Walking Sasha is a BIG problem need help!!

3 posters

Go down

Walking Sasha is a BIG problem need help!! Empty Walking Sasha is a BIG problem need help!!

Post by DragonTheStaffie Mon Mar 04 2013, 10:45

Well I wanted to take my boy and my mums dog, Sasha, out to the fields and give her a good run since the old owners never walked her.

So she pulls like mad, so I gave Dragon to my brother since he won't pull at all and I held Sasha, she's very skinny at the moment and there's hardly any collars that will fit her and her neck is so thin that I get scared of hurting her.
She's still a puppy so she tries to go after anything which was a massive problem, she seen a bird and did a jump really high and tried to pull me into the road, luckily there were no cars, I then started to have her more closer to me, but my back and hands were starting to hurt lol then as we was getting closer to the fields she seen a cat and did not stop pulling me so I pulled her back and kept saying no, the collar she had on broke and she ran off towards the cat, lucky for the cat that it went inside of a house and lucky for me she stood there waiting for the cat because if she ran off she would be to fast for me to go after her... Also we were close to my girlfriends house so I got my brother to hold Sasha and stand like on top of her so she can't go anywhere while I ran to my girlfriends house with Dragon to get another collar. We got the collar but it was still a bit to big for her so I had to walk her very carefully back just incase she would end up escaping again, we was out for over half an hour and she pulled all the way and I pulled her back and she did not get tired at all!

We used the same method with her that we used with my boy to get him to walk to heel, but with her it does not work she's always in her on world and won't listen, my girlfriend thinks she might be a bit deaf that's why she doesn't listen to her name, but when someone knocks on the door she hears it, if I knock on the wall she hears and if I squeak the ball she also hears, so she isn't fully deaf but might be a little bit? Or maybe she's just always in her little world and doesn't pay attention to us lol.

I was thinking of getting her a harness but she had puppies not long ago (with her old owners we did not breed her), so her breasts are still huge and I'm not sure if it would be good for her or even fit her and be comfortable.

What could I do to at least be able to walk her? I walked her on the lead in my mums garden and she did not pull then and was kinda walking to heel, so practicing at home wouldn't be much of a help.
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Dragon
Dog(s) Ages : DOB - 25-12-2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 90

Back to top Go down

Walking Sasha is a BIG problem need help!! Empty Re: Walking Sasha is a BIG problem need help!!

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04 2013, 10:48

I would highly suggest a light harness if you are worried about her hurting herself. My harness calmed Logan massively and he now doesn't pull at all.

Also, because the poor girl had never been walked before as you said in your last bit you can imagine how much energy she has pent up. Also imagine how happy she is. Try getting a long training line and let her go mental in the fields and blow out some energy. Then you can think about training her not to pull just like you did with your lad.

Back to top Go down

Walking Sasha is a BIG problem need help!! Empty Re: Walking Sasha is a BIG problem need help!!

Post by DragonTheStaffie Mon Mar 04 2013, 10:52

MatLogan wrote:I would highly suggest a light harness if you are worried about her hurting herself. My harness calmed Logan massively and he now doesn't pull at all.

Also, because the poor girl had never been walked before as you said in your last bit you can imagine how much energy she has pent up. Also imagine how happy she is. Try getting a long training line and let her go mental in the fields and blow out some energy. Then you can think about training her not to pull just like you did with your lad.
Thing is she's that strong when I want her to stop running or if she runs towards the exit way and I want her to come back the long training line will not be strong enough to pull her back because they're normally very thin? She's sooo strong it's unreal although she's basically all bones because she's that skinny she's really strong, my hands are still hurting for walking her yesterday LOL but my plan was letting her run for ages at the fields like you say because just like you said she's never been walked and so excited and has so much energy inside of her at the moment, and training her after a long walk would be much easier but I'm just scared that I will lose her lol.

Might get my step dad to come with me so he can help me out.
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Mar 04 2013, 10:53

It may be an idea to try the Ezydog harness as they are adjustable, have a padded chest plate and fix quite a way forward on the dogs tummy so shouldn't rub the boobies to much, have a look at the video in the link below:

http://www.ezydoguk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04 2013, 10:55

DragonTheStaffie wrote:Thing is she's that strong when I want her to stop running or if she runs towards the exit way and I want her to come back the long training line will not be strong enough to pull her back because they're normally very thin?

I use one for Logan and if they are strong enough to hold him I'd say they'd do pretty much anything lol!

This is the one I bought, it was super cheap and honestly totally changed everything for me, Logan was a different dog almost instantly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130564745049?var=430028073888&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Mon Mar 04 2013, 10:56

I double posted by accident, thing is since its not my dog I'm not the one buying her the things like her harness ill let my mom know about that harness and see... I know it's not my dog but it would be so funny to see my boy and her on the fields running like mad, because there's so much space they'll go crazy.
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Mon Mar 04 2013, 10:58

MatLogan wrote:
DragonTheStaffie wrote:Thing is she's that strong when I want her to stop running or if she runs towards the exit way and I want her to come back the long training line will not be strong enough to pull her back because they're normally very thin?

I use one for Logan and if they are strong enough to hold him I'd say they'd do pretty much anything lol!

This is the one I bought, it was super cheap and honestly totally changed everything for me, Logan was a different dog almost instantly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130564745049?var=430028073888&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Ill tell my mum to get something like that, I might go on the weekend with my step dad to the fields with just Sasha to let her off the lead, with him there I would not have to worry as much as its his dog and if she runs off they wouldn't blame me that's my only problem lol but I doubt she would run off its a massive field and even if she did she would have no where to go so we could always get her.

After she burns some energy off it should be much more easier to train her and she probably won't pull as much on the lead.
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04 2013, 11:00

If you get them to order a training lead on Ebay it'll be here for your weekend, this guy does all different lengths. Def worth trying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04 2013, 11:24

To be honest, it sounds a lot like my mum's boss' dog. She's rarely walked, so when I go to take her out, she goes absolutely mad. All training and sense flies out of the window, she can't hear a word I'm saying - all because she's so excited and desperate to go out.

It may be a little more difficult with Sasha, as staffies aren't quite as easy to train as GSDs. She probably just needs to get used to the idea of going out for regular walks.

In the mean time, make sure you get a strong collar or a harness, which is probably better for her neck. A vet will be able to tell you if a harness is alright for her after her litter. The harness suggested earlier in the thread sounds good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04 2013, 11:34

Ah, the poor girl, she's never been walked before so you can imagine how much energy she has, as well as all the sights, smells, sounds, etc. That plus she's young and you can see why she pulls so much! I think if she can wear a harness, that'd be really useful so you wouldn't have to worry about hurting her, and as has been suggested, she'll probably need a few LONG run arounds before she's even tired enough to listen at all. Keep training her at home too. I know you said it wouldn't help, but the first step is to train without any distractions, so go from there. Once she's a bit more used to walking, she'll probably listen more.

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Mon Mar 04 2013, 12:44

Thanks for all the help ill talk about a harness with my mum today. Smile
Can't wait to be able to take both of them out.

My brother was shocked on how good Dragon walks lol he never ever pulls lol
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Mon Mar 04 2013, 18:50

Cant really add much more joe all advise given is what i wouldnhave recommended.

Patiences is the key for your mum, it may get frustrating at times but will be worth it in the end
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04 2013, 21:26

nothing to add other than the Ezydog harness is very comfortable and high up as Kathy says

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down