Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'?

+5
Jimmyfisher
Fryfogle29
Sar H
janey
pongy
9 posters

Go down

Is it acceptable to let your dog wander around the street/park unsupervised?

Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'? Pbucket0%Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'? Pbucket 0% 
[ 0 ]
Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'? Pbucket100%Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'? Pbucket 100% 
[ 24 ]
Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'? Pbucket0%Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'? Pbucket 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 24

Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'? Empty Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 15:10

After what I saw earlier, I was curious to know how many people believe that it is acceptable to let their dog wander around unsupervised - whether it's a street or a park.

Feel free to explain your answers. Smile

Back to top Go down

Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'? Empty Re: Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'?

Post by pongy Mon Feb 18 2013, 15:52

No, i have met someone that didn't know where the dog was it was either in a field or home rediculous
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'? Empty Re: Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 15:55

Just read your topic about that. Sounds like an obnoxious prat!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Feb 18 2013, 15:59

Absolutely not!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Mon Feb 18 2013, 16:02

Eleanor wrote:Just read your topic about that. Sounds like an obnoxious prat!
I am not, well i try not to be rolling on the floor
pongy
pongy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 16:50

No. That said, there are a few dogs where I live who are let out to roam quite a bit, and one even walks himself around the field. They're all really well-behaved, it's weird, but I still wouldn't risk it and I think there is always a risk (of being run over, stolen, the dog getting attacked, etc.).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 17:21

a big fat NO!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 17:31

Def not. Most people I meet have no control over their dog to let off the lead let alone out to roam free.

That said, back in the bad old days, where I live was full of roaming dogs. It wasn't uncommon to see a dead dog at the side of the road either however.

I'd never allow it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 18:17

Quite glad about the poll results so far! I think too many people are living too far back in the past, where it was acceptable to allow dogs to roam freely in the streets. There is a much higher dog theft rate nowadays, as well as more vehicles on the road. Not to mention the risk of dog fights!

In my opinion, it's just a lazy owner's way of getting the dog to exercise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sar H Mon Feb 18 2013, 19:59

I can't imagine anything more worrying. I don't like Maddie being in the garden unwatched (and our garden backs onto other gardens with no way out).
Sar H
Sar H
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Maddie
Dog(s) Ages : about 9
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 20:24

Absolutely no! I'd go so far as to say that anybody who allows that to happen should be charged with animal cruelty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 22:22

I don't even know how people let their cats wander around, let alone dogs Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 22:24

No it's dangerours, irresponsible and most of all lazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 22:32

Have to say a most definite no nowadays , HOWEVER , when I was a kid 30 years ago (and a little bit more) my best mate used to go everywhere with me , follow me to the station when I was going to work and then send him off home , go round after tea and visit all the oldies in the sheltered accomodation day dreaming His life was over when the dog warden picked him up and we found him in Durham kennels and had to keep him on a lead , though in them days for lots of people a dog lead was a luxury item

Back to top Go down

Post by Fryfogle29 Tue Feb 19 2013, 04:45

"stray" dogs and or owned dogs that roam around unsupervised happens way too often and frankly it's a huge pet peeve of mine. No pun intended.
Fryfogle29
Fryfogle29
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmyfisher Mon Feb 25 2013, 15:24

my dogs are very well behaved on and off the leads,but i would never allow them to roam freely without me,they are only let off once i have made sure there is nobody around,when there are others and other dogs about the are on the lead. Laughing
Jimmyfisher
Jimmyfisher

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : precious and bronson
Dog(s) Ages : precious-6yrs bronson-2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : precious=female bronson=male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25 2013, 15:33

No. Absolutely not. My aunty would do this, and her dog got poisoned cause people were sick of it pooing everywhere and annoying everyone. She still let it happen and eventually he "disappeared" so i hate to think about it at all. I cant even talk to my aunty about it and tell her to shut up when she tries to tell anyone what a great dog he was cause he "always came home at night"

angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon Feb 25 2013, 15:35

Yeah why not yawn ... I kick him out the door before work, and he comes back when he's hungry i dont know

hee hee
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul H Mon Feb 25 2013, 15:39

Gawd no!
Paul H
Paul H

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Dog(s) Ages : 1 - 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Mon Feb 25 2013, 15:42

No!! a big fat one at that

there a house round the corner from me and we walk past on are way when walking tyke and theres a little westie that can have a wander if it pleases...........ridiculous!!!
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by shazney Tue Feb 26 2013, 21:59

Never!!!!!!
shazney
shazney
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Should dogs be let out to 'walk themselves'? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 10 wks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down