jola139
Billybunter
pongy
jshrew
10 posters

Go down

Constantly Buying Beds Empty Constantly Buying Beds

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 02:08

Loki is always destroying his bed. Currently he's sleeping on two towels/blankets because that's all we have for him since he decided to rip up his bed. The stupid thing is he loves how comfy it is, he was snoring away on it last night. We tell him to leave it every time we're in the room and he will, but as soon as we're not in the room, that's it. I'm not quite sure what to do, I'm pretty sure I've spent like £40+ on beds since we got him.

Back to top Go down

Constantly Buying Beds Empty Re: Constantly Buying Beds

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 03:07

What kind of bed do you but Tara? There are a lot of "Tough" and "chew proof" dog beds available although probably a bit more expensive they may last longer.. Like these
http://www.k9ballistics.com/

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LARGE-collie-labrador-pit-bull-DOG-BED-TOUGH-TEFLON-WATERPROOF-36-L-X-23-W-/290874659600?pt=US_Pet_Beds&hash=item43b97b1310

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 03:13

Not very tough ones, to be honest Laughing fleece ones with some...other material that I don't know. No match for him, so suppose the next step is to get one that's meant to be teeth-resistant. Not quite sure it will be, but never know. It's not like my money goes anywhere else except buying him beds for him to treat like a toy Rolling Eyes. Thanks for the links Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 03:36

Laughing Laughing You could probably find cheaper ones, but even if the tough ones aren't as warm and fleecy, but they would have to better than a few towels rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 03:44

Yeah. I feel really sorry for him but it's not my fault he hurts the things he loves Laughing I think I'll put some money aside each week and start up an account: Loki's bed funds. I hope he grows out of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 03:57

thumbs up Maybe we can have a charity drive,,, Please support us in getting poor Loki a bed, this poor pup has to sleep on towels, any small donations please rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 04:00

Does Steffi not try to kill her bed? How'd you teach her not to? Or did she just learn on her own that it's for comfortable sleeping, not killing? Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 04:25

I didn't have to teach her Laughing She just never has, don't think she has worked out yet that she could kill it Laughing Her day bed is a camping bed, it's aluminum frame and canvas so she can't kill it yet and tbh her fluffy bed she rarely as she is always in my bed Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Fri Mar 08 2013, 06:38

Ledger roughly nests and if he discovers there is stuffing inside then he has a field day but luckily he doesn't destroy his bedding, I was concerned he would when I got him so only got some large dog cushions off the market the small ones were £5 and fill his crate and got a double one for the car. Excellent value imo and they also do spare covers for a couple £ which I have stuffed bits of old duvet into
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Fri Mar 08 2013, 07:00

Tara,if towels are tough enough for Loki why not do what David did, i thought was mad but he bought a cheap single duvet and he sewed a couple of covers out of old curtains, he made 2 beds for less than £25. He used to say the curtain material was tougher and would wear less so if towels are thicker then maybe the bed will then be Loki proof. Worth a try it may be cheaper
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 07:30

It's not that the towels are tough, it's that there's no stuffing inside them so he doesn't care. He stupidly decides that only the comfy beds are worthy of destroying Rolling Eyes but that sounds like a brilliant idea, thanks Ali Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 07:52

Asda have single duvets for £6. I got Logan one. I just fold it in half and he loves it. He always hated proper beds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 09:09

You could try a large plastic bed for him? Put some old duvets in there and pad it all out for him, or buy vet beds! They're rubber on the bottom to prevent it slipping and being harder to drag out the plastic bed and they're super fluffy and warm! That's what the kennels here use and even some of the worst bed destroyers tend to leave them alone! They come in all deferent sizes so it might be an idea to buy one and cut it to the size of the base of the plastic bed Big Grin hope this helps! Loving the idea of the savings account though Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 09:20

I have exactly the same problem with Dempsey. As you know, he's a serial chewer & will destroy anything that he can get his teeth around.

I bought a couple of old ex-german army blankets off ebay, and put them on top of a square of Vetbed. On top of that I lay a cosy fleecy doggie blanket. That's all he has, and he's more than comfortable!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 11:13

our boys always had the plastic bed this is his second[ and last ]we got it big enough for a lab so he could stretch out Smile think i paid £17.99 for it and put a couple of dog blankets in it we have been lucky though he has not been much of a chewer..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 11:19

I'm sure he'd just chew the plastic bed too Rolling Eyes currently we've used some of the stuffing to pad out one of the towels and he's now extremely comfy. But it won't last long Laughing. Thanks everyone, been giving a few great ideas to try Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 11:44

We use a hard plastic on and use blankets, towles or whatever is handy as a cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by Billybunter Fri Mar 08 2013, 12:36

Old quilt and big plastic cheap bed always easy to wash and maintain.

Billybunter
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Fri Mar 08 2013, 13:09

That's why I've stoped buying theme. We use 2 old pilows,don't know why but Debo's not in to them.a
jola139
jola139
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Mar 08 2013, 13:52

Does Loki like to be in the bed ? if not that could be why it is getting destroyed. Rocky has never so much as nibbled at his, we are so lucky, we bought his bed from the shop at Woodgreen the same day we got him and it still looks the same to this day. Mind you it cost £60 and is from a company called Earth Bound. It's made from soft material but is very tough, we even put it outside some days for him to sit in out there when it's nice and sunny.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 13:55

Kathy wrote:Does Loki like to be in the bed ? if not that could be why it is getting destroyed. Rocky has never so much as nibbled at his, we are so lucky, we bought his bed from the shop at Woodgreen the same day we got him and it still looks the same to this day. Mind you it cost £60 and is from a company called Earth Bound. It's made from soft material but is very tough, we even put it outside some days for him to sit in out there when it's nice and sunny.

That's the stupid thing, he loves the bed, he curls up and has a deep, snore-filled sleep Laughing he just...enjoys destroying it too. Well, least I have a few suggestions to try Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Fri Mar 08 2013, 14:01

We have gone through a couple with ours. They sleep on duvets at the moment Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Fri Mar 08 2013, 15:34

Spent 40 quid on an apparent non destructible dog bed. It literally lasted 15 mins and there was stuffing everywhere. I mean everywhere. In the end, we just left it and stopped buying beds. Brutus now sleeps on a blanket on the floor and seems more comfortable there then anywhere else. Won't even try and get on the couch when we go to bed.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Brutus
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, woo hoo
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Fri Mar 08 2013, 18:07

tyke is a serial bed chewer, we bought him a rough and tough bed which he hasnt chewed but the stupid thing split..................would not recommend one of those as i have had to put my horrendous sewing skills to the test!!!

i would say try make one your self Big Grin
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 18:23

i buy the cheapest beds i can as Chance rips them to shreds when the mood takes him no matter what bed i buy Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 19:25

I would buy a cheap single duvet and use an old single duvet cover, will be cheap. Ask your mates if they have got any old duvet covers they don't want and just keep covering it! Lola eats beds and that is what I will do next. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by danielirl Fri Mar 08 2013, 20:51

my max also destroyed 2 beds Surprised and i buy for him a dog pillow for labrador very cheap 10 euro and is very comfy and he love it did not destroyed...i also have another dog bed is my westie bed and he sleep in his small bed and not destroyed don't know why Smile
danielirl
danielirl
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Constantly Buying Beds Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : max
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Sat Mar 09 2013, 00:56

Is this something the bed destroyers have always done? or is it something I have to look forward to?
Oswald
Oswald

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Oswald
Dog(s) Ages : 31/10/12
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09 2013, 03:56

Oswald wrote:Is this something the bed destroyers have always done? or is it something I have to look forward to?

Loki: destroying beds since 30th June, 2012 (the day we brought him home) Big Grin. If Oswald knows not to treat his beds like toys, he probably won't change.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Sat Mar 09 2013, 05:47

hehehe ok good to know! He's using my boys old soft minky baby blankets and snuggles in with them on top of his padded bed. He's had the same ones since he came home l-o-v-e
Oswald
Oswald

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Oswald
Dog(s) Ages : 31/10/12
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down