Are Staffies unique?

+3
Kathy
janey
Jenc
7 posters

Go down

Are Staffies unique? Empty Are Staffies unique?

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue Apr 09 2013, 08:29

I am being a bit greedy with all my posts today. Sorry for clogging the board. But I was thinking whether I would love my dog regardless of his breed or whether there is something about Staffies/this particular Staffy that is different from or that suits me better than other breeds. I have heard people talk about having had several dogs but never quite getting over one in particular. Do you think this is breed-specific or is it just luck? Have you had other dogs and do you have a different relationship/experience with a Staffy?
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Are Staffies unique? Empty Re: Are Staffies unique?

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 08:32

Bit of both luck and breed, I think. Staffs are often credited with being the most loving, human-friendly breed there is, so that appeals to a lot of people. A lot of people say once you have a Staff you'll never want another breed. I see where they're coming from, but I don't agree because I've had Boxers and find them (almost) just as loving and clingy, just as playful and just as funny. So I think it also depends on the dog's individual personality, some dogs are clingier than others. Different dogs suit a person's different lifestyle, so the breed is a big factor, but not the only factor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 09:30

I had an English Bulldog I was very attached to. She was much more laid back and very independant if I needed her to be. She was happy to be left home alone or to go lie in her bed if I had to work. She was also okay with much less exercise on a daily basis. This was perfect for me at the time because I traveled alot and moved every 18 months or so and was single.

Suki is a better fit for me now that I am married and have someone to help with the exercise she needs to be happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Tue Apr 09 2013, 09:33

I think staffies are unique, like a person in a dog's skin Love Struck

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Are Staffies unique? B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 09 2013, 10:05

I agree I think Staffs are unique but then I wouldn't want another breed Love Struck
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 10:10

Staffies are unique. I met a woman once when I was out with the dogs, she used to have Staffs and was a judge in shows. She now has 2 Vislas and she said she wished she still had Staffs Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 11:10

Hard question.

My first dogs were Border Collies, then BSDs, GSDs & then a Staff. The fact that I now have an EBT would say that I would have another breed, but I do think there's something special about the bullies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 11:20

Hmmm it is a hard question.. IMO I think it is more the dog than the breed.. I have lived in a house with 7 boxers (with a breeder & exhibitor) and although I loved them all, and I loved when we would have a houseful of puppies, out of all of them 1 in particular stole my heart, my Beej Love Struck He was my baby boy and when I lost him I thought I would never feel like that about another dog... BUT.. Then 8 yrs later I met my Steffi girl and fell every bit as in love with her Love Struck I

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Apr 09 2013, 11:20

I think that every living creature is unique in it's own way just as we are. Dogs do appear to have their own personalities though probably more so than any other animal or it could just be because they are domesticated and spend a lot of time with us.

Staffies are definitely a loving breed and show affection, I think, like few others. I would love to have had another one but dont think I will be able to have another dog.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 11:21

I agree though that staffies are really special Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Apr 09 2013, 11:53

Hard to say, my mums always had lots of dogs but Daisy is the first one that's all mine!! Can't imagine having another breed now personally Love Struck
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 12:03

Hmmm very hard to say but I think it's a bit of both! I've always loved German shepherds after my aunty having quite a few of them, but working in a general boarding kennels for any breed with a section rescue staffies I honestly don't think there's any breed quite like them! Big Grin even the staffies that come in for boarding are just great! staffies are now my favorite breed, I just think there's something about them! I guess it's all personal preference as no dog is the same and no breed is the same? But I personally feel like you can't beat a big silly staffie Smile I'm sure if you posted this on a different breed sight they'd give you plenty of reasons why their breed is unique too Laughing staffords truly have my heart though Love Struck personally can't ever imagine, or have any desire to have another breed Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 12:07

big dog characteristics in a small breed.. IMO staffies are the ultimate breed.

I prefer short fur dogs and i prefer wide heads with small ears...
(Im weird maybe lol)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 12:13

I personally think Staffords are unlike any other breed. I've met loads of dogs but I find all Staffords to be unlike others.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 12:22

MatLogan wrote:I personally think Staffords are unlike any other breed. I've met loads of dogs but I find all Staffords to be unlike others.
yeah i agree

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue Apr 09 2013, 14:37

In what way are they different?

Chiara: about the woman with the Vizslas... why did she prefer Staffs?

Sometimes I look at other dogs in the park and think thank God I don't have one of those. I am particularly biased against labradors because their owners are such a pain (often).

I am glad I have big and small dog in one package! I can JUST pick him up.

Also, he is so up for it and brave and never ever behaves pathetically or like a wimp (unlike me).
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony n Jane Tue Apr 09 2013, 19:20

CodlingKid wrote:Hmmm very hard to say but I think it's a bit of both! I've always loved German shepherds after my aunty having quite a few of them, but working in a general boarding kennels for any breed with a section rescue staffies I honestly don't think there's any breed quite like them! Big Grin even the staffies that come in for boarding are just great! staffies are now my favorite breed, I just think there's something about them! I guess it's all personal preference as no dog is the same and no breed is the same? But I personally feel like you can't beat a big silly staffie Smile I'm sure if you posted this on a different breed sight they'd give you plenty of reasons why their breed is unique too Laughing staffords truly have my heart though Love Struck personally can't ever imagine, or have any desire to have another breed Smile

I agree that other breed owners would say theirs was unique. But i've never known other breeds to sit on your knee put their head on your out streached hand and fall fast asleep, sat up! , now thats unique lol Smile
Tony n Jane
Tony n Jane
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Are Staffies unique? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Ella
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and half
Support total : 54

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 19:26

^^^^ agree darcy sleeps on my knee sat up like a hooman Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue Apr 09 2013, 19:35

That made me laugh, Tonynjane.

Do other dogs sigh contentedly as much as my staff/staffs does/do?
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Apr 09 2013, 19:39

I've never known such a vocal dog as a staff, grunts, groans, snores, sighes, everything they do has a commentary!!
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 19:48

Wow , what a tough question and sure everyone has a different answer.

I had a BC from the age of 4 - 20 as my childhood friend and though he would never be surpassed.
Along came Tilly Love Struck . I can honestly say as an adult I have never ever felt more love for 2 animals in my life. I have to confess Tilly slightly comes out ahead but it is more to do with the fact that she is such a mard little softy , whareas Tommy is much more independent and has this mischievous little character.
For me I am 100% won over by the breed and unless I was to meet fierce resistance from the rest of the family (which I won't) then it's staffords forever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 19:57

I love staffs and will have them in the future but no they will not be the only breed i have, as theres loads i want Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aly657 Tue Apr 09 2013, 20:25

Staffies are unique, you get so much dog in a little package. Complete loyalty, devotion, and the funniest little animal I have ever known!! Manny is constantly by my side, I have been through some tough stuff recently, and still am, and he just knows when I need him to put his head on my lap, or give me one of his special hugs (legs on my shoulders ,) He sighs with content just because he is lying next to me, he is always so happy to see me, evEn when I don't feel very loved , and will never let me down. staffies are simply fab, and once yu have one, I really do believe you never want to change breeds, although I don't even want to think about when the awful time comes, I will always choose staffords!!!

Aly657
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down