janey
LukeNJanine
danielirl
Nathan
Steve.Sanders
Sazzle
12 posters

Go down

did your dog love hunt? Empty did your dog love hunt?

Post by danielirl Sat Apr 06 2013, 21:45

i ask you because my max his crazy to hunt chase birds and cats Surprised .Was yesterday in a field when was a open garden with some chicken and yess my max saw them and run like mad to hunt the big birds Surprised Surprised he catch a chicken lucky did not do nothing damage to her only a lot of flying feathers i was run after him putting him in the lead.i will never take him there again without lead
danielirl
danielirl
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
did your dog love hunt? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : max
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 75

Back to top Go down

did your dog love hunt? Empty Re: did your dog love hunt?

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06 2013, 21:53

Alfie loves birds! If he was off lead and saw one hed be off!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06 2013, 21:58

Logan has next to no prey drive lol!

He just walks past most animals. He has been around them most of his life.

My last dog was a Patterdale Terrier and she would have chased and killed anything she could catch Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06 2013, 21:58

Dempsey likes to stalk birds, but he never catches them. He has caught a cat, though. It had attacked him before and... well, he doesn't like cats. nail biting I dont want to s

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Apr 06 2013, 22:00

Oh dear, bless him, luckily no damage done!!

There are lots of chicken, ducks and stuff on the allotments round here, Daisy just likes to look at them, luckily!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06 2013, 22:01

Sazzle wrote:Oh dear, bless him, luckily no damage done!!

There are lots of chicken, ducks and stuff on the allotments round here, Daisy just likes to look at them, luckily!

Yeah, though it scratched up his nose! Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by danielirl Sat Apr 06 2013, 22:02

was like a lion when he chase the big bird Laughing he couldnt beleive is not flying and he is near to her Surprised

Last edited by danielirl on Sat Apr 06 2013, 22:24; edited 1 time in total
danielirl
danielirl

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve.Sanders Sat Apr 06 2013, 22:06

koda likes to stalk n chase birds and squirrells... shes got as much chance of catching one as me Big Grin
Steve.Sanders
Steve.Sanders
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 30/07/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Apr 06 2013, 22:29

Oh hell yeah! marley caught a squirrel while on his flexi. they both go mad in the woods for deer, birds etc and I have to keep em leaded at all times or they will just go for hours.
in the park its squirrels or moles lol
did your dog love hunt? 20130321_191037_zps8903b1da
and marley in hunt mode in the woods
did your dog love hunt? 285213_357092084404117_1046075007_n_zps77332949
they can nearly pull me over when they go at it.
Sadley they got a fox in the garden a few weeks ago, whole episode lasted less than 1 min. marley ran up grabbed it by the middle and carried it out a bush down the garden wherby laska grabbed its neck. no ripping or blood they just crushed it. looked like a bloody wildlife program of wolves killing prey doh
TBH i was really upset by it but it seems its a dog thing that happends quite a bit. even a bit unsure about posting about it.
did your dog love hunt? 20130324_1320271_zps09b9b7a7
such a loverly creature but I stood no chance of stopping them.
Marley is a true hunter and has an insane prey drive laska just follows him bless her. thankfully neither have any DA tendancies at all which was proved when a small dog rolled on its back and peed in marleys face on tuesday lol laska wasnt sure how to play so she just rubbed her cheacks on it...no idea what that was about but it was cute
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 08:25

Ah, poor little fox, but that's prey drive for you.

Anyway, I wouldn't really say Loki has a prey drive. He chases birds, but I can call him back to me mid-chase and he'll come back, or I can tell him to leave them and he will, so if it's so easily controlled, I'd say it doesn't count. We did walk past a cat yesterday and his hackles went up and he wanted to pull me to it, but it didn't seem as 'intense' as I'd expect from a dog wanting to chase a cat, so not sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 09:54

Tommy and Tilly both loe chasing birds and squirrels, never caught one yet though.

There was a big cafuffle in the garden a couple of weeks ago (early hours) and Tilly came back with blood on her face , we assumed they had caught a cat but not seen any evidence around the neighborhood yet and there has been a couple of sightings of foxes apparently so still a bit of a mystery

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 11:53

Yes she does! My girl chases ANYTHING that moves Laughing , flying bags, leaves, bits of paper, birds anything!!! She'll go into stalker mode and you'll see her galloping around then just freeze and lock onto anything that's moving Laughing she's never attacked anything though and she LOVES our budgie!

My aunties rescue dog was an ex ratter; she's a jack russle cross parsons terrier (looks like a little sheep!) but she is evil when it comes to hares, seagulls, sheep literally anything! Thankfully she's only ever killed one thing, she caught a seagull out the sky then rolled in it! sick but she does often run off and disappear for ages on walks!

Back to top Go down

Post by danielirl Sun Apr 07 2013, 15:28

i have a friend he has a husky he take his dogs in the woods to hunt he catch a lot of rabbits and foxes but one fox bite his dog very bad by the mouth they can be dangerous yours dogs was fast i think and the fox did not bite them Nathan
danielirl
danielirl

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Apr 07 2013, 15:31

Moo loves to hunt, if we are anywhere like a park or residential where cats maybe she is always on a lead, but in the woods she goes, squirrels are her main pleasure and we are in double figures!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 18:59

yer my Chance has a massive prey drive and has a couple of things up to now!

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeNJanine Mon Apr 08 2013, 22:41

bruno dives at anything thats smaller than him, birds cats small dogs lol drives me mad
LukeNJanine
LukeNJanine
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Mon Apr 08 2013, 22:52

Maggie's favourite thing to chase is birds but she will chase anything if she's off her lead and once she's spotted something that's it there is no getting her back doh luckily she hasn't caught anything yet she's too slow Smile She did try to eat my mums hamster once, my own fault I got him out and showed him to Maggie, one sniff and she went for him. Luckily I was quicker and moved him before she could do anything but poor Horatio (yes that's the hamsters name Smile ) pooped himself so he quickly got put back into his cage and he promptly hid in his bed Laughing
EmLou28
EmLou28

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie- May
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Apr 08 2013, 22:58

EmLou28 wrote: She did try to eat my mums hamster once, my own fault I got him out and showed him to Maggie, one sniff and she went for him. Luckily I was quicker and moved him before she could do anything but poor Horatio (yes that's the hamsters name Smile ) pooped himself so he quickly got put back into his cage and he promptly hid in his bed Laughing

Awwww, Moo loved my hamster, called hamster Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Mon Apr 08 2013, 23:09

Haha wished Maggie liked hamsters I would love another hamster but when I showed Horatio to her I swear she licked her lips before she tried her luck and went for the grab Laughing
EmLou28
EmLou28

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie- May
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue Apr 09 2013, 19:48

Anything that can fly is of not much interest to Rupes so was caught off guard when he almost assassinated a friend's rooster (fatal combo of loud squawking noise, bright fun colours, lots of fluffy feathers, wings that do not work, and legs that don't go very fast). I grabbed the cockerel out of Rupes's mouth. It was very close and I hadn't expected it.

In the park he runs after geese a little bit because he likes to make them fly but he's too scared of them when they're just standing around. No interest in pigeons, crows or any other birds except for a couple of cranes we saw the other day.

Squirrels: he's caught and killed one. Rabbits: he saw his first on the weekend and sped after it across a field, but didn't catch it. Cats: chases them. Not sure what would happen if it was an assertive cat.

He's on the fence with cows and sheep. I'm not sure yet what he'd do off the lead.

Foxes: no idea. I found a fox in a local park which was alive but had his head stuck in a thermos flask. I wrapped him in a blanket and took him to the nearest animal home. Rupes showed zero interest but perhaps that's because the fox was barely moving.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Tue Apr 09 2013, 20:24

Romeo will kill anything thats not a dog. he's caught frogs, squerrels and mice mostly, he's chased cats that we have seen wondering in the forrest but never caught one.
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by iamajc Fri Apr 12 2013, 03:12

Storm is really good at catching mice, cleared a house I used to live in of them. It took him a while to associate the sounds they were making with them, after he had he would sit up high and stalk them as soon as he heard them. When he found a rats burrow (from the Chinese takeaway) he was constantly trying to dig them out. They had burrowed under the foundations of a wall to get to the compost bin and they bins. He will chase anything that runs but if it stands its ground he's wary of it. Won't go near swans in the local park once they start hissing at him. Chased sheep on dartmoor so has to be kept on a lead up there, I'm not sure he would hurt them if he caught up with them though. The first lot of mice he caught didn't have any visable wounds he almost seemed gentle with them.
iamajc
iamajc
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Storm
Dog(s) Ages : about 7 was a stray
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 08:18

Yes, Kenny has a very high chase drive. Anything that moves. His love of the chase as caused us so much stress Surprised He's jumped of rocks into the sea and nearly drowned, got lost in a forest chasing a Motorbike, and he just loves chichens. He's constantly on-lead now as i dont trust him. Im scared of him losing him and never finding him. When he gets a sent, he just totally ignores us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Fri Apr 12 2013, 10:12

Pixee hunts for moles, squirrels, we feed the squirrels in our garden, she has yet to catch one Laughing , however she can catch pigeons, rabbits. I can tell her to leave, and she will, but by then its too late, as was the case with the baby rabbit. My son had to finish it off, rather than leave it to suffer. Poor fox, but thats life, nothing you could have done.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Fri Apr 12 2013, 21:42

danielirl wrote:i have a friend he has a husky he take his dogs in the woods to hunt he catch a lot of rabbits and foxes but one fox bite his dog very bad by the mouth they can be dangerous yours dogs was fast i think and the fox did not bite them Nathan
personally i wouldnt use huskies as hunting dogs as alough they have strong prey drive they dont retrieve so well in fact they have a tendancy to run, and run, and run and not come back which is my main bug bear with my two. they have great recal in normal settings but when the chase is on im nothing, nada, not even heard... I keep mine leaded at all times unless in an enclosed space and have to put up with the ridicule that comes with that. but I wish I could show people this post from sibe husky club uk
Fellow Husky Lovers,

Although very upsetting for us, if what follows makes just one owner STOP and THINK again before letting their beautiful Siberian OFF THE LEAD to RUN FREE once more knowing the dangers; then it's got to be well worth it.

Your treasured Siberian Husky is probably not far away frrom you at the moment; your HAPPY, HEALTHY, LIVELY bundle of FUN who means the absolute world to you. I'm right? Yes?

Well take another long hard look at him or her and try to imagine just what it would be like to have to go and collect your Sibes 'STILL VERY BEAUTIFUL' but 'NO LONGER LIVELY' body from the roadside!!!!
The life that he or she once enjoyed so much; snatched away in a matter of seconds!! No, not nice eh!!, and no it wasn't either; such a horrible image to remain with anyone, as it will with us ........ FOREVER!!

Kira escaped: she was NOT LET OFF HER LEAD TO RUN FREE !!!
and the tragic outcome meant the loss of our friend, our pet, our working team leader and our much loved, very special Siberian 'girl'.
A nightmare which takes you to hell and back we can assure you, the guilt, the hurt, the why's, the if only's, you name it - WHY PUT YOURSELF THROUGH IT UNNECESSARILY THAT'S ALL WE ASK?? !!!!

So next time your hand reaches for the clip of your Siberian's lead .... STOP .... THINK .... PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T DO IT .... Don't knowingly let it happen, don't RISK LOSING A PRECIOUS PART OF YOUR LIFE ... WHY ?? .... YOU'LL NEVER FORGIVE YOURSELF .......... EVER !!

Author: Andrea & Steve Taylor

and yes the fox did bite into marleys lower jaw which is when laska got it by the neck, he shrieked which panicked me but the two of them finished it seconds. its not something I like reliving but I understand its a natural thing we just have to deal with.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by danielirl Sat Apr 13 2013, 12:58

so in the end we have hunting dogs Big Grin
danielirl
danielirl

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 13:02

I don't, Loki prefer sniffing the grass to running after anything Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sat Apr 13 2013, 14:34

Mine all hunt. They have got a few things but I don't encourage it. Just part of who they are!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down