any other ideas for a down?

4 posters

Go down

any other ideas for a down? Empty any other ideas for a down?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28 2013, 05:13

Vinny is just about finished his obedience course. He is extremely good with his sits; stays; heel work etc. But during this course we're supposed to be able to do all of that verbally - no hand signals. I know the tricks with starting with a treat on the nose; then next to the ankle; gradually taking the treat up to knee height, etc, as they get the concept of a verbal down. I've done it all with Roxy and I'm pretty friendly with the instructor so I get to learn the tips; but with Vinny...

He is so food motivated that he focuses on the treat and will not do a verbal down. (Although, he is just short of 6 months old so maybe I should relax a bit!). I can get the treat as high as my knee; but definitely no "down" for no treat seems to be his motto!

Just wondering if there are any other tips I can try? He tends to learn everything from Roxy except that Laughing

We have grading/graduation in three weeks, so there is loads of time. He is so young still though! day dreaming

Back to top Go down

any other ideas for a down? Empty Re: any other ideas for a down?

Post by Glasgowdogtrainer Thu Mar 28 2013, 07:01

There are a couple of things you can try.

1.Try saying "down", wait a few seconds, and then lure him with the treat. If you practice this enough, he will learn that "down" happens before the treat moves, and he will start to offer it in anticipation. Shower him with treats the first time he gets it right.

2. Put him on the leash, and wait for him to do it, show him the food treat. He might run through his whole gamut of behaviours such as sitting, backing up, jumping, barking etc, ignore all these and only reinforce the down. A clicker here might help, or a verbal marker.

Glasgowdogtrainer
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28 2013, 07:03

Thank you! I do use the clicker - forgot to mention that. Especially when he does go into a down, I click and treat repeatedly to try and reinforce it.

I like the idea of waiting a few seconds, thanks very much!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28 2013, 08:07

Logan struggled with "down" tbh, he can sort of do it now though. But only when he's been bad and knows if he does what he's told he'll get away with it Tongues

The way I did it was say down and as I was saying it I kneeled down with him and he just followed my action.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28 2013, 08:09

MatLogan wrote:Logan struggled with "down" tbh, he can sort of do it now though. But only when he's been bad and knows if he does what he's told he'll get away with it Tongues

The way I did it was say down and as I was saying it I kneeled down with him and he just followed my action.

Laughing sounds good! I can kneel with Vinny or point on the floor; but non-verbal cues are just not coming along. I think I need to be more patient Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Mar 28 2013, 09:15

We taught Pixee down by doing this, we used a treat in front of her, what we do is say down and our hand goes lower as she follows it, then we move it forward abit and lower so she has to lie down and follow it, then we give it to her and say good girl, and repeat it. She has got it now. But she was around one and half when we taught her this, Vinny is still only a puppy, he will get there. Good luck with it Big Grin
Staffy lover
Staffy lover
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by rainny/bruno Fri Mar 29 2013, 13:32

dogs trust got training videos online, they really good, bruno knows them all now. they have good down one on there, good luck it takes time, he only starting to do it without treats now
rainny/bruno
rainny/bruno
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29 2013, 16:53

I did the moving the treat along with the girls. When Lily was at pup class the trainer got us to sit with our back to the wall with your knees bent up. Put the pup at one side of your legs and the treat at the other. The dog has to get in a down to get under your legs to get the treat. You could try it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29 2013, 16:54

Thank you all the suggestions!

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Tue Apr 02 2013, 22:26

We taught Otis 'down' by getting him into a sit on our left hand side - with me kneeling next him and then held the treat to his nose and lured him to the ground and let him work out how to get it... Once he did it loads of praise and of course the treat. Some dogs do find it more difficult.
At our classes you get them to crawl under your legs which I think someone has mentioned again by luring with a treat... Hope it comes together.
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down