Playing Fetch

2 posters

Go down

Playing Fetch Empty Playing Fetch

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13 2011, 13:05

Hi there,

Roxy (12wks) loves to run and chase her toys when they are thrown for her. She will bring her ball/toy back to us , but we are having a hard time in getting her to let go of it so we can throw again. We refuse to play TUG with her ( nipping and mouthing/biting are still a BIG issue for us and I find that a game of TUG only makes matters worse )

I have told my daughters that we will try giving her a treat while saying the magic word for her to let go ( my girls want to use the word "taaa" as in thank-you Wink ) Is this technique going to work or can somebody suggest something else.

She is a reasonably fast learner when her treats are involved....she knows the commands sit, drop(lay down) stay, come (when it suits her) and the latest is wait applause (waiting for her treat or dinner before being told she may have it) so i'm hoping it won't be TOO hard to teach her to release her toy.

Thanx in advance
Lisa Smile

Back to top Go down

Playing Fetch Empty Re: Playing Fetch

Post by janey Sun Mar 13 2011, 13:17

Lol, I think just persistance on that one is the key. It is pointless taking a ball out for Moo, she just will not drop it! Now we ahve a frisbee which she is only allowed to play with outside and this she will generally drop everytime and sticks she launches at your feet to throw again, but balls are hopeless! She used to drop them though which is the strange thing. I think Roxy will drop with a treat as any dog would and as you said make sure you have a word in place for it! I'd also love to know if anyone has suggestions!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13 2011, 14:12

Teaching the "leave" command would be really good it helps in all situation food on the table, nipping, ball in mouth etc persistance is the key like Janey said and plenty of practice, place a bit food on the floor not allowing her to go for it while using the leave command gotta be quick though same as with the balls ask her to leave or when she drops the ball on her own use the word, you could try placing your hand on the ball and holding it while its in her mouth (don't try to pull it out this will encourage chase and bite) and ask her to leave while turning the ball slightly if she leaves then reward.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13 2011, 15:29

Blue used to do this but he has got better.
I got round it by taking 2 balls.
Throw one and when they come back show them the 2nd ball and say drop.
Most of the time they will drop the ball while looking at the other in your hand. As soon as they drop say good girl and reward her by throwing the ball to chase. As she chases that ball pick the other one up and repeat.
It won't take long for her to assosiate the word drop with dropping the ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13 2011, 16:41

Dempsey knows the 'leave' command very well - except when it comes to sticks. He won't give up a stick without a fight. However, if I throw something (ball, stick, frisbee) and he's a bit tired or there's something more interesting, he'll look at me as if to say "You threw it - you get it!" and turns his back on it!

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Mar 13 2011, 22:28

Caryll wrote:Dempsey knows the 'leave' command very well - except when it comes to sticks. He won't give up a stick without a fight. However, if I throw something (ball, stick, frisbee) and he's a bit tired or there's something more interesting, he'll look at me as if to say "You threw it - you get it!" and turns his back on it!
Ha ha I thought you said Dempsey was thick applause
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13 2011, 22:31

Well, yes, he's thick. But he's not stupid!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down