To chop or not to chop this is the question

+3
Mark
Griffin5
beddy
7 posters

Go down

To chop or not to chop this is the question Empty To chop or not to chop this is the question

Post by beddy Thu Jan 03 2013, 11:32

Hi,
I have two boys from the same litter 7 months old.They get on very well and play with toys with no problems.
They have started to mount each other and fight over bones and thews to the point that I don't give them any.
I understand it is a dominant thing but is it time or not????.

I have read many different reports on this and I'm still not sure with way to go.

beddy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Ollie & Barnie
Dog(s) Ages : 7 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

To chop or not to chop this is the question Empty Re: To chop or not to chop this is the question

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 11:37

You will get different replies to this & most of them will be valid, including "don't get two siblings!"! Big Grin

Very difficult decision. Castration won't stop the mounting, neither will it stop them from becoming possessive over bones/toys etc - only training can do that. Early castration will also delay the closure of the growth plates which will lead to a leggier, narrower dog and possibly a fear aggressive dog (as the hormones that kick in towards maturity help to make a dog more confident & therefore less aggressive).

Back to top Go down

To chop or not to chop this is the question Empty Re: To chop or not to chop this is the question

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 11:41

2 brothers. thats tough.. always going to be problems there

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin5 Thu Jan 03 2013, 11:53

Caryll, what is the best age for castration then? We joined a puppy plan at our vet that gives us 20% off.
Griffin5
Griffin5
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
To chop or not to chop this is the question Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 1yr 2mnths
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Thu Jan 03 2013, 11:56

Our 2 do the same we have male and female and the girl mounts the boy Smile
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 11:57

Griffin5 wrote:Caryll, what is the best age for castration then? We joined a puppy plan at our vet that gives us 20% off.

It's just a personal opinion, you understand, but with a stafford I would wait until at least 18 months - longer if you can.

Vets push for early castration & use every trick in the book to twist your arm, including money off if it's done at 5 months. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 11:58

2 years to 3years in my opinion gives a chance for your boy to mature and grow to potential Big Grin
but this is one of the subjects which will have many opinions all valid.
although i stated this time frame i have no intention to castrate as i feel not needed in my situation Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Thu Jan 03 2013, 12:14

I don't want to sound nasty - but I can't believe a reputable breeder sold you two males from the same litter!

rescuestaffords

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 12:15

rescuestaffords wrote:I don't want to sound nasty - but I can't believe a reputable breeder sold you two males from the same litter!

Daft, wasn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Thu Jan 03 2013, 12:19

Caryll wrote:
rescuestaffords wrote:I don't want to sound nasty - but I can't believe a reputable breeder sold you two males from the same litter!

Daft, wasn't it?

Very - but sadly there are those 'breeders' out there to make money with no regard to the pups.

rescuestaffords

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 12:21

*sigh*
Yes, there are. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 12:27

Just a question, why is it that siblings are more likely to fight/have problems?

As for the neutering, I don't think it'd help, you'll just have to train them out of it. Step in if things get too bad, and if they start mounting, tell them no and distract them with something else, or separate them for a little while so they can calm down a bit. Based on the advice I saw here, I've decided to wait until Loki is two years old to get him neutered, but then if he gets to that age, I feel like there's no point at all unless I were to get a female or something. Personal decision Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 12:39

Tara wrote:Just a question, why is it that siblings are more likely to fight/have problems?

It's the closeness of litter mates that causes problems, whether it's two males, two females or one of each. There's often problems. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 12:58

when i first realized i wanted 2 males, 2 decent breeders put the phone down on me when i said i wanted 2 males.. 1 rang me back explained why.. I was naive thinking it would be fine

Back to top Go down

Post by beddy Thu Jan 03 2013, 13:36

I feel so much better after asking that question........NOT.

Well I have them now and will just have to try very hard to keep it under control.
I would hate it if I had to give one up broken heart Crying or Very sad

beddy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Ollie & Barnie
Dog(s) Ages : 7 Months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 15:41

Sorry! Big Grin

It can work - but you will need to be firm & consistent. >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 15:55

agree with what others have said, neutering won't stop the mounting and possessiveness, only consistent training will do that.

So i vote not to chop Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Thu Jan 03 2013, 19:28

Caryll wrote:You will get different replies to this & most of them will be valid, including "don't get two siblings!"! Big Grin

Very difficult decision. Castration won't stop the mounting, neither will it stop them from becoming possessive over bones/toys etc - only training can do that. Early castration will also delay the closure of the growth plates which will lead to a leggier, narrower dog and possibly a fear aggressive dog (as the hormones that kick in towards maturity help to make a dog more confident & therefore less aggressive).

Thank you Caryll!! Fantastic information! The only info I could find was health risks (of which both sides have their problems) I had no idea it effected their filling out build wise or that the hormonal side of things effects confidence so thank you Big Grin desexing of all domestic pets is recommended from 6m here so I will be under pressure by the vets when I see them for his shots but I will confidently, politely decline.
Oswald
Oswald

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Oswald
Dog(s) Ages : 31/10/12
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 19:32

It's very much the same in the UK. Most vets will push for early neutering.

I just wish they would be more open & tell people about the cons as well as the pros.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 19:40

I don't understand why they push for it early though. Is it to stop breeding or do they get a grant from the government or something? I just don't see why having it done early has any benefit to the vets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Thu Jan 03 2013, 20:00

They even offer a substantial discount on his registration if he is desexed by 6 months (when registration is due) $40 compared to $150 for not desexed! So even if you plan to desex later you still have to pay that $110 extra banghead
Oswald
Oswald

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Oswald
Dog(s) Ages : 31/10/12
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 20:19

Hayley wrote:I don't understand why they push for it early though. Is it to stop breeding or do they get a grant from the government or something? I just don't see why having it done early has any benefit to the vets.

The only answers I've ever had from vets is (a) that it saves unwanted litters & addresses certain health issues & (b) that it's a much easier operation than when they're older. My own vet asked when I was going to get Dempsey castrated the first time I took him there. He listened to my reasons for not getting it done & then said "Fair enough, you sound like you know what you're doing. If you get any problems let us know". Another reason I quite like my vet! Big Grin

Oswald wrote:They even offer a substantial discount on his registration if he is desexed by 6 months (when registration is due) $40 compared to $150 for not desexed! So even if you plan to desex later you still have to pay that $110 extra banghead

That's tantamount to blackmail!

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Thu Jan 03 2013, 20:37

I am sick to death of my vet every time he see's Duke he bangs on about castration so thank you Caryll for your great post i intend to throw the growth plates info at him next time we visit .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by marley'smummy Fri Jan 04 2013, 21:00

I to will be declining Marley having his bits removed, i have no intention of breeding from him and i have no intention (at the moment!) of having another dog in the house so feel that i can just let him be, why should i have to have him neut i know il have the unwanted pups story sprung on me next time we see our vet but i dont just let my dog run all round the streets and he is always on a lead, my hubby did bring the subject up the other day i swiftly told him the day he goes and gets his balls removed il get the dogs done to insert evil laugh he
marley'smummy
marley'smummy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : DOB-19/08/2012
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04 2013, 21:14

Beddy, I wish you luck in raising two litter mates; each will want to be "Top Dog". Castration won't help, the urge to be top dog will still be there.

I can understand that you don't want to part with either of them. IF they sort out between them who is superior and who is "inferior" and they both accept it, then life will be easier.

Wishing you good luck - do let us know how you get on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04 2013, 21:52

Caryll wrote:
Hayley wrote:I don't understand why they push for it early though. Is it to stop breeding or do they get a grant from the government or something? I just don't see why having it done early has any benefit to the vets.

The only answers I've ever had from vets is (a) that it saves unwanted litters & addresses certain health issues & (b) that it's a much easier operation than when they're older. My own vet asked when I was going to get Dempsey castrated the first time I took him there. He listened to my reasons for not getting it done & then said "Fair enough, you sound like you know what you're doing. If you get any problems let us know". Another reason I quite like my vet! Big Grin

[/quote]

hmm! mine have never asked (or should i say, never asked) about it. They are the kind of vets that dont do anything unless you want them to, they don't lecture you and if they knid of think you know what your on about they just say "yeah, you pretty much know what the score is all i can tell you from a medical point of view is..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down