubborn and having a bit of a tantrum and telling you "NO!" so you just have to be more stubborn than she is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 18:48

And she's beautiful by the way, we have a gallery if you ever want to share many pics with us Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fullhouse Mon Apr 15 2013, 19:54

Thanks for the advice, she's been very good on the lead so far, yesterday she had her first snarl at it but I presumed it was cos we were watching football and wouldn't let her join in lol I had a read on the biting page and will let the rest of the family read it so we can all follow the same instruction.

I will share pics when I get her to it still aNd let me take some, a shoe chew was the only way I got my avatar one done.
Fullhouse
Fullhouse

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 20:00

She is still very much a baby, with darcy when she gets to excited we stop all play and wait for her to calm down. She is a little cutie in your avatar Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 20:14

Why did the other people want rid of her? I'm willing to bet that they couldn't cope with what is normal puppy behaviour!

She just needs to be given firm boundaries - time, patience and consistency will work wonders. thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Fullhouse Mon Apr 15 2013, 23:17

Seemingly their older dog didn't like her so they kept her out back or in a conservatory. She's a lovely wee girl but very hyper, I'm trying on tire her out with exercise to calm her down lol
Fullhouse
Fullhouse

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down