Mark
Elena
derekamanda
15 posters

Go down

Uk pitbull ban Empty Uk pitbull ban

Post by derekamanda Sat Jan 12 2013, 22:44

Just thought I would start a debate on the pitbull ban in the uk

Whilst i agree with it to a certain extent My parents kep pitbulls when I was younger and I have many happy memorys of this breed.

Whats everyone elses opinion

derekamanda
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Uk pitbull ban Empty Re: Uk pitbull ban

Post by Guest Sat Jan 12 2013, 22:47

i would love a pitty and would IF they ever lift the ban

I don't think they will and although i love the 'breed' idiots would jump on them and they would ruin it for the rest of us

Last edited by ella on Sun Jan 13 2013, 16:27; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 12 2013, 22:52

great breed in the right hands but the worst in the wrong. so in england permanent ban

Back to top Go down

Post by Elena Sun Jan 13 2013, 06:27

I love pit bulls and I would be happy to have one. If they were to be allowed back in the uk I would be very happy. Unfortunately the worst kind of people would get hold of them and use them for the wrong reasons. Such a pitty as they are wonderful dogs in the right hands, just like staffies
Elena
Elena
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Harley & Muffin
Dog(s) Ages : 5 & 4.7
Dog Gender(s) : Male & female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Sun Jan 13 2013, 07:40

would like one but not 100% sure Smile
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13 2013, 07:52

I probably wouldn't like one, personally they are a little large for me. I like small staffies and bull terriers but the larger ones are a bit too big for me. Same as i wouldn't get an american bull or a boxer/mastiff type. I'm a medium gal.

As for the ban, i think it will be overturned eventually, but that it will cause havoc with the amount of people getting one thinking its great they can have a "once banned breed" but they will have no clue what to do with it and you will have pitts in the shelters instead of staffies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Sun Jan 13 2013, 07:56

thats why i hope the ban stays pit bulls will become the new drug dealers dog
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Sun Jan 13 2013, 10:03

I'd have a APBT in a heartbeat if they were allowed! But on the other hand, I hope they don't lift the ban as it will allow the idiots to own them and in the wrong hands could/would be worse than the way the media portray staffords!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Jan 13 2013, 10:22

As some might know on here, they are my favourate breed of dog and always have been day dreaming

Lifting the ban - will never happen in the UK, and I hope to god it never is !! .. this country has far too much of the chav/hoodie/idiot/pikey culture to keep a breed like the APBT safe, and out of harms way at wits end we have only just held onto our breed from the DDA at times by the skin of our teeth I dont want to s

If there was a way however of somehow applying for ownership very officially (like a passport or driving licience) for each pup, and they could be spayed/neutered before ownership (not really possible!) .. then I would already have one Big Grin day dreaming ... but in reality, its never going to happen IMO .. and for the reason above .. I'm glad Sad
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Sun Jan 13 2013, 11:54

Andy wrote:As some might know on here, they are my favourate breed of dog and always have been day dreaming

Lifting the ban - will never happen in the UK, and I hope to god it never is !! .. this country has far too much of the chav/hoodie/idiot/pikey culture to keep a breed like the APBT safe, and out of harms way at wits end we have only just held onto our breed from the DDA at times by the skin of our teeth I dont want to s

If there was a way however of somehow applying for ownership very officially (like a passport or driving licience) for each pup, and they could be spayed/neutered before ownership (not really possible!) .. then I would already have one Big Grin day dreaming ... but in reality, its never going to happen IMO .. and for the reason above .. I'm glad Sad

That would be a brilliant idea. Would be too much work though to make it manageable IMO!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Jan 13 2013, 12:17

I know mate .. could never work Sad .. so the ban needs to stay in place unfortunately Sad broken heart
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by harlou Sun Jan 13 2013, 12:56

My auntie had one 20 odd years ago registered etc lovely dog with people but hated other dogs ,so no i think the ban should stay as in the wrong hands who knows?
harlou
harlou
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Uk pitbull ban Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : OLLY
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13 2013, 14:06

As much as I hate to say it, the ban has to stay. The idea of the kind of low life that would get hold of them fills me with horror.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13 2013, 15:08

Caryll wrote:As much as I hate to say it, the ban has to stay. The idea of the kind of low life that would get hold of them fills me with horror.

You're right, that's one reason why the ban should stay in place; not because there's anything wrong with the breed, but because they're sought after by many people for the wrong reasons. But that's also like saying we should ban any breed of dog used for the wrong purposes. Staffs are often the chosen breed for people trying to look hard or cool, but that's not to say they should end up banned. So I'm half-and-half on it, I'm glad it stops the wrong people, but it just means it'd give way to other breeds/types of dogs.

But I do love them and I'd love to have one if they weren't banned, since I tend to prefer that look to the typical Staff (but I love them all Big Grin).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13 2013, 15:44

Tara wrote: But that's also like saying we should ban any breed of dog used for the wrong purposes. Staffs are often the chosen breed for people trying to look hard or cool, but that's not to say they should end up banned. So I'm half-and-half on it, I'm glad it stops the wrong people, but it just means it'd give way to other breeds/types of dogs.

I can see your point, but most of the other breeds are here already & legal. There's nothing anybody can do if, say, a few nasties decide that they want some hard pekineses! But we can stop them getting too firm a hold on the APBT by not rescinding the ban!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13 2013, 16:17

I love the Pit Bull, a red nosed boy is my dream. A dog is influenced by whoever is on the other end of the lead. Pit Bulls have been vilified as a 'devil dog ' which is a load of media generated trash! banghead

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Sun Jan 13 2013, 16:20

It was a shame when the ban came into being so many innocent dogs got pts just because of what they were I know this because I worked in a kennels that housed some of the seized dogs
Out of 14 dogs only 1 I would have said was dangerous but only a few were allowed to return home
That said I feel that the ban for the sake of the dogs should stay in place
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by derekamanda Sun Jan 13 2013, 22:29

Was anyone allowed to keep them? i think i remember seing a massive red pit muzzled and on a lead in the park

derekamanda

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13 2013, 23:05

derekamanda wrote:Was anyone allowed to keep them? i think i remember seing a massive red pit muzzled and on a lead in the park

There were exemptions yes, but for the most part no they weren't. It was only the really caring owners with genuinely well behaved dogs who got to keep them, under strict strict laws.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14 2013, 08:19

Can you imagine some of the people who would start breeding them?? They would be badly bred and badly treated (not by everyone).

My cousins ex boyfriend had an exempt dog, I don't know the whole in's and out's but he had to be muzzled in public, always on lead, I also think he was maybe tattooed and special insurance had to be taken out. It was a lovely looking dog, but since he was neutered very early he hadn't formed fully. I'm sure it wasn't the finest bloodline either.

I love APBT's but I can't help but feel they are safer out of this country. Not too long ago I had a guy talk to me at a bar about how his dog could "kick my dog's ***". He was very proud of this. I wouldn't want to see idiots like that in the hands of such a powerful breed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon Jan 14 2013, 15:32

MatLogan wrote:Not too long ago I had a guy talk to me at a bar about how his dog could "kick my dog's ***".

My point exactly !! ... c0cks like this can never be allowed to own such a dog doh angry sigh
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda Tue Jan 15 2013, 12:53

In the late 80's any Pit Bull Terrier had to be neutered and muzzled when in public. The intention being that the breed would then die out in this country Am still very confused regarding the conformation of a Pit Bull, some have been short and stocky others long legged and somewhat lanky, and some like long legged staffies.
Andy can you help?
I promise not to moan about cropped ears and ripped dogs Straight Face
Panda
Panda

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Solomon
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Support total : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Jan 15 2013, 13:01

pitbulls dont have a standards so breeder breed when they think they should be that why they come in all shape and forms.

IMO a pitbull should be a similar to american staffordshire terrier but more leaner

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mani Tue Jan 15 2013, 13:49

There is such a thing as a pit bull standard, that of the American Pit Bull Terrier of course, recognised by some kennel clubs across the world. The American Staffordshire Terrier descends from the same dogs, but fortunately doesn't carry the Pit Bull name and some of its negative connotations. It is, for all intents and purposes, a pit bull.
The variety in 'pit bulls' can be explained by what is essentially a black market trade of forbidden goods which doesn't allow regulation and checking. A breeder wants to sell his puppies which look like pit bulls (but who might be a staffy/mastiff cross?). He can't advertise them as such, so he'll sell by word of mouth to punters as 'pit bulls'. Since there's no way to check and most people can't spot breeds 100% accurately (especially crosses), there are loads of 'pit bulls' around which might or might not be 'real' APBTs after all.
Sorry for muddying the issue!
As far as the ban goes, I'm against BSL in general, but I'm for dog welfare so whatever gets less dogs to suffer the better.
Mani
Mani
Uk pitbull ban Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mani
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male - neutered
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Jan 15 2013, 14:08

i dont think any kennel club as allow pitbulls on their official breeds list only American staffordshire terrier, pitbull is like American bully different breeders like there dogs to look a different way.

there other club that not really official and you could register a jack russell terrier as a pitbull they just money making shames they nothing like kennel club.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mani Tue Jan 15 2013, 14:27

The United Kennel Club has the Pit Bull in its list of breeds - http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Breeds/Terrier/AmericanPitBullTerrier12012012
... and it's one of the oldest and perhaps biggest kennel clubs in the world.
Most other kennel clubs call it the American Staffordshire Terrier even though those come from the same ancestors as the APBT. This is all semantics anway:
Whether your dog is a banned type depends on what it looks like, rather than its breed or name.
Example
If your dog matches many of the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier, it may be a banned type.

Mani
Mani
Uk pitbull ban Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Jan 15 2013, 14:33

this is the americna kennal club

http://www.akc.org/

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Jan 15 2013, 15:51

Panda wrote:In the late 80's any Pit Bull Terrier had to be neutered and muzzled when in public. The intention being that the breed would then die out in this country Am still very confused regarding the conformation of a Pit Bull, some have been short and stocky others long legged and somewhat lanky, and some like long legged staffies.
Andy can you help?
I promise not to moan about cropped ears and ripped dogs Straight Face

Laughing .. in answer to your question, not really thinking ... firstly, I personally dont recognise "pit bull" as a specific breed of dog, just a mutt that has bully breeds as parents i dont know .. it is a truely massive subject, and baffles most people who look into it to be honest .. me included Laughing .. there cant be many breeds of dog that have such a contraversial background as the APBT!!

There are lots of differant oppinions on what an APBT should look like, from the purist's that only recognise old style game bred working stock (some of which look nothing like you might expect! because they are only interested in the dogs ability to show gameness, not how it looks) .. to those who see the AST as the modern day "show ring" APBT .. and many many oppinions inbetween hypnotised

I guess if I had to fall into a catagory on oppinion, it would be the "inbetween" one .. I know what I look for in a good example of an APBT, but that may differ to others, the same way I prefer slightly leggy, and slightly larger staffys to the standard you see in the show ring .. but thats just my preferance, and of course the staffys history is better documented and easier to establish than the APBT over here.

Hope that helps rolling on the floor

Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda Tue Jan 15 2013, 20:53

Thanks Andy, your reply went part of the way. I didn't realise it was all so complicated. Blushing
Panda
Panda

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Solomon
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Support total : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Tue Jan 22 2013, 22:08

Totally against the ban. I'd be ok with a license to own certain breeds (maybe).

I'm not advocating for guns, but it's like saying 9mm pistols are ok, but a Shotguns and rifles should be banned. Any can cause damage in the wrong hands.
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacon
Dog(s) Ages : Born 3/24/12
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Jan 22 2013, 22:32

hand guns are not ok.. we only allow to own shotguns in the uk

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Jan 23 2013, 09:22

Nor Cal wrote:Totally against the ban. I'd be ok with a license to own certain breeds (maybe).

I'm not advocating for guns, but it's like saying 9mm pistols are ok, but a Shotguns and rifles should be banned. Any can cause damage in the wrong hands.

Exactly why the ban should stay ... the majority WOULD end up in the wrong hands Sad
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Wed Jan 23 2013, 16:14

Exactly why the ban should stay ... the majority WOULD end up in the wrong hands

This is where I disagree. If you ban the Pit Bull, then the "Wrong Hands" would get another breed of dog and we would be talking about banning another breed...

Can't fix all problems by simply banning it from existing IMO. A ban is just an attempted quick fix that won't be effective.
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Jan 23 2013, 19:12

Nor Cal wrote:
Exactly why the ban should stay ... the majority WOULD end up in the wrong hands

This is where I disagree. If you ban the Pit Bull, then the "Wrong Hands" would get another breed of dog and we would be talking about banning another breed...

Can't fix all problems by simply banning it from existing IMO. A ban is just an attempted quick fix that won't be effective.

Missed the point T ... they are already banned over here, so to lift the ban would be a death sentance for every poor APBT, that ended up in the hands of the type of scum that would fall over themselves to get one doh

Obviously I agree with you in that to ban them in a country they are currently aloud, would be terrible .. the same as imposing a new ban on staffys over here Crying or Very sad
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Thu Jan 24 2013, 16:56

Oh, I see. My mistake.

They are not banned here where I live in California. I love pitbulls and don't really see much difference between an APBT and my staffy other than size.

Scumbags have ruined the breeds reputation here and around the world.
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24 2013, 16:58

Nor Cal wrote:
Scumbags have ruined the breeds reputation here and around the world.

You couldn't have said a truer word. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Mon Jan 28 2013, 19:53

I wish pitbulls were allowed in the UK, my dad lives in Portugal and he's got a female pitbull, when I was little I was terrified of her because she was always trying to play and since I was very little I'd try to run away from her Laughing.

I think they should let pitbulls come to England but to own a pitbull you'd have to have some sort of license, and they should check on your pitull every so often to make sure the pitbull is friendly and has no scars from fighting etc.

That's just my opinion, but I'd love to own a pitbull.
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Dragon
Dog(s) Ages : DOB - 25-12-2010
Support total : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by Mani Tue Jan 29 2013, 09:57

I was looking for springpole pictures and came across a forum for 'game dogs'. I won't post the url here because it's disgusting. Every post is about how their pitbulls are 'danger zone' dogs, how they bark and snarl at every dog they meet, how they have a lot of 'fighting drive', how much money they can make off the dog, how 'ripped' the dog looks, how dangerous it is, etc. Scum.
Mani
Mani
Uk pitbull ban Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Tue Jan 29 2013, 14:06

Mani wrote:I was looking for springpole pictures and came across a forum for 'game dogs'. I won't post the url here because it's disgusting. Every post is about how their pitbulls are 'danger zone' dogs, how they bark and snarl at every dog they meet, how they have a lot of 'fighting drive', how much money they can make off the dog, how 'ripped' the dog looks, how dangerous it is, etc. Scum.

Its horrible to say the least, seen many a websites who hate the breed but theres another website something to do with spain and uk and all its does is say staffies are killing machines!!! On youtube alot of the 'bait dogs' are pitbulls and some of the stories are gruesome but the rescue stories have fab endings. I did not know much about the breed but i have educated myself and personaly i think they are a fab breed and would never say no BUT i think it would be wrong to bring them back as i think we have enough problems with staffs and bully breeds brought up in the wrong hands already in the Uk
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Tue Jan 29 2013, 14:09

DragonTheStaffie wrote:I think they should let pitbulls come to England but to own a pitbull you'd have to have some sort of license, and they should check on your pitull every so often to make sure the pitbull is friendly and has no scars from fighting etc.

That's just my opinion, but I'd love to own a pitbull.

totally agree would be lovely to bring the breed back after reading up on them i think there a fab breed BUT could u imagine what it would be like? me personally i think we need to fight the fight we are already in with the staffs and bullys we have left Big Grin

We can dream tho Smile
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Wed Jan 30 2013, 15:12

Love um and no dog should be banned or all dogs banned IMO.

Going on the same theory of you don't want drug dealers or people who fight with dogs to get there hands on them your basically agreeing that Staffordshire bull terriers should be banned too.

Then when them same sorts choose, a bull mastiff of some sort or American bull dog, well they will need banning too.

Keeping them banned due to the fear of idiots wanting them is not fair, what need to be done is to catch the idiots and make them pay for their stupidity instead of punishing good dog owners.

Currently a lot of the people your talking about have illegal dogs now anyway, do you think they really care they are illegal or not?

Unfortunately this is why our breed is paying the price it is, you have a Staffordshire bull terrier that's an inch higher than BSL laws say then in there eyes you have a pitbull type and they can take it off you weather you and your dog have done anything wrong or not.

The ban on breeds in this country has to go, obviously all just my opinion but it's totally unfair on good dog owners and the breed, in fact many breeds as others are paying the price currently such as Staffordshire bull terriers, SBT Xs, American Bull dogs, American bull dog Xs.
johneva
johneva

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 14:55

Pitbulls are personally my favorite breed, I think they're such misunderstood animals. About 2 years ago I was involved with a pitbull that had been seized from his owner purely because of how she looks (she was a red nose Love Struck) and the owner went to court for her, she was called Sheeba. Eventually after about 6 months the Sheeba's owner had finally won the court and he came to collect his dog. It was such a beautiful moment, she was such a gorgeous well trained dog too; literally the most well behaved gentle thing I've ever been lucky enough to come into contact with. Pittys are also my moms favorite breed too! When go to America we do this thing where you get involved with rescue pittys and help train them for a day ect. It's so great to see them in a different light over there, but as much as I love them - I look at our beloved breed and see people trying to ban them ect, and how they've been treated and misunderstood over the years I think it's probably best that they are kept banned; at least until they can 100% make sure they go into the right hands. I personally think that they should make it stricter to have any dog to stop any types of neglect and lack of training leading to incidents you see in the papers. Pittys are very close to my heart though, and I'd absolutely love one. No dog should be banned IMO, but I guess it's saving the breed to some extent as other peoples said; great breed but can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaz Wed Jun 26 2013, 18:20

derekamanda wrote:Just thought I would start a debate on the pitbull ban in the uk

Whilst i agree with it to a certain extent My parents kep pitbulls when I was younger and I have many happy memorys of this breed.

Whats everyone elses opinion

if you agree with the pitbull ban in the uk,,,there would be no difference to banning them worldwide

america has its problems with pitbull type dogs

i agree with the comments about having a license,passport etc,,i would say that for all dogs,maybe training for dogs bred for anything other than being a lapdog
Gaz
Gaz

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26 2013, 18:29

Why not lapdogs? They are usually the most aggressive and out of control dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26 2013, 20:20

Gaz wrote:if you agree with the pitbull ban in the uk,,,there would be no difference to banning them worldwide

Ludicrous statement! Of course there's a difference. If the pitbull were legalised in the UK it would become the choice of the criminal elements & brainless morons the way the stafford has!

Gaz wrote:
i agree with the comments about having a license,passport etc,,i would say that for all dogs,maybe training for dogs bred for anything other than being a lapdog

Licenses have never worked in the UK, and wouldn't if they reintroduced them. Passports for dogs already exist and wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

Training for the would be owners of dogs is a good idea, but how do you police it? It would cost a fortune to set up. And what about the people who couldn't afford training classes? The elderly, the unemployed - are they to be told that they will never be allowed to have the companionship of a dog?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down