training ideas

2 posters

Go down

training ideas Empty training ideas

Post by Taryn Mon Jan 28 2013, 21:44

I have been thinking of new ways to build romeo up more and give him the exsercise he needs.
some of my idea was to do non-competitive weigh pulling. like a harness and chain pull or back pack on walks with some water bottles in it.
I'm also striving to learn how to roller blade with Romeo, i hear this is a great way to wear out my Brick/Energy Drink hybrid creature. first i might like to learn HOW to blade with out romeo before i try since i see this ending with me losing my nose or such.
The vet and pyshio have recomended that i try to keep romeo's weight down and his lean muscel strong as it will apparently help with his condition when he is older.
I'd really like to teach romeo to swim.... if i can get him in the water. here in finland its a bit hard to do in the winter months. we do have indoor dog pools, but they cost a pretty penny and i'm saving to get back to australia... where will will be living on the beach and where the weather never drops below 10 degres Big Grin
Romeo still has another month of soft walking before we can start to up his daily exsercis. i need to recondition him for our running again then, good thing the snow should start to melt and the weather warm up... we will be a little muddy though Laughing will have to buy his a rain coat... which makes me laugh... my dog has more clothing then some people.
Taryn
Taryn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

training ideas Empty Re: training ideas

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28 2013, 21:50

So glad to hear that Romeo is progressing well since his op, Taryn.

I'm by no means qualified to give you advice on exercise so will leave that to our knowledgable members.

I just wish you the best of luck, not only in restoring Romeo to his full fitness, but with your ongoing plans as well >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jan 28 2013, 21:51

Weight pulling is a no no after his surgery. Apart from soft walks and swimming you going to have to take things easy. I really would do the swimming, you need to get him to full fitness before you think of moving anyway
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Jan 28 2013, 22:03

next month i find out if romeo can start going a little jogging again to get him back on track.
i have no intentions of putting romeo towards harder training until he gets the all clear. i love my baby Love Struck and i just had to suffer his suffering after the surgery, the last thing i want to do is put him back at step one again.
this is for conversational sake, as to ideas for fun and tiring training methods.
swimming is not an option for us right now. its 50€ per half an hour and its not covered by the insurance Sad that and romeo is HORRIFIED by water, which means i'd need to hire a teacher for him which is an extra 25€ per half hour... swimming is pricy over here i found out recently.
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28 2013, 22:06

I would start by extending the length of the walk first and maybe adding an additional one if you have time. After that a backpack is great as long as it is introduced slowly and the weight is introduced gradually. Start with shorter walks and increase the distance slowly and when you add additional weight shorten the walks again and go from there

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Jan 28 2013, 22:13

yeah, i already have a very strick written excercise plan given to me by the pyshio, i'm talking kinda 6 months down the road when we can have fun with our training again and no have to worry about limitations.
I have a brother that skate boards with his border collie... but last time i tried that i broke my arm pretty damn well Tongues
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28 2013, 22:53

Kenny has nice lean muscle. We just walk him and play ball games. How old is Romeo? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Jan 28 2013, 22:55

he's almost 1 ½ yrs now.... still a young fella. romeo's not a fetching dog... ghe's more a chasing and running away dog Big Grin
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28 2013, 23:00

Taryn wrote:he's almost 1 ½ yrs now.... still a young fella. romeo's not a fetching dog... ghe's more a chasing and running away dog Big Grin
Laughing Could play chase Tongues sounds a bit like Kenny, the motorbike hurder lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Jan 28 2013, 23:09

romoe likes to chase people..... but i can only run so long before i want to die Laughing he likes to be chased too.
roller blading with him sounds like a dream. romoe's sister and mother go skiing together! they pull their owner on the skis and she steers
training ideas 321423_522097284477086_856346745_n_zps47ddf621

we cant ski in australia clearly, but blading.
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down