Apparently ear drops are the devil's spawn....

4 posters

Go down

Apparently ear drops are the devil's spawn.... Empty Apparently ear drops are the devil's spawn....

Post by Debs01 Wed Feb 13 2013, 10:52

Axl is a very unhappy staffy because those nasty ear drops keep getting him... does anybody else have problems putting ear drops in? This morning I had to give up because I spent too long chasing him around the house trying to put them in. He has an ear infection so he needs them but man... that dog can put out some serious sad eyes! lol.

I'll have to get him tonight Sad

p.s. just to confirm I don't shout at him or use any kind of aggression, in fact I try to be as gentle as I can because I hate seeing him so miserable!
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Apparently ear drops are the devil's spawn.... Empty Re: Apparently ear drops are the devil's spawn....

Post by janey Wed Feb 13 2013, 10:55

I'm very lucky as Moo just gets on with it and lets me do what I want. Might be easier if there are 2 of you, 1 to hold and the other to do the drops, and of course a lovely treat when done Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Apparently ear drops are the devil's spawn.... Empty Re: Apparently ear drops are the devil's spawn....

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:05

Logan has an ear infection atm too. I started giving them last week. He hated the vet doing it and just kept turning his head. But, he lets me do it. I just keep talking to him in a silly voice like a weirdo and it seems to relax him and keeps his concentration on me.

Remember to massage the bottom of his ear so the drops can get well in there. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:11

Thanks guys, you both sound lucky with your pups, Axl has an ongoing ear problem so I think he's just fed up with getting pulled about. I do try to talk to him in a silly voice and sometimes I try singing to him but I think that probably hurts his ears more lol.

Thanks for the tip about massaging, that's the only bit that Axl seems to enjoy lol.

I think I'm just going to have to ignore the sad eye face and do it anyway, its for his own good hopefully he'll realise that Smile
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:12

They do know how to turn on that sad look! Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:22

Debs01 wrote:Axl has an ongoing ear problem

Just incase it helps at all.

Logan was doing some serious scratching at his left ear and I brought him to the vet. My vet is fantastic and has always done a great job for me. He took a swob from his ear as he said he has found Staffies to have a problem with malassezia which is a sort of yeast infection. He said a lot of dogs get it and some people just treat it like a normal ear infection but this one can reoccur if not treated properly. He examined it under the microscope and said it was def the case, he gave my a medicine to treat it and a few days later...no scratching.

Maybe it's worth mentioning malassezia to your vet. I don't know a lot about it, but what he told me has worked and will hopefully prevent future issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:24

Ahhh thank you! I will probably take him to the vet Saturday to get him checked but it sounds possible it could be that, I'll mention it to him, Cheers Big Grin
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:52

Suki has only gotten two ear infections. Both times we waited until she was asleep and then put the drops in so she wouldn't struggle and it was over before she knew it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Feb 13 2013, 14:27

If Rocky has to have anything like that we wait until he is nearly asleep on our bed at night then put them in.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Feb 13 2013, 16:14

Zeus was the same when we tried putting ear drops in him, one of us would have to distract him and the other would have to squirt it in his ear!

He'd be quick to shake his head and let it all out, so we had to distract him for another couple of minutes after that so he doesnt let it out!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Wed Feb 13 2013, 16:49

I did try distracting him, I might try playing with him with his bone and if I can get him chewing his bone it might give me enough time to squirt some ear drops in! Otherwise I may try the "get him while he's sleeping" approach although that dog seems to have a sixth sense when it comes to medicine lol.

As always, thanks for the suggestions! Big Grin
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down