Some updates!

2 posters

Go down

Some updates! Empty Some updates!

Post by DragonTheStaffie Fri Feb 15 2013, 10:21

We've been training Dragon to come when called and to sit and lay down every time I ask him to, no matter if there's dogs around or anything that might distract him he still has to listen and do as he's told. This will help him approach other dogs since he's dog aggressive, because if anything ever happens I can always call him and get him to stop what he's doing.

So yesterday we went for a walk with my friend and his dog and our boy, Dragon has attacked that dog in the past but its the only calm and obedient dog we know, all the rest would just try to play to much which would cause Dragon to panic and probably attack... They were both on the lead the other dog didn't seem to want to get close to Dragon he still remembered him and tried to walk away every time I'd approach with Dragon... We asked my friend if he noticed that his dog was a bit scared of my dog still and he said "yes and he's scared of most Staffys now but it's ok because we have a few people that have Staffys so we can walk him with some Staffys and he'll soon pick up that he doesn't need to be scared"...
We've been teaching Dragon to ignore other dogs so getting them both to sniff was impossible as both dogs would try to walk away from each other... There was only 1 problem after about half an hour maybe an hour of walking and nothing happening Dragon jumped up at me for some cuddles Laughing and as soon as he got off me he launched straight at the other dog barking and growling luckily he was on the lead, but that was the only problem we had I mean before Dragon would pull me while walking towards the other dog to bite them, so I seen a big improvement for a long time he did not bother about the other dog he even walked next to him, which is good.

Now today we meeting again in a few hours and we going to bring a muzzle and let them both of the lead while Dragon has the muzzle on, I trust the other dog 100% not to shape at Dragon if Dragon growls or whatever, he's the most obedient dog I've ever seen and that's how I want my boy to be so walking with that dog and showing him how he should behave will be good. I'm going to train the recall while they're both of the lead to see how Dragon will react, he's came back when there's other dogs but they were always far away and always on the other side of the fence, so having a dog right next to him might cause him not to listen as well as he's been listening but with some training we will get there.

My friend said he'd meet us everyday so that's amazing within a few weeks Dragon should be ok with that dog and more friendly at least with that dog, and its always good to have 1 friend to play with and I'll be able to trust him of the lead with other dogs if his recall is good, so that's good. Big Grin
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Dragon
Dog(s) Ages : DOB - 25-12-2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 90

Back to top Go down

Some updates! Empty Re: Some updates!

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 10:38

Hope it goes well and glad you see an improvement Smile

Has Dragon been muzzled before? Make sure he's used to wearing it before you put it on him properly.

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Fri Feb 15 2013, 10:48

Yes we've been training him to feel comfortable with the muzzle so he doesn't try to take it off. My friend just told me he can't come today because something happened but he'll meet us tomorrow, so we taking him to the fields today play a bit of ball train the recall and see how he reacts to the muzzle outside, as we've only trained him with the muzzle inside the house. Hopefully things will go well tomorrow, so excited to see how he gets on.
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Dragon
Dog(s) Ages : DOB - 25-12-2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Feb 15 2013, 12:12

Hope it goes well with the recall training when you do meet up with your friend and their dog. That will be a good test for Dragon to see if he takes notice of you when there is another dog close by. Best of luck but I'm sure you will be fine anyway.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down