Billy surrounded by dogs today

4 posters

Go down

Billy surrounded by dogs today Empty Billy surrounded by dogs today

Post by Guest Sun Feb 27 2011, 12:51

we went for a walk in the wood a bit later than normal, let billy off his lead, when a black lab puppy who was 10 mths jumped on top of Billy, and was playing with him, billy sat down and then rolled on his back, then another 5 dogs ran and joined in, then were all after billy, the play got really rough, I was getting a bit scared, luckily the owners came and sorted the dogs out.
Then the lab was trying to give billy one and then they all returned and were really playing rough, barking and jumping on billy, the owners immediately came and put their dogs on leads.
I was chatting to a couple of the owners and they said billy had behaved perfectly and something had set their dogs off and they were trying to dominate him especially the lab.
I was pretty scared for me and for billy as at one time i was trying to get them away and they did not take any notice. The owners of the other dogs were quick to respond.

How should i have dealt with this situation, was this good for billy or was i overreacting.

Back to top Go down

Billy surrounded by dogs today Empty Re: Billy surrounded by dogs today

Post by Guest Sun Feb 27 2011, 13:44

Billy has reacted in the perfect manner. The more experiences he has and deals with them in the right way the better the dog he will become.
Well done Billy thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Feb 27 2011, 14:58

Yes experiences like this one will be good in the long run but billy is just a baby and at the moment he was submisive one day he will be big and may not be. Id always advise by all means let your dog play with a dog you know the temperment of and will be okay with. But a strange dog you have never met before have caution and let them meet first smell and guage both reactions just to be on the safeside.
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 27 2011, 15:34

thank you, i thought billy behaved well. did not know any of the other dogs, but hopefully over time we will

Back to top Go down

Post by raverhayley Sun Feb 27 2011, 15:53

Yea we experiencedthe same with Bruise the other day, another staff come running up to him and he layed down and became submissive, they got on perfectly after that
raverhayley
raverhayley
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley109 Sun Feb 27 2011, 20:37

awwww. bless billy. Logan does the same. it can be quite scary when its a big dog saying hello!

But i'm sure when Logan is bigger it'll be the other dog owners that get a bit scared cos he is a staff!!
Hayley109
Hayley109

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Logan
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by removed Tue Mar 01 2011, 00:10

WOW!

removed
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 01:29

Good on you Billy..

Holly is submissive always at the moment.... so much in fact that depending on what sort of dog it is she will even squat and wee... but i am only talking about 1 on 1 meetings... she is also used to playing wiht my sisters rotti so she thinks all big dogs are chew toys... i have to be carfeful and let them sniff each other on lead to see how things go first

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 08:33

someone at work told me that it was the dogs way of saying, you can join our pack but you are at the bottom, and the black lab being a puppy also just had to reinforce it. next time I wn;t be so scared

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 12:05

Milly is exactley the same and she is bigger than some of the dogs we have noticed that she is worse when she is on her lead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down