Horrible coat on Staffy

5 posters

Go down

Horrible coat on Staffy Empty Horrible coat on Staffy

Post by stig Sun Feb 24 2013, 01:37

One of Stigs brothers was bought buy a woman who lives on my street, she never walks him and he very rarely sees outside, the other day I was walking past and to my surprise he was in the garden so I went over to make a fuss of him, and try encouraging the lazy owner to walk him. While stroking him I couldn't help notice how awfull his coat was, not dirty just, strange. I know Staffies are all different shapes and sizes but thos one was at the breeders house when I got Stig, he was too fat, too long and just like a fat lump of blubber on the floor while the other pups.played happily and bounced around, was cute at the time but I didn't even give him a second look, and I doubt many other people did as he was last to leave the litter, now he's quite a bit older and he looks terrible, his coat is brindle with patches of white however the brindle is covered in single white strands, on top of that his coat is also very "wirey" and no matter witch way you stroke him it feels.like stroking him from back to front, and then there's his tufts of fur, he has what looks like a "goatee" under his chin and his white paws have tufts of fur similar to a shirehorse, I'm not kidding if I could think of a genuine reason for the owner I'd have took a picture to show Ihow wirey he is, so I'm curious more than anything, I believe with some exercise, decent food and fish oil the coat would improve massively, but she says the vet told.her it's the "terrier" coming out in the fur, can anyone confirm this? I have never seen a Staffy with a coat like his ever, not on internets and not in real life, is it likely the lack of exercise and crap food have caused this?
stig
stig
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Horrible coat on Staffy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Stig
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Horrible coat on Staffy Empty Re: Horrible coat on Staffy

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24 2013, 02:09

That's really weird. A bad lifestyle does mad things to people, why not dogs too? Maybe it's that. Definitely sounds weird.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24 2013, 02:20

Lol oh dear.. Nothing sounds right with dog at all...

Is it a registered pure breed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24 2013, 10:37

Sounds very strange thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Sun Feb 24 2013, 11:58

No none of them are registered, but the father was kc registered and the mother was present and also a very nice staff, although she wasn't registered. I know the owners of 3 from the same litter and today also came across Stigs sister while out walking him, which I believe means I've now seen the whole litter recently and all the other dogs are looking really well including mine, to clarify the one in question was only too big in terms of what I was personally looking for and was probably not too big to be a Staffy, but the coat had none of the problems I've mentioned these have developed over the time the woman down the street has owned him, apart from this dog hardly ever leaving the house (the daughter tells me he's "trained" to do his business in the kitchen) he is also fed on supermarket branded tins of dog food with no supplements, whilst I'm not going to judge for not having the money to buy expensive food I know for a fact with a little shopping around a far better food can be bought for the same price, I often see massive bags of wagg for a tenner in the local cash n carry.I could be wrong about the crap diet and lifestyle being the contributing factor to the coat but I'm not sure about the vets explanation of this, if it's the "terrier coming out" why have I never seen a staff like this before, and by the sounds of it neither have you guys.
stig
stig

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sun Feb 24 2013, 12:47

iv never heard of the terrier coming out.......first one for me but i wouls put it down to a bad life style. Sad
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Feb 24 2013, 13:28

Does sound like poor diet and lack of time outside. As you say a good quality food does make a lot of difference to the condition of the coat. Could you not drop a few hints to the owner or even better point them in the direction of the forum for good quality, sound advice from many other owners.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24 2013, 14:11

Alfie is crossed with a JRT and his coat is lovely and smooth and shiny so doubt uts "just the terrier coming out in him"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24 2013, 14:19

If the bitch got caught by a random dog at some point then the pup could be a poodle for all you know. Dog breeding is complex and one pup can h e a different father than the rest of the litter. If someone bred an unregistered female then who knows what's been going on really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda Sun Feb 24 2013, 14:25

Sometimes in any litter of pups of any breed you may get one that looks wizzened with coarse wiry coat all over the place and look nothing like its litter mates, sometimes they dont thrive and most times are PTS, this one may possibly be something like that? There's a name for the condition.
Panda
Panda
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Solomon
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Support total : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Sun Feb 24 2013, 15:49

I have offered to walk the dog in question free of charge on the condition it is with my dog as Stig can be aggressive to certain dogs but is fine with his brother, the excuse is she doesn't want him getting muscly like mine as she will struggle to controll him when he's older, as for the food I got the arrogance of "if he eats it whats the problem", she isn't concerned the slightest and likes his tufts of fur as they're "cute" apparently. Don't think I'd be comfortable recommending the forum to someone with such ignorance to the welfare of her pet to be honest, I will however do my best to snap a few pics of him close up. In regards to the mother being got at by a random dog the breeder does have something he calls a "jack staff", which does have a very wirey coat so suggestion of 2 fathers could be an explanation. Is definately a strange one and in my opinion does not look like a full staff
stig
stig

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24 2013, 16:06

That sounds really weird. I think the possibility of another father is quite plausible.

Back to top Go down

Post by shazney Tue Feb 26 2013, 18:25

Definitely sounds like a lack of essential fatty acids in this dogs diet.
shazney
shazney

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 10 wks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down