loopyblonde
Nosipho
Tys mummy
hopefulnewowner
8 posters

Go down

New to forum! Empty New to forum!

Post by hopefulnewowner Thu Mar 03 2011, 09:07

Hi all! Been reading this forum for a few days now as hopefully tomorrow me and my partner will be the the proud new owners of a little tan and white female staffy that me and my partner are going to call Jess (pictured in avatar best pic we could get lol)! We're getting her from our local RSPCA centre she's been in there now since last Friday. We went there on Saturday and being honest due to media reputation and the area where we live I was adament that a staffy was out of the question. Anyway here the saying 'A Dog Chooses It's Owners' came to light and she just stood out from all the rest. All the other dogs were going beserk and she was just sat in her cage basically keeping herself to herself, tbh we didn't even notice her at first but once I spotted her that was it mind near enough made up. She just reacted to my presence then to my partner and we were hooked, so we asked if we could meet her. She was amazing very well mannered, playful and obediant but with that tweak of cheekiness to go with it. We've been back to see her twice since got her reserved (on Sunday) and we've been waiting anxiously as because she was micro chipped we've had to wait to see if her owner came forward but luckily hasn't and now we've got our home visit tomorrow which I'm nervous about but know we'll be fine. Anyway been doing a bit of research about staffys since and it does really appear that they are very much ill interpreted especially in the media but then again any dog is a danger in the wrong hands as stated by the RSPCA who say that Lurchers are one of the more likely dogs to attack, but have high praise for staffs and find it real sad that they get so many in as strays. Anyway keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow coz I'll be devastated if we don't get her (never in a million years thought I'd say that about a staffy) and would be very welcoming to find out from other owners what to expect and any advice. Mike & Gemma!!! wave
hopefulnewowner
hopefulnewowner
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jess
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New to forum! Empty Re: New to forum!

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 10:17

First of all congratulations!!! She looks gorgeous! Both mine are rescues, Ty we rescued at 6 months and Kaos at 11 weeks. The best advice i can give u is as soon as she arrives start a strict rountine with her and make sure u already have your rules set out so there is no confusion for her. Dogs love routine and also consistancy. Decide if u do or dont want her on the sofa bed ect and stick to whatever u decide as "sometimes" can be very confusing. Im sure u will have a lot more questions later down the line and we will all be happy to help x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 10:41

Oh, brilliant! What a fantastic thing to be looking forward to, I bet you can't wait.

As Carly says, work out now what your dog wiill or won't be allowed to do & stick to it. Be consistent, with fair but firm handling & loads of praise & love & she'll be the best investment you ever made!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Back to top Go down

Post by hopefulnewowner Thu Mar 03 2011, 11:03

blaze wrote:First of all congratulations!!! She looks gorgeous! Both mine are rescues, Ty we rescued at 6 months and Kaos at 11 weeks. The best advice i can give u is as soon as she arrives start a strict rountine with her and make sure u already have your rules set out so there is no confusion for her. Dogs love routine and also consistancy. Decide if u do or dont want her on the sofa bed ect and stick to whatever u decide as "sometimes" can be very confusing. Im sure u will have a lot more questions later down the line and we will all be happy to help x

Thank You! We both have already discussed our rules and routines for her so we're getting ourselves well prepared in advance. I haven't had a dog for about 16 years now and at the time was living with parents and they we're well strict so basically I had to keep it out the way and it couldn't have the run of the house which I hated so with Jess she's gonna be able to stretch her legs where ever she wants. But her main sleeping area is going to be in the kitchen (which is a good size and access to backgarden) going to put a safety gate in kitchen doorway for now as I have a 5 year old son who stays with me at weekends just to keep her there when I have him till he gets use to her. I know we'll be fine with her as Gemma my partner has always had dogs so she knows what she's doing which is good and before we got our own place together at her parents she had 3 dogs a Bull Mastiff, Lab SBT cross and a Lab so just glad she'll know full well what to do and how to handle her. Also with the adoption pack from the RSPCA you get some free obediance classes which is good!
hopefulnewowner
hopefulnewowner

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 11:05

She looks gorgeous in your avatar, and you sounds like you have evrything planned!

Good luck, I'm sure she'll be perfect for you!

Back to top Go down

Post by hopefulnewowner Thu Mar 03 2011, 11:09

Caryll wrote:Oh, brilliant! What a fantastic thing to be looking forward to, I bet you can't wait.

As Carly says, work out now what your dog wiill or won't be allowed to do & stick to it. Be consistent, with fair but firm handling & loads of praise & love & she'll be the best investment you ever made!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks! Yea really can't wait as we have both had such bad luck of late but being around her when we've visited her this last week has cheered us both up bigtime so really can't wait. Going to see her again tomorrow before the home visit just hope all goes well!
hopefulnewowner
hopefulnewowner

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 11:10

You must tell us how it goes, and take a camera!

Back to top Go down

Post by hopefulnewowner Thu Mar 03 2011, 11:18

Caryll wrote:You must tell us how it goes, and take a camera!

Took the avatar pic of her on my mobile she wouldn't stay still long enough to get a better one but as soon as we get her home which we're determind to will defo get some better ones!!! Will defo keep you updated!!!
hopefulnewowner
hopefulnewowner

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 12:32

Congratulations hope all goes well for you they are such fantastic dogs such treasures Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 12:47

Hiya and welcome to the forum.

I too was adamant about not having a staffy for a long time, mainly because I was worried about the safety of my children due to all the bad press they get. When I met my dads 4 year old staff, I couldnt believe how placid he was and he was sooo good with my children. I did some research and rethought my 'strictly no staffy' plan. I now have my gorgeous Charlie and wouldn't change him for the world. he is amazing with my children, fantastic with other dogs and loves everybody. They are truly the most fantastic breed, and I am soooo thankful that I stopped believing the rubbish I read, did my own research and went for it. We've had Charlie for 13 weeks now and he is a big part of the family.

Good luck with Jess, and well done for giving a staffy a forever home Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tys mummy Thu Mar 03 2011, 12:48

Congratulations its great that your looking into rescuing. Staffys are really great dogs she looks like a little stunner fingers crossed all goes well for you with the visit. Hope to see and hear more from you soon.
Tys mummy
Tys mummy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ty
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Mar 03 2011, 14:02

Thats great news, well done for rescuing a staff they really are a breed that doesn't deserve their media reputation! Look forward to hearing more about her and seeing loads more photos Smile

I like that the RSPCA are giving new owners some free obedience classes, this will give people who are adopting a new dog an idea of how they should be handling them. Hopefully it will result in less newly adopted dogs being brought back to the kennels.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by loopyblonde Thu Mar 03 2011, 14:15

Hi,

Just wanted to say I didn't want a staffy either. I've had one before and didn't want to deal with the snubbing and grief you sometimes get but hey presto! I ended up with another staffy lol! I've only had mine for 6 days and she's amazing so well behaved.

I agree with what others have said, have your rules and stick them however hard it is. Also good training is key, you definitely want a dog that comes back when you call it no matter the distraction and one that doesn't bowl all visitors over when they walk through the door!

Hope all goes well and you bring her home soon!
loopyblonde
loopyblonde
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 14:20

hello and welcome, what a lovely dog

Back to top Go down

Post by sooz225 Thu Mar 03 2011, 14:35

Hiya and welcome to the forum. She looks absolutely adorable good luck for tomorrow. Keep us informed and get the pics up pronto lol. I'm aure you and your family will have a great time with her. xxxxx
sooz225
sooz225
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New to forum! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jake, Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Mar 03 2011, 14:49

Hello and welcome Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Thu Mar 03 2011, 20:45

Congratulations it so good to hear of someone giving a staffy a chance especially someone who thought she would never get one because of the media you will be so pleased with her there such a loving breed do anything to please and have great funny characters your in for some good times in the future Big Grin
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by hopefulnewowner Fri Mar 04 2011, 08:42

Thanks everyone! Bit nervous today sure everything will go fine tho! Having visit at around 3pm so fingers crossed!!!
hopefulnewowner
hopefulnewowner

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Mar 04 2011, 09:14

Fingers crossed Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Tys mummy Fri Mar 04 2011, 12:32

Fingers Crossed for you good luck hope all goes well let us know x
Tys mummy
Tys mummy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ty
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by debbiewaterhouse Fri Mar 04 2011, 12:41

Hi, Jess looks gorgeous, looking forward to some pics when you get her home Smile
debbiewaterhouse
debbiewaterhouse
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Divorced
Dogs Name(s) : Hollie & Dotts
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 & 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Females
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down