spayed bitches , when should it be done ?. spaying info needed also.

5 posters

Go down

spayed bitches , when should it be done ?. spaying info needed also. Empty spayed bitches , when should it be done ?. spaying info needed also.

Post by kye Sat Mar 30 2013, 17:10

when i took my wee staffie to the vet for the first time almost the first thing out the vets mouth was spay your bitch and it will be healthier and have less problems in later life,
i didnt spay her , i had no intention to breed her and still havent but i wanteed to look into it first.
and i would like to hear what you think about it .
i found out that bitches spayed b4 maturity have MORE health problems than ones spayed after reaching maturity and between spayed bitches and none spayed bitches in later life the spayed ones have more problems, if this is right why are vets trying so hard to spay young female dogs. why not wait till there mature.
im not %100 shure about what ive found as theres alot of contradicting reports about.
so any info about this would help and please let us know where you stand on spaying and why it should be done,
if your dogs been spayed what age was it done and what differences have you noticed in your bitch.

i understand spaying if its to help stop backyard breeding and unwanteed pups and even to keep the breed standard where it is .
i dont like the idea that we are being fed a line from vets becouse some people are stupid and dont take care of the dogs properly.
ill stop ranting now lol.
let me know what you know and what you think about spaying.
kye
kye
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : kye
Dog(s) Ages : 2.5 years
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3

http://mansonryan@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

spayed bitches , when should it be done ?. spaying info needed also. Empty Re: spayed bitches , when should it be done ?. spaying info needed also.

Post by kye Sat Mar 30 2013, 17:22

i just found a load of posts about it on here ,
kye
kye

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

spayed bitches , when should it be done ?. spaying info needed also. Empty Re: spayed bitches , when should it be done ?. spaying info needed also.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30 2013, 18:00

I've moved this to the chat section for you Smile

I've only ever had one female dog spayed before as other dogs I have had were already spayed.

I think it's best to leave it as long as possible to all her to grow fully. Vets want early spaying/neutering done because it's a lot more straightforward for them. However there is no real need to do it so early. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by kye Sat Mar 30 2013, 18:08

thanks for moving it, i realized after i wrote it that it might be in the wrong place , lol,
kye
kye

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30 2013, 18:12

No worries.

Basically all it boils down to is, never feel pressured to do anything unless you want to. There is no real need to spay/neuter if you are responsible and avoid any possible issues.

Logan will never be neutered, unless for a health reason. My vet is great however, she mentioned neutering but when I explained I didn't think I needed to she said that sounded perfectly fine and they recommend it just to cut down the amount of unwanted pups etc. But because Logan was happy/healthy she was happy enough me keeping him as he is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Mar 30 2013, 18:36

Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Mar 30 2013, 18:52

It is entirely your decision and not the vets. I personally do neuter and both my girls have been done young, 1 before her first season and Moo after both of which are healthy and built nicely with great temperaments Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Sat Mar 30 2013, 20:45

I agree it is a personal choice, we had Sophie spayed after her first season.
She was just over a year old and it has not calmed her down, she is just as boisterous as ever.
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30 2013, 20:50

There are various different opinions on this, so you'll probably want to put together the information you're given and decide for yourself which opinion you'd like to believe.

My personal opinion is that it should be left at least until after she's had her first season.

My mum's boss' German Shepherd was spayed before her season. Before she was spayed, she was a perfect little example of a healthy, well-proportioned puppy. Unfortunately, she wasn't allowed to mature properly and so she remained at that gangly, skinny adolescent stage. She's not unhappy, but very skinny and lanky. She's also very pup-like in temperament and very skittish.

Some dogs may be okay with it, but I'd personally rather wait until after one season, at least. Sure, it's a little messy and it's a pain to have to watch her like a hawk to ensure no entire males have access to her, but I think it'd be worth it to ensure that she gets to mature properly. Smile

So that's my opinion. Make of it what you will! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31 2013, 14:13

I'd go one step further - if you're going to spay, wait until after the 2nd season or two years old, whichever is later.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Mar 31 2013, 16:18

Personally I'm waiting until the mid point between Laska's second and third season. I've um'd and ahh'd over it an read up as much as possible and to me it seems to be the beast thing to do for her healthwise. I also have Marley in the house and even though he has been done it didnt stop him trying one bit. I ended up separating them for her to have a break from his constant pestering.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31 2013, 16:24

Vets annoy me to no end. I go if i have to but i don't listen to a word they say. I'm one of those annoying customers who tells THEM things lol i had no intention of spaying my girl but decided to after she was stolen, to act as a deterant and prevent her ever becoming a puppy mill should the worst happen again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Mar 31 2013, 16:34

Hayley wrote:Vets annoy me to no end. I go if i have to but i don't listen to a word they say. I'm one of those annoying customers who tells THEM things lol

I actualy found a good one, its in the next town so not as convenient as the 7 or 8 here. but they still have that passion for animals rather than £££'s. its a 30 year old father and son practice as well so they know they're stuff. It was partly on there advice that I made my mind up about Laska and the right time to do it.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31 2013, 16:53

Nathan wrote:
Hayley wrote:Vets annoy me to no end. I go if i have to but i don't listen to a word they say. I'm one of those annoying customers who tells THEM things lol

I actualy found a good one, its in the next town so not as convenient as the 7 or 8 here. but they still have that passion for animals rather than £££'s. its a 30 year old father and son practice as well so they know they're stuff. It was partly on there advice that I made my mind up about Laska and the right time to do it.

The one i use is about the animals too, they are all farmers so don't sugar coat things. They never once mentioned spaying to me, or vaccs or anything unnecessary. The treat the animal for what you brought it in for, no "extras"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down