Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice?

+7
Fryfogle29
Ben
racamoe
Mani
rebeccaleanne
Paul H
Steve
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Killing Burglars. Fair Justice?

Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? Pbucket7%Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? Pbucket 7% 
[ 2 ]
Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? Pbucket77%Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? Pbucket 77% 
[ 23 ]
Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? Pbucket16%Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? Pbucket 16% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 30

Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? Empty Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice?

Post by Steve Thu Feb 28 2013, 12:16

If someone raids your home, should they be met with ultimate force?

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? Empty Re: Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice?

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 13:03

if someone broke into my house and i felt thretend i couldnot garetee how far i would go it would be in my head anything could have happened to my wife and 2 girls so i think punishment would deff be on the harsh side Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? 148694
iv got a baseball bat down the side of my bed and i would use it in a instance iv also got a ball near by just incase i fancy a little game during the night so its all legit Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? 58957

Back to top Go down

Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? Empty Re: Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice?

Post by Paul H Thu Feb 28 2013, 13:09

The arabs had the right idea with thieves. Chop their hands off, they won't do it again.
Paul H
Paul H

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Dog(s) Ages : 1 - 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 13:23

If somebody threatened my family, I'd do what it takes to stop them - most likely straight into the kitchen to get a knife. I wouldn't go up to them with the intention to kill them, however.

Afterwards, I daresay I'd be horrified and disgusted in myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 16:17

No way. You don't have to jump straight to killing someone in order to stop them from being a risk, and certainly not with the planning to kill them in your mind beforehand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Feb 28 2013, 16:20

so you want just let them do and take whatever they wanted?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 16:27

I don't agree with using things like guns on intruders, thats just my opinion as i don't agree the public should be allowed things like hand guns "for protection" and by law licensed shotguns need to be locked up so you wouldn't have time fo dat.

But if there is an intruder who is threatening the life of you or your family then yes, you should be able to fend them off by any force necessary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 16:27

I'm normally a pacifist on most issues like this, but this is my number one fear. If they broke in to your house I'd say they'd be prepared to kill you if it came to it. I'd defend myself, no matter what.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 16:28

Paul H wrote:The arabs had the right idea with thieves. Chop their hands off, they won't do it again.

Heh. Here that would mean people would burgle a house to get the chop so they can then have a life time of benefits!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 16:31

I remember reading a story once that a guy tried to break into a wee old dolls house and fell while breaking through her kitchen window and claimed against her for breaking his wrist.

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Thu Feb 28 2013, 16:53

If someone broke into my home, a safe haven for my family and tried to harm one of them i would not think twice. If i was trying to fight them off and i killed them then they deserve it.....
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 16:54

Especially if there are kids in the house.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mani Thu Feb 28 2013, 16:59

Question not asked the right way. It should be: "would you be prepared to kill somebody to defend your or your family's life?". I guess most would answer yes, placing the value of a human life they cherish over a stranger's life.
As for losing property, it depends. If I think I could take the burglar out then I might give it a go, but not killing somebody over my TV! WTF? Punch him a few times and restrain him while we wait for the cops to arrive.
Mani
Mani
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mani
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male - neutered
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 17:00

MatLogan wrote:I remember reading a story once that a guy tried to break into a wee old dolls house and fell while breaking through her kitchen window and claimed against her for breaking his wrist.

That happens a lot and because of a loophole in the law they get away with it!! at wits end

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 17:24

Steve wrote:so you want just let them do and take whatever they wanted?

No, but anyone who thinks your only option is to kill someone or let them do what they want is an idiot. You can defend yourself without jumping straight to "He's broken into my house, I'm going to kill him." If you defend yourself and they end up dying, I don't think you should go to jail for it or anything because that was their own fault, but if you decide to kill someone rather than restrain them, then you have committed murder, burglar or not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 17:26

That's why I put 'Other thoughts'. I would never intentionally kill somebody, but fear is a very difficult emotion to deal with. Some people don't know their own strength, which can be heightened by adrenaline, and may accidentally cause a fatal injury.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Feb 28 2013, 17:31

if i found someone in my house i'm not going stop and search because you dont know what they are carrying so i'm be trying to put them down as fast i can even if that means killing them

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Thu Feb 28 2013, 17:43

Now, if I was upstairs asleep and the hubby wasn't here . I would creep into the kids room, call the police and let them take the stuff...I have home insurance. If they came upstairs and wanted more than money/valuables... I would do anything I had to in order to protect my children.

If the hubby was here, he would be down in a shot and he wouldn't hesitate to do something very nasty.

We are law abiding people who never harm anyone, It makes me so upset to think that we even have to think about these things banghead
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 20:27

should be made a right angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 20:29

Dave wrote:should be made a right angry

The problem with that would be that people would abuse that right. Kill somebody and get away with it by saying they broke into their home. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 20:32

I would never intentionally kill someone. However, our house is full of weapons - axes, chains, scythes etc - so if somebody threatened my family I wouldn't hesitate to use one to stop them. I wouldn't deliberately go in for the kill, though, I'd just try & disable (or maim!) them.

Hayley wrote:
Paul H wrote:The arabs had the right idea with thieves. Chop their hands off, they won't do it again.
Heh. Here that would mean people would burgle a house to get the chop so they can then have a life time of benefits!

It wouldn't be their hands I'd chop off!

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Thu Feb 28 2013, 20:33

Eleanor wrote:
Dave wrote:should be made a right angry

The problem with that would be that people would abuse that right. Kill somebody and get away with it by saying they broke into their home. Sad

its like a round about, bit like the death penalty
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 20:46

I do think you should be able to use 'reasonable force' with burglars. I suppose the problem is what is reasonable?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 22:43

I don't think you should kill an intruder unless you believe your life is in imminenet danger. If that is the case than you have every right to defend your home and family.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Feb 28 2013, 22:51

you dont know if you life is in danger or not i dont think i would like to find out also so if anybody comes into my house they better get ready for the biggest beating they ever had in their life

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 22:55

If you have a weapon and they don't your life isn't in danger. If they charge you or reach for a weapon then your life is in danger.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Feb 28 2013, 22:57

in moment like that you not going be look for a weapon and becasuse he/she asn't got one in his hand doesn't mean they dom't have one they could pulling out a sword

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 23:10

Why would you not be able to see a weapon? Unless they come into your room you have gone to investigate a noise. If their hands are empty they are unarmed. If they reach inside of their clothing the assumption is they are going for a weapon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Feb 28 2013, 23:23

that why you put them down quick just in case i rather not wait find out what they may or not have, i know someone who waited and ended up getting put in Hospitals for month

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Thu Feb 28 2013, 23:32

It's worth remembering also that a lot of society wouldn't be able to defend themselves as well as others ... Elderly , women living alone, less abled bodied . Those who are more physically capable would have a greater chance of using reasonable Force, whereas the only choices for someone less able might be to allow it to happen or use a weapon.
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Feb 28 2013, 23:35

yout right sarah

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01 2013, 00:12

Steve wrote:you dont know if you life is in danger or not i dont think i would like to find out also so if anybody comes into my house they better get ready for the biggest beating they ever had in their life

Yeah, but that's the difference between murder and defending yourself. If you kill someone because they might have been a threat, you've basically murdered someone when you could've knocked them out or whatever. Whereas if you're just trying to stop them and they end up dying, I can understand that because it's not what you meant to do, you were just defending yourself and stopping a threat. But you don't need to jump straight to killing them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri Mar 01 2013, 00:25

I vote that they take their life in their hands if they break into my home. If they clearly surrender, I wouldn't kill them (same if they ran out), if they even looked like they might be trying funny business, I'm afraid I would make sure that was the last move they made. Just my opinion and hope I never have to put it into practice. It would not be pleasant any way I look at it.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Fryfogle29 Fri Mar 01 2013, 02:00

I'm a Mom of 2 small children.. Break in at your own risk. Nough Said Big Grin
Fryfogle29
Fryfogle29

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Fryfogle29 Fri Mar 01 2013, 02:03

And, in an instance like this. I don't know what laws are for the UK or any other part of the world. Here in the sates, if someone breaks into your home and they get injured, they can sue you for getting hurt on your property! NO JOKE! So. My theory is, leave em alive pay for it... kill em.. pay for it another way... sooo lose lose situation.
Fryfogle29
Fryfogle29

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Mani Fri Mar 01 2013, 09:35

A lot of Internet warriors in this topic. "I'd get a knife and gouge his eyes out, the *". Sure you would, keep telling yourself that.
Mani
Mani

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Mar 01 2013, 09:37

WTF!!

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01 2013, 09:37

Mani wrote:A lot of Internet warriors in this topic. "I'd get a knife and gouge his eyes out, the *". Sure you would, keep telling yourself that.

That's a very sweeping statement. Are you saying that you wouldn't defend yourself & your family against a violent burglar?

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Mar 01 2013, 09:39

calling people internet warriors without knowing could make yourself look rather silly

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01 2013, 09:41

I can't find the eye gouging comment at all i dont know

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Mar 01 2013, 09:42

me too that why is said WTF

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Fri Mar 01 2013, 09:45

Steve wrote:that why you put them down quick just in case i rather not wait find out what they may or not have, i know someone who waited and ended up getting put in Hospitals for month

Exactley, what would you say 'have you got your weapon coz if not i wnt get mine!

Ben wrote:I vote that they take their life in their hands if they break into my home. If they clearly surrender, I wouldn't kill them (same if they ran out), if they even looked like they might be trying funny business, I'm afraid I would make sure that was the last move they made. Just my opinion and hope I never have to put it into practice. It would not be pleasant any way I look at it.

same as you ben, i hope to god this never happens but my automatic reaction is to fight if in danger (im not a warrior tho haha)

Mani wrote:A lot of Internet warriors in this topic. "I'd get a knife and gouge his eyes out, the *". Sure you would, keep telling yourself that.

What would you do then god forbid if someone entered your home
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Fri Mar 01 2013, 09:49

at the end of the day, when these thugs enter your home you dnt know if there their to burgle they could be coming in to do that and also take you family out, there are too many articles in the news were familys have been raped, tortured or killed in there own beds.

when it comes to safety of my family and home its top priority! I know that i can always grab something in an emergency that will defend myself. Another reason why tyke sleeps upstairs as any noise and he will n there first to alert.

its simples, thats our property our family what right do these people have to hurt and take what it ours, its sick and wrong!!!

got me ranting now angry
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mani Fri Mar 01 2013, 10:55

Internet tough guys. I'd do so and so. Of course you would. Whereas in real life 99% of humanity locks the door and waits for the bad guys to leave while praying the police arrive. Talk is cheap and unless you have previous experience of dishing out violence, or professional training, you're just a victim with an appetite to escalate a property theft situation into grievous injury for yourself. In extreme stress situations, most people freeze and can do nothing but run away. Somehow in this topic everybody has the killer instinct to grab a kitchen knife and go chop chop on another human being. Sure.
Laughing
Mani
Mani

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01 2013, 11:02

Mani wrote:Internet tough guys. I'd do so and so. Of course you would.

I'm struggling to find where you find this tough guy comments though Mani. There has been a good few comments saying they'd defend themselves but tbh I agree with them, I'm not belligerent or an interent warrior but I'd def defend myself. I can't find where you quoted someone saying they'd gouge someone's eyes out?

Surely it can be seen comments like this are exaggerated for comic effect?

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Fri Mar 01 2013, 11:04

Mani wrote:Internet tough guys. I'd do so and so. Of course you would. Whereas in real life 99% of humanity locks the door and waits for the bad guys to leave while praying the police arrive. Talk is cheap and unless you have previous experience of dishing out violence, or professional training, you're just a victim with an appetite to escalate a property theft situation into grievous injury for yourself. In extreme stress situations, most people freeze and can do nothing but run away. Somehow in this topic everybody has the killer instinct to grab a kitchen knife and go chop chop on another human being. Sure.
Laughing

Sorry, I think this is unfair. We hope that no one ever has to go through this in there life. I have had close friends who have been burgled and ye sthey have had to fight back t protect there family and kids. yes i agree untill you in that situation then you dnt know but this is a 'what if' situation and friendly poll

not everyone has a killer instinct but i stand by what i said.
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01 2013, 11:13

Mani wrote:Internet tough guys. I'd do so and so. Of course you would. Whereas in real life 99% of humanity locks the door and waits for the bad guys to leave while praying the police arrive. Talk is cheap and unless you have previous experience of dishing out violence, or professional training, you're just a victim with an appetite to escalate a property theft situation into grievous injury for yourself. In extreme stress situations, most people freeze and can do nothing but run away. Somehow in this topic everybody has the killer instinct to grab a kitchen knife and go chop chop on another human being. Sure.
Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? 646359

beleive me with the knowledge i have im no internet tough guy and working the doors over the years iv stopped a load of violence and when need be dealt out resonable Controversial Polls 14: Killing Burglars. Fair Justice? 413693(in my eyes and in the eyes of the law)force.
and before you come back with doorman bully more than 99%of the time dealt with no hussle bussle but saddly when you have 8stone lads off there face on drugs you may need to use force .
we as humans have a built in defence if family were at risk we would attack.

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Fri Mar 01 2013, 11:30

[/quote]we as humans have a built in defence if family were at risk we would attack.[/quote]

i second that.....and for your bouncer story, force has to be used at times agree with that, some are nuggets who think they are hard men when they out and feel sorry for the door men
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01 2013, 11:32

I feel sorry for a lot of door men too tbh. I watch little smart mouth lads push them to their very limit every time I'm out.

Albeit, one of you nasty door men denied me access to the bar a month or back as he said I didn't look 18, and I'm 25. shame on you Wink

Sorry off topic

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Mar 01 2013, 11:35

calling people internet warrior when you dont even know these people is just stupid IMO

Last edited by Steve on Fri Mar 01 2013, 12:41; edited 1 time in total

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next