Advice from the dog trainer

4 posters

Go down

Advice from the dog trainer Empty Advice from the dog trainer

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16 2013, 15:58

Spoke with my trainer earlier about Alfies biting and im not too sure on her advice

She suggested a house line so that when he starts biting i can hold him away from me so he cant bite me and then to put him in his crate for a bit until he calms down. But surely you shouldnt use the crate as punishment?

Back to top Go down

Advice from the dog trainer Empty Re: Advice from the dog trainer

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16 2013, 16:00

No, don't put him in the crate as punishment. I've had Loki on the lead in the house to train him not to do certain things, so that might help, but it can just as much work without it. Your choice really, but definitely leave out the time-out in the crate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Mar 16 2013, 16:03

When he nips/bites or mouths you, u need to shout 'ouch' sharply and loudly to almost shock him into letting go and backing off. Then walk away and ignore him.

My male Tank learnt this really quickly - they hate being ignored.

Maby even try going OTT with the good behaviour and sit stay paw down training with rewards - so the naughty behaviour reaction from u has a much bigger impact.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sat Mar 16 2013, 16:36

I wouldn't use the crate as a time out area; have you got another room you could put him in or a baby gate you could put him behind while he calms down?

Galadriel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16 2013, 18:27

Tara wrote:No, don't put him in the crate as punishment. I've had Loki on the lead in the house to train him not to do certain things, so that might help, but it can just as much work without it. Your choice really, but definitely leave out the time-out in the crate.

Is the house line good tara?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16 2013, 18:29

That's not good advice for someone in your position that is using the crate as a safe place to discourage nervous/bad behaviour. Silly trainer! shame on you

The second you'd use the crate as punishment you'd see he previous problems all come back.

The best way is to put him in the bedroom/bathroom (somewhere boring) for a few minutes then let him back in. Then repeat it right away if he keeps at it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16 2013, 18:34

EllieSmith wrote:
Tara wrote:No, don't put him in the crate as punishment. I've had Loki on the lead in the house to train him not to do certain things, so that might help, but it can just as much work without it. Your choice really, but definitely leave out the time-out in the crate.

Is the house line good tara?

I just used the normal lead, it was OK, but find that it doesn't make much of a difference whether he's on a lead or not. Easier to get him off/away from things or people when he's doing something wrong, but to me that wasn't as important as the actual "no" and then turning my back on him. So, personally, I think if you want to try it then go ahead, it won't do any harm (not the crate part though), but that it isn't needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Mar 16 2013, 21:47

no way, crate is a safe place and somewhere to den in not a punishment. a good place for time out is the loo for about a min minus bleach etc. I know i banging on about it but its worked wonders for my two and it only takes a couple of times to get the point accross.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Mar 17 2013, 11:06

I would agree with everyone here. I've got the same problem with Debo,he's better with my OH. My OH only has to say "Aaa" in deep voice like a worning. For me it takes more. I have to stand up, be still and ignore him,only when he sits down and no teeth on my skin I stroke him. With this he's a slow learner.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 17 2013, 11:16

I do too, im surprised she suggested it tbh! He listens to my mum when she says no but with me it means nothing. Definitely not going to put him in his crate though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 17 2013, 12:08

Holding him away from you will be more likely to confuse or scare him. Sad Honestly, although it can take a while, the yelp or No & ignore is still the best way to stop nipping.

As to the crate, I did put Dempsey in his crate for time out in the early days, but only when he was misbehaving because of over tiredness. He would then curl up & sleep. I wouldn't use the crate for punishment in any other way, though.

To be honest, I think I'd look for a different trainer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down