janey
Nosipho
Jenc
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Please help me Empty Please help me

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 08:44

I desperately need some help. Alfie has started chewing in the kitchen in the day because we keep him in there. He cant have the run of the house as he is not toilet trained. Yesteday he emptied the bin all over the floor. It has got to the point where my housemate wants to re home him. As some of you know I love this dog to death and I am absolutely heartbroken. Please someone give me some advice - would a kennel outside work or is that too much to put him out there in the day? Please someone help

Back to top Go down

Please help me Empty Re: Please help me

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 08:46

He sounds very frustrated to me. I might have asked this before, but is he def getting enough exercise? As he is half JRT he will need a fair bit more exercise than a lot of dogs as they are a working breed of dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 08:47

He has a walk before work and a walk as soon as I get in. I dont know what to do

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 08:51

How long are the walks? You could try crate training indoors as well. Vicks or bitter apple will help with the chewing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 08:56

Would the crate work though because obviously I am at work? He was so good last night though he came to bed with me and stayed there all night - no mess! This is the first time ever! I know I can crack that but its just the chewing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 08:56

It def sounds like a boredom/frustration thing to me. I'd really suggest getting out to your local pet store this weekend and buying a long training lead and letting him blow off some steam.

He just sounds like he needs a good run and sniff around. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 08:57

EllieSmith wrote:He was so good last night though he came to bed with me and stayed there all night - no mess!

EXCELLENT! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 08:58

Some people will crate them for a number of hours during the day. I have always let mine have the run of the house. I start leaving them in a confined area like a crate closed of with a type of barrier like a baby gate and slowly expand the area once they are better behavied.

The vicks or bitter apple are applied to things you don't want them to chew. They both taste horrible and discourage them from chewing things

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:01

At the moment we keep him in the kitchen with a baby gate so he cant get out. How do you suggest I introduce the crate? Im worried that if I stop him chewing where he usually does then he will move onto something new? I am desperately trying to make suggestions but it doesnt seem to be working, Ive only had him 5 weeks and I cant bear the thought of letting him go

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:07

The crate should be a place he feels safe and goes into willingly and not as punishment. He may also be suffering form a bit of seperation anxiety and still settling into his new home so there are bound to be some issues. If you put vicks or bitter apple where you don't want him to chew he should only chew what he is allowed to like his toys or bones

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:07

The 5 weeks is the real important thing here. It takes a long time for some dogs to adjust to a new home, especially a rescue like Alfie that never had any love/comfort before.

Once he gets past it he will be 100% perfect but it does take a bit of time.

Crating is a great idea, as I said once before check the local free-ad sites and you'll pick one up at handy money. But, since it's close to the weekend, get him out when you can for a good walk and let him release some of his energy Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:09

How would I introduce the crate to Alfie?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:11

Definately sounds like he's bored. Try the vicks but you need to distract him with other things to do. Plenty of good things to chew on, stag bars, bones, treat ball, kong toys or even a cuddly toy that he can destroy Smile Good luck
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:11

Here is a link that should help

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/crate_training

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:12

He does have bones and toys - he has the rawhide bones which he does like but they obviously arent keeoing him occupied enough?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:16

Read the link that Jstaff sent and it'll help. But just do it very gradually, make sure there are blankets that have a familiar scent on the in there. Cover the tops and side with a blanket. And in my opinion, never close the door. For Logan this makes him panic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:22

I think I am going to get a dog trainer in for some expert help. I know Alfie can do it - last night proved it because he has no accidents. I need to do something otherwise I will lose him forever and its not his fault

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:26

A trainer would help, but I feel that the issues you have are very easily solved with a bit of new techniques, crating, different exercise.

You have done a good job with the toilet training which is very hard with a dog that was never taught as a pup.

Having him rehomed is very abrupt for very small issues, just explain to your room mate you are working towards solving the issues. Don't fixate on the worst case scenario as being nervous will pass on to Alfie.

I used to live with someone, but I decided to rehome them and keep the animals. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:30

I know I have explained that he wont learn everything in 5 weeks if we dont teach him. I think shes just worried about the house because we rent, which I can understand. I just need someone to come to the house, see him in his environment and advise the best thing to do because I cant leave it very long - or he will be gone Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:33

Was he in an outside kennel in his last house?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:35

No, all she told me was that he stayed in the kitchen - whether or not he was locked in I dont know but he was obviously allowed to toilet wherever he wanted and chew whatever he wanted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:38

Oh right, it's def a hard thing to do to teach a dog to break his routine. It sounds like a bit of a cliche, but eventually it will just click for you. Using crating and the long training lead to burn of energy will help without doubt.

Logan has had two problems, separation anxiety from me, and hyper barking at guests and both of these things helped me. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:57

Looks like im too late Sad Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 09:58

EllieSmith wrote:Looks like im too late Sad Crying or Very sad

??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:01

Nothing I say will make a difference... hes going

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:07

Sounds like seperation anxiety and frustration. Mat's advice is spot on I'm sure an expensive behaviourist will just tell you the same thing. I would try the crate training. Can you not get someone to come and let him out in the middle of the day. We only ever leave ours in the crate for up to 3/4 hours at a time. Make sure he has had a good walk before you go out and get him used to his crate first. Put a blanket over it so its like a little den for him and leave him a filled kong and some water inside. also leave the radio or tv on so he feels like hes got some company and to stop him hearing things outside that will make him more anxious.
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:08

Oh no just saw your last post. why are you getting rid of him? You haven't had him long have u?
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:18

Please don't rush into anything, 5 weeks is nothing. My first staffy chewed up my kitchen, including the floor Surprised and when she finally had the run of the house she chewed all the heals off my shoes, didn't touch the shoe, just the heal Surprised .

It took a bit of work but she never did it again. As said crate would be the way to go, and sometimes these things happen even with the best trained dogs. I had a friend whos dog ate through the sofa and they had only popped out to get milk!

Give it a bit of time and try all the tips given Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:20

Crying or Very sad Ive tried but my housemate wont listen. Theres nothing more I can do

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:27

I don't think you should give up.

Your problems are very minor and are very easily solved. You really care about Alfie which is shown to us all. However, it takes more to make these things work. Both crating and a change in exercise are very easily done and I'd nearly go as far as guaranteeing you it will make a difference.

All of us here have had problems when bringing a new dog into the family. It's common, nothing to worry about and anyone who says they don't have issues from time to time is telling lies.

My girlfriend's Stafford was a rescue and she would not eat no matter what, but through trial and error we got her sorted and she is looking great. I had a dog before Logan who was blind and diabetic, everyone told me to put her down but working with my vet we worked out a way to manage her and she lived until 14-15 years old very happily. At time Logan has had me nearly in tears for bad behaviour but it it is so worth it when you sort the issues.

I don't believe in giving up on anything especially when it is so easily solved.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:29

I dont want to give up I am more than prepared to work on this, my housemate is not. I cant do anything else Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:35

Have a talk with your house mate and explain how important it is to you. Obviously your housemate has to be happy where she lives too. But if you make a real effort with Alfie now you will see a difference. Tomorrow is the start of the weekend, get yourself out to the pet shop and get a few things and go for a massive walk allowing Alfie to be a dog and enjoy himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:37

I have Matt i was in tears all last night she knows how much I love him but I can convince her

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:41

The only way to convince anyone is by proving you are willing to get it sorted. Rehoming isn't easy and Alfie in 5 weeks has been very good. Yes he has had a few issues but they are very minor. Look at some peoples problems with dogs being aggressive, barking, running away etc.

I hope I'm not coming across harsh but I really think this is an easy thing sorted. You have been thinking about crating etc for a while but until you do it you won't see a beneficial change Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:43

I know Matt ive said this morning I will do it but it hasnt made a difference. Im absolutely heartbroken but theres nothing more I can do

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:55

EllieSmith wrote:Looks like im too late Sad Crying or Very sad
EllieSmith wrote: Crying or Very sad Ive tried but my housemate wont listen. Theres nothing more I can do

Ok, no panicking! Calm down & ask your housemate to read through this thread. Let her see that there are ways to tackle this. He isn't a devil dog, intent on ruining your home, he's a confused and scared rescue dog that knows no different! He just needs to be taught, gently but firmly what the house rules are.

Whatever he has chewed, or whatever you think he'll chew, smother in Vicks Vapour Rub. It'll stink the house out, but he won't chew it! Make sure that everything movable that he could chew is lifted out of his reach every time you go out.

EllieSmith wrote:He has a walk before work and a walk as soon as I get in. I dont know what to do

How long are the walks? At his age he'll need at least 45 minutes each time.

EllieSmith wrote:At the moment we keep him in the kitchen with a baby gate so he cant get out. How do you suggest I introduce the crate? Im worried that if I stop him chewing where he usually does then he will move onto something new?

If you get a crate, make sure it's a large-ish one so he can stand up, stretch & turn around & drape an old curtain or blanket over the top, back & sides, leaving just the front clear. Put his bedding in there with a couple of sturdy, non destructible toys, and maybe a couple of treats & then let him go in on his own. When you feel he's comfortable shut the door for 2 or 3 seconds. Then open it & give loads of praise. Gradually increase the time the door's shut & he'll soon settle with it.

EllieSmith wrote:He does have bones and toys - he has the rawhide bones which he does like but they obviously arent keeoing him occupied enough?

Don't leave him with rawhide - it can swell in the stomach or choke him!

Come on, now - don't give up. He'll settle once he knows he's not being abandoned every time you go out!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:57

Its not just that, its the toileting and apparantly the doggy smell! Every time i come up with a solution theres another problem. I cant win Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:00

I think Caryll's point of letting your housemate read this thread would be very helpful. All the advice is totally bang on and by doing this you will see improvement.

You need to be positive Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:01

Ive told her all of your tips that have worked with you but shes adament it wont work. How can I stop him smelling like a dog! As you can see im fighting a losing battle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:05

Did you both discuss getting a dog before you got him? If not, why not? if you did, then he is the responsibility of both of you & your housemate should understand that if you rehome him again he will suffer mentally and physically from the rapid change of homes.

EllieSmith wrote:Ive told her all of your tips that have worked with you but shes adament it wont work. How can I stop him smelling like a dog! As you can see im fighting a losing battle

You can get a gentle puppy shampoo & give him a bath once a month! Big Grin

The toileting will improve - it just takes a while if he's never been taught what to do before.

Likewise the chewing.

PLEASE ask your housemate to read this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:08

getting off the subject a little do you stop with your flatmate or do you have equel rights where you are staying as i think your flatmate is being a bit hardheaded and maybe a bit out of order telling you what you can and cant have(dog)i think you should stand your ground and tell her you will get it sorted and she will have to be sympathetic for a couple of weeks to a month as if you really put your mind to it you will have it cracked in this time hopfully Big Grin be positive and stick your ground

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:10

Sounds like you need to tell your house mate to stick it where the sun don't shine and find somewhere else to live, I know I would anyway.

To allow someone to get a dog then tell them its gotta go because it smells like a dog is discussing, she realizes that this dog will likely not be re homed and will most likely be put to sleep thanks to her not giving this a real go.
johneva
johneva

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:11

staffy need 2/3 walks per day for a hour plus each time

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:12

We both rent the house so share everything. and yes we did both agree on getting Alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:13

Steve wrote:staffy need 2/3 walks per day for a hour plus each time

This^^^

Plus the fact the he is is a jack russell stafford cross. JRT's need serious exercise or else a good dose of mental stimulation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:15

Keep the dog and get a new housemate !!! ( sorry I know that's not helpful ) but lil Alfie just need a bit of training, guideance and boundaries that's all. Very doable, and you have as much help and support that u need with all of us here.

Crates are great, make it comfy, get him a large kong, you can stuff it with tasty foods and freeze it the night before so it's frozen and ready to give him in his crate when u goto work. Dogs like routine, calmness and stability. You will get out of him whatever you put into him.

Xx
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:15

Remember he has also just been neutered and his hormones will be all over the place making him a bit more confused than usual. You roommate needs to give you a chance, if you give in on this she will treat you like this for the rest of your tenancy together. You will be unhappy and will resent her for it. I think you need to sit her down and tell her you want 4 weeks to sort eveything out, its unfair of her to put her foot down and bundle him out the door without allowing you to try anything else.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:16

Thank you all so much for your advice but Ive tried everything I really have Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:20

What will u do with him ? You need to be super responsible with who he ends up with.
A rescue might be better tbh.
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:21

We are phoning our vets to advise us on a good local dogs rehoming centre. I dont want to give him away to anyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum