What age to neuter???

2 posters

Go down

What age to neuter??? Empty What age to neuter???

Post by LynneAJ Thu Jan 10 2013, 22:29

Poppy is just over 4 months now. I know for certain I do not want her having pups at any time in her life....for many reasons but the main one being the amount of staffy/staffy x dogs in rehoming centres at present. Sad

I'm looking for advice on the right time to neuter her....i appreciate this topic will have been discussed before tho and that there will be various opinions so i'm just trying to see the pros and cons. I have phoned several vets around my area and they all differ in what age she can get done from....one will do it from 5/5.5 months onwards, one from 6 months onwards, and another from 6 months onwards as long as she has been through her first season.

Its more the "letting her go through a season....or not" question i am more struggling with if i'm honest. I know it sounds selfish but is it really worth letting her go through one when i don't want her having pups anyway....

Thanks in advance x

LynneAJ
LynneAJ
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog(s) Ages : 10/9/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

What age to neuter??? Empty Re: What age to neuter???

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 22:32

From a medical point of view, it is easier to do it before a season. But from a mental and physical point of view for your dog it is better to leave it until at least 2 years of age.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jan 10 2013, 22:35

Had my first neutered before her first season, Moo after. Both are fine. Its up to you Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 22:36

Would never spay a bitch before 2 years old, but i would only spay then id she medically needed it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 22:39

ella wrote:Would never spay a bitch before 2 years old, but i would only spay then id she medically needed it.

Yes, some people choose not to spay at all if it is not needed. The only thing that is different is that a bitch with make a bit of a mess and be a little moody. If there is no danger of a dog getting at her, then why put her through an invasive surgery?

Personally i got my girl done after she was stolen, to put off any other potential thieves. I also knew i didn't want pups out of her because she is dog aggressive. But that is my own personal situation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 22:45

Hayley wrote:
ella wrote:Would never spay a bitch before 2 years old, but i would only spay then id she medically needed it.

Yes, some people choose not to spay at all if it is not needed. The only thing that is different is that a bitch with make a bit of a mess and be a little moody. If there is no danger of a dog getting at her, then why put her through an invasive surgery?

Personally i got my girl done after she was stolen, to put off any other potential thieves. I also knew i didn't want pups out of her because she is dog aggressive. But that is my own personal situation.

I'm not against neutering it's just not something i would routinely do, and never at a young age Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 22:49

I agree Ella, Lexi would never have been done if not for the reasons stated. My old labxcollie (had an accidental litter from an arnie swazttnernengert spaniel who got through a garage door!!! Surprised ) was never spayed nor was my old Lab bitch (who we actually bred lol). My two rescues were but thats normal.

Back to top Go down

Post by LynneAJ Thu Jan 10 2013, 22:51

I appreciate the differing opinions.

She will definitely be getting spayed tho, tbh i have 4 kids under 12 here at the weekends who are in and out the front door to go out playing all the time so if she was to be in season there would always be the slight possibility of her escaping outside.....she loves being outside as it is the now so i can just imagine what she'd be like if she was looking for a boyfriend Laughing

LynneAJ
LynneAJ

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog(s) Ages : 10/9/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 22:59

LynneAJ wrote:I appreciate the differing opinions.

She will definitely be getting spayed tho, tbh i have 4 kids under 12 here at the weekends who are in and out the front door to go out playing all the time so if she was to be in season there would always be the slight possibility of her escaping outside.....she loves being outside as it is the now so i can just imagine what she'd be like if she was looking for a boyfriend Laughing

Bitches don't generally go in search. But all dogs will go wandering, and if shes able to get out a dog is able to get in. I'm the kind of person who leaves something alone until it becomes a problem but as Jane said, both her dogs were fine and most are, you just might find her a little more immature than and entire bitch would be. Another con (and quite a serious one) is some bitches have been known to loose their bladder control from a shoddy or too invasive surgery.

I'm not trying to scare you, just give you facts. Obv there is also the risk of infections or split wounds etc

The recovery can take anything from a week to a month or so in which she will have to have peace and quiet, little to no movement and she may go on and off food. Another thing is spayed dogs usually get more tubby (more energy is used being in heat) so you will need to watch her diet.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jan 10 2013, 23:04

Ooo a bitch will wander if she wants a bit Laughing

Gardens must be secure anyway as they all should, so no accidents can happen, be it naughtiness involved or just general precautions.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 23:08

janey wrote:

Ooo a bitch will wander if she wants a bit Laughing

Gardens must be secure anyway as they all should, so no accidents can happen, be it naughtiness involved or just general precautions.

Surprised dirty mares

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down