HELP NEEDED URGENTLY !?

3 posters

Go down

Sad HELP NEEDED URGENTLY !?

Post by hooch6 Sun Mar 24 2013, 10:33

Hi i have a staffy male wbo is 7month ild. he has lived with us from 8 weeks & has been house trained since about 3 month old. Other week for 3 nights on trot i woke up and he had been sick through night and poo through nigjt and eaten it. he sleeps in a cage.i just thought it was a bug n all was ok but now for the last two nights he has pood in his cage an eaten it throigh night. He gets let out last thing at night and first thing on morning. he has never done it before for the 4-5month hes been house trained.
Thanks
hooch6
hooch6
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : hooch
Dog(s) Ages : 23 month
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY !?

Post by Guest Sun Mar 24 2013, 10:37

Have you brought him to the vets over it yet?

Once on a walk Logan ate some mushrooms at the lake and did exactly the same thing. He was the same age roughly too. I brought him to the vet and they gave him and injection to calm his stomach and medicine I had to give him for 10 days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 24 2013, 11:16

What is he fed & when? It could be his food or feed times, but it could also be a chill or other tummy upset.

Is it possible for you to leave his crate door open at night? That way, if he feels sick or desperately needs to poo, he can do it outside the crate & won't feel it necessary to eat it to clean his bedding up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Mar 24 2013, 13:05

Agree with Caryll. Leave his crate open and maby put some paper down for him.

Sounds like a tummy bug - but eating his poop (he's subconsciously trying to clear up) isn't gonna make his tummy any better.

I'd try him on a day or two of boiled/steamed chicken and boiled rice - easy to digest plain meal. Might help settle his tum.

But - he's still a pupster so ultimately a trip to the vet to rule out bugs etc and he may need antibiotics xx
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 24 2013, 14:49

Just go with the good advice above , making a judgement over the last 2 nights isn't a change in behaviour and like us all sometimes need a while to fix.
As a temporary measure maybe you could set your alarm for every 2 hours and get up to let him out , If he's go to go , then he's got to go

Back to top Go down

Post by Otissmummy Sun Mar 24 2013, 17:07

I used to have this problem with Otis he would poop in middle of the night and eat it. This would happen every other night without fail and I was really tearing my hair out with it as like you he was toilet trained and would cry to get out but at nighttime he didn't.

A trip to the vet for a health check over showed everything was fine and he was perfectly healthy but he advised changing to a better quality food. I followed his advice and since then I have had no issues and no through the night accidents or desire to eat his own poo.

Otis is 8 months now but this happened from 8 weeks to about 5 months and the only difference was his food change.

I would get him checked at vet to make sure no underlying reason for it and the maybe just gradually change his food. See if it helps
Otissmummy
Otissmummy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 04/08/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down