General concenscous(sp?) on giving my pup Raw sliced beef bones?

+2
Cornish-Muscle
my1stStaffyBull
6 posters

Go down

General concenscous(sp?) on giving my pup Raw sliced beef bones? Empty General concenscous(sp?) on giving my pup Raw sliced beef bones?

Post by my1stStaffyBull Thu Feb 17 2011, 17:29

Marley loves the * out of his smoked knuckle and femur bones but recently I had heard that these raw beef bones from the Publix meat area were great for them. Know, that being said I usually take these types of things with a grain of salt from these "know it all" dog owners, but I got to thinking and picked some up earlier this morning.

Before I give them to him, I wanted to make sure this was ok as a general practice maybe once a week as a treat and let him knaw on it for a couple days (supervised of course).

I have heard some boil them with garlic, fresh cut veggies then freeze them... others say cooking them makes them brittle and I should just freeze them and then give it to him, or maybe not even give them to him at all...

I ask you with a kind heart fellow owners...

Just bc I like to * my pics out of the pup here is one Smile

General concenscous(sp?) on giving my pup Raw sliced beef bones? 5325610509_78ee3e0caf_b

General concenscous(sp?) on giving my pup Raw sliced beef bones? 5325610421_cfd32d6ca6_b

my1stStaffyBull
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

General concenscous(sp?) on giving my pup Raw sliced beef bones? Empty Re: General concenscous(sp?) on giving my pup Raw sliced beef bones?

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17 2011, 17:41

Raw bones are great for dogs, and do NOT need to be cooked but should be frozen for a couple of days to get rid of any bacteria. I think beef might be a little on the rich side though, caryll is the best person to advise on that, I'm sure she'll be along soon with some advice. In pretty sure garlic is bad for dogs, I may be wrong, and someone will correct me if I am. Gorgeous pup Smile

Back to top Go down

General concenscous(sp?) on giving my pup Raw sliced beef bones? Empty Re: General concenscous(sp?) on giving my pup Raw sliced beef bones?

Post by Cornish-Muscle Thu Feb 17 2011, 18:00

Garlic is bad for dogs, it's from the same family as onions.

The bones sound fine though, as Shontelle said, Caryll would be the best to comment on this.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by my1stStaffyBull Thu Feb 17 2011, 18:07

^ thanks for the insight guys, ill be patiently awaiting Caryll's response then on if the BEEF bones are ok to give.

my1stStaffyBull

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17 2011, 18:41

Do you know what part of the cow its from? Beef is ok in general, but certain parts of it, like marrow bone are too rich.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Thu Feb 17 2011, 18:46

P.S Gorgeous Puppy! Love the second one with his teeth showing.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by my1stStaffyBull Thu Feb 17 2011, 19:30

^ hehe im not certain where the bone is from I can comment however that it looks like there is tons of marrow that is easy to get to by a determined pup on both ends... is this what you mean?

my1stStaffyBull

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17 2011, 20:28

That's one beautiful pup! Looks like he's smiling!

I take it he's still a pup? If so, a large beef bone would be too big & too rich for him. If he's still got his puppy teeth, I'd give softer bones such as chicken wings or lamb neck/spine. Always feed them raw. Cooking bones makes them much more likely to splinter.

To start with, always supervise your pup when they're eating bones because when they get towards the end & the bones are small they may try to swallow the rest whole & it could get stuck. If in doubt, remove the last bits of bone & replace with a treat so he doesn't feel he's missing out.

Once he has his adult teeth you can give the occasional large bone such as beef or lamb leg (marrow bones), but if possible make sure that they have been sawn rather than chopped, as chopping can produce tiny fault lines in the bone which in turn can lead to splinters.

If possible freeze the bones for a day or two before defrosting & feeding - this gets rid of most of the bacteria that may be present.

I don't feed marrow bones to my dog for two reasons - one, Dempsey has a sensitive stomach & the marrow upsets it, and two, I feed bones as part of his food, so he gets ribs/necks/spines every day anyway.

And if you've managed to read right through that little novel, then congratulations on not falling asleep half way through! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by my1stStaffyBull Thu Feb 17 2011, 21:34

^ yes he's about 14wks now or so and about 13lbs of fun-loving pup! I did not fall asleep lol, however I do have one question. I'd be too affraid that chicken wing bones are far too small and he would try to eat them anyways, also I though chicken anything was bad because they splinter very easily.

He chews the heck out of those big smoked knucklebones and they are hard, wonder if they are hurting his puppy teeth? He doesnt seem to mind and I dont even see any blood on the bone from teething/chewing.

I take it the bones I bought him this morning are a no go then? they are about 6 inches in length and have a large ~1inch opening in the middle where the "marrow" is. I guess I didnt realize there were so many types of bones.

my1stStaffyBull

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17 2011, 21:54

Chicken wings are fine as long as they're raw & as fresh as possible (frozen is ok as long as it's defrosted thoroughly). It's the cooked ones that breal into sharp needles! Others may disagree with me & say "mine always had marrow bones as a pup & they never hurt them" but I'd personally not give them at least until the adult teeth have come through, and even then they may still be a little rich for tender stomachs.

The problem with puppy teeth is that they have a very shallow 'anchor' in the gum & really hard chewing or gnawing can alter the lie of the tooth. This could mean that it doesn't come out properly when the new teeth start to come through causing problems with both sets of teeth.

With any bones, though, a pup should be strictly supervised. Any sharp pieces breaking off should be removed immediately, and no raw bone should be left for more than 12 hours.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Feb 17 2011, 22:21

Can't say anything about the thread but thats one stunning pup Love Struck
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17 2011, 22:58

janey wrote:Can't say anything about the thread but thats one stunning pup Love Struck

Gorgeous, isn't he?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Feb 17 2011, 23:07

Caryll wrote:
janey wrote:Can't say anything about the thread but thats one stunning pup Love Struck

Gorgeous, isn't he?

I want Love Struck
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18 2011, 08:24

janey wrote:
Caryll wrote:

Gorgeous, isn't he?

I want Love Struck

same

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by raverhayley Fri Feb 18 2011, 12:02

Bruiser loves pigs ears and tripe filled marrow bones...are they ok for him? he has nearly lost all baby teeth now
raverhayley
raverhayley
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruiser
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18 2011, 12:14

As long as he chews the pigs ears & doesn't try to swallow big lumps of them it's ok. The filled bones are ok as a treat, but not too many of them as you'll end up blunting the teeth (now, that's tempting!).

Back to top Go down

Post by raverhayley Fri Feb 18 2011, 12:16

Caryll wrote:As long as he chews the pigs ears & doesn't try to swallow big lumps of them it's ok. The filled bones are ok as a treat, but not too many of them as you'll end up blunting the teeth (now, that's tempting!).
no as hes teething at the moment he loves a good chew! gave him a pigs ear yesterday and my puppy was replaced by an angel for 2 hrs lol!
raverhayley
raverhayley

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruiser
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Tue Feb 22 2011, 18:19

You've got me worried now have I done the right thing with Lola. Firdtly, Lola is 4 months and teething and I've always given her hide chews which she loves then I take the last little bit off her as I know she will swallow the last bit whole, but would the hide chews damage her new teeth allignment?

Secondly, in regards to the chicken wings, would I just buy normal chicken wings frozen or unfrozen and give them to her with the meat on uncooked?
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22 2011, 18:42

Yeah just buy chicken wings frozen or unfrozen. But you will have to freeze them for a few days to kill any paracites. Then put them in the fridge the night before giving them to Lola

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 24 2011, 18:27

lackeman wrote:You've got me worried now have I done the right thing with Lola. Firdtly, Lola is 4 months and teething and I've always given her hide chews which she loves then I take the last little bit off her as I know she will swallow the last bit whole, but would the hide chews damage her new teeth allignment?

Secondly, in regards to the chicken wings, would I just buy normal chicken wings frozen or unfrozen and give them to her with the meat on uncooked?

Hide chews are ok to give to a teething pup as they have 'give' in them so the teeth don't get damaged. Just watch to make sure they don't swallow large pieces.

Chicken wings can be bought frozen (you van get some really cheap ones from the supermarkets) and thawed before feeding. Then just either put one on top of their food, or seperately - it doesn't matter.

Back to top Go down

Post by bonnieboy Fri Feb 25 2011, 06:04

I know its not generally recommended but I feed Bonnie a mix of dry and raw food. I gave her chicken wings when she was alot smaller but she didnt seem keen, chicken necks on the other hand dont last a minute! She pretty much swallows them whole after crunching them up a bit, thing is tho the bones are a bit smaller and they are quite flexible less chance of getting stuck. Might be worth a look Smile
bonnieboy
bonnieboy
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Bonnie
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 25 2011, 09:56

Although it isn't usually recommended to mix dry & raw, it can work with some dogs. You have to balance the fact that dry takes longer to digest than raw, so if you're feeding 2 meals, then it's best to give the raw in the morning & the dry at night.

Dempsey's main meal is around 5pm & he's ready for a poop at about 9.30pm! If he was on dry food, he would probably be able to wait till his morning walk for a poop!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down