Can anyone explain

3 posters

Go down

Can anyone explain  Empty Can anyone explain

Post by mickgill Sun Dec 30 2012, 19:34

Took Duke for his walk today when i got him out of the car we walked about 30 yards and came across a couple they had 2 pug puppys with them , they allowed them to sniff Duke and the first one approached Duke shocked me by growling at it, he has never done that before i pulled him back and scolded him, the second one approached and he was fine he licked it's face and did not show any Aggression at all , halfway round the walk we bumped into someone with a Westy Pup about Duke's age he was great and they played chase for 5 mins , i just wonder what made him growl at the pug pup ?.
mickgill
mickgill
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Can anyone explain  Empty Re: Can anyone explain

Post by Guest Sun Dec 30 2012, 19:37

It could be that the pug did something he didn't like or feel comfortable with. There are dogs they simple will not like for whatever reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Sun Dec 30 2012, 19:40

Strange thing is though jstaff these pups were like twins almost identical why just growl at one or did the scolding have an effect .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 30 2012, 21:49

Try as we might, we can't always interpret all the dog language that passes between dogs. My guess is that the the first pug puppy "said" something to Duke that he didn't like. Who knows - I'll bet it was embarrassing and worrying for you though. It would be interesting to see what happens when and if Duke and the pug puppies meet again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Dec 30 2012, 22:12

What might sound nasty to us not realy the case with dogs. more likley the situation went "oh no bouncy puppies i cant be botherd" we hear growl, your dog is just saying "please no i cant be botherd" then he licks face wich is a welcome gesture to one that approaches more likley saying thanks for listening to me or else the growl would have got worse. As humans we have to understand dogs dont have our vocab. Tbh he sounds like a perfect gent in the dog world.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31 2012, 08:16

I can't tell you the number of dogs Loki has annoyed, even the friendly ones. Literally every dog he's ever met except for about five, and it's all because he was too friendly, too excitable. Mostly dogs will give puppies lenience, but sometimes they can't be bothered. Perhaps Duke was being a bit grumpy Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Mon Dec 31 2012, 10:00

Could it be that one of them was make one female
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31 2012, 12:26

Wendy and Mark wrote:Could it be that one of them was make one female

I wondered the same , my 2 (mainly Tommy) have been a bit tetchy lately , I always have them clipped on when they meet others and I just hope they don't growl at the little dogs as generally the owners of the little dogs are the first to make a judgement (sorry if that sounds doggist Sad ) but generally no explanation other than you can't like em all. I know 9 times out of ten it's the lead that's the problem and promoting insecurities but at the same time you can't take the chance top let them off lead without confidence and I wouldn't trust Tommy not to go looney and grab the other owner by the jumper or something (generally not well received)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down