Advice needed please!

3 posters

Go down

Advice needed please! Empty Advice needed please!

Post by LynneAJ Mon Apr 15 2013, 11:35

Hey all....not been on or posted for ages as laptop gave up the will to live Sad

Anyhow I'm back on and looking for some advice from all you lovely people....the thing is Poppy is now 7 months old....all in all she is well behaved but still has the odd puppy daft turns etc now and again.....but the issue I'm having with her at the moment is the way she can occasionally be with my 13 year old son. Poppy is quite clingy to me (follows me everywhere) and I'm wondering if therein lies the problem....sorry I'm warbling on here so I will get to the point. Recently she has started to challenge my son when he tells her off, tries to move her etc....Not in an overly aggressive way don't get me wrong....more in a "who do you think you are telling me what to do" kinda way. I try no to intervene too much as Poppy needs to learn for herself to do as my son says. I must admit she is a stubborn thing tho but with me she's learned I'm even more so than her!

Any hints and tips appreciated x
LynneAJ
LynneAJ
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog(s) Ages : 10/9/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Advice needed please! Empty Re: Advice needed please!

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 11:38

She is getting to the age of a typical "stroppy teenager" so you will most likely experience a bit of a rebellious stage.

My only real advice is to have a sit down chat with your son and and make sure he knows how to be firm but fair with her and that you and him are both training her the same way.

Nothing to be overly worried about, just gotta keep consistent Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by LynneAJ Mon Apr 15 2013, 11:43

Aww great.....so between her and my son am gonna have two stroppy teenagers to contend with now Laughing

but yeah defo gonna sit him down and have a chat...he's not the most confident with her tho....she is a big pup....but will show him how I deal with her....Will have to teach him my "not amused look" lol
LynneAJ
LynneAJ

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Mon Apr 15 2013, 11:43

We had the same issue with Caley and my 9 year old around that age. It took alot longer for her to listen to him than it did for her to listen to the rest of us.

We got my son to do most of the work with her, i.e. he fed her but made her wait for her food until he told her, he did training with her and when they were in an "argument" with each other, we made my son persist until Caley realised he was in charge of her...it was a bit of a long haul, but she is now 1 and knows that he is in charge just as much as the rest of us. Big Grin
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Advice needed please! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 11:46

LynneAJ wrote:but yeah defo gonna sit him down and have a chat...he's not the most confident with her tho....she is a big pup....but will show him how I deal with her....Will have to teach him my "not amused look" lol

As long as he knows not to get frustrated with her etc and to just remain calm etc it'll be fine. Make sure he knows if he is ever confused or maybe even intimidated, just to ask you for help. Smile

debtom wrote:We got my son to do most of the work with her, i.e. he fed her but made her wait for her food until he told her, he did training with her and when they were in an "argument" with each other, we made my son persist until Caley realised he was in charge of her...it was a bit of a long haul, but she is now 1 and knows that he is in charge just as much as the rest of us. Big Grin

Great tip from Deb about the feeding thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 13:06

The best way is to get your son involved in feeding, walking and general care of the dog. Also, if he is nervous or tentative she will pick up on it and this can make matters worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Apr 15 2013, 13:13

Agree with those above, try to get your son involved with her training and feeding. That way she will learn that your son is one to be listened to too.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 13:23

Agree with getting him involved with the feeding, walking and training, that should help. She is at her rebellious stage though, so you've got to make sure he learns to be more stubborn than she is Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by LynneAJ Mon Apr 15 2013, 13:44

Thanks for the advice. Will start getting him involved from tonight when he gets home. X
LynneAJ
LynneAJ

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 15:21

^^^ agree with all the above, my daughter Molly had a similar problem with darcy, and with perseverance she listens to her Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down