6 year old staffy who has mites

+2
Steve
martin2011
6 posters

Go down

6 year old staffy who has mites Empty 6 year old staffy who has mites

Post by martin2011 Wed Feb 09 2011, 18:42

A friend of mine has two six year old staffordshire bull terriers (male and female) and since Christmas the male has developed mites (diagnosed by the vet). He has taken his terrier to the vets on three occasions for a bath in some solution which is costing £50 a time and although it does work, as soon as he stops taking him the dog starts to get a few areas which irritate him. My friend doesn't have the internet so I said I'd see if I could find some help for him as I've always found dog forum's to be such helpful places (I have 6 dogs).

I've scoured the net for solutions to mites but nothing seems to be easily found so it looks the vets have it sewn up (as per usual) where they charge extortionate prices and us dog lovers have to pay.

Thank you Big Grin

martin2011
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

6 year old staffy who has mites Empty Re: 6 year old staffy who has mites

Post by Steve Wed Feb 09 2011, 18:49

i think frontline kills mites, when he get rid i would give the dog a cod liver oil capsule everyday

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Feb 09 2011, 19:10

My first had what was thought was mites, we, like your friend kept treating it,(at the vets £££££) but it kept recurring, I ended up having a skin graph done (after numerous skin scraps) and it was demidex (excuse spelling).Well we kept treating her and her huge baldy patches and one day, and I do mean just like that it cleared up! As if she had grown out of it! She was a pup though so a very large different in ages.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Feb 10 2011, 10:26

Demodex are mites, they cannot be seen by the human eye and all dogs have a few. Its just when the population fluctuates that it becomes a problem and you start to see hair loss etc. One of mine had it badly but we didnt take her into the vets for baths they gave us this disgusting toxic preperation to soak her in (think its called alodux (sp?)) it cleared up after a while.

Frontline and advocate will keep the problem at bay after it is sorted but probably wont be strong enough to reducew the number of demodex mites on the dog. I would get your friend to ask the vet for a bottle of this to take home and bath dog at home.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 10 2011, 10:40

Try Camrosa Ointment. It's a bit messy & you have to use a special shampoo first & a remover afterwards, but it works in about 90% of cases & has no harmful chemicals. This is the site........
http://www.camrosa.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=99
Maybe you could print it off for your friend so they can have a look. They're extremely friendly & helpful if they want to talk to them on the phone.

I bought a starter pack off them to treat a small patch of demodex on Dempsey's tail, and also a sore spot on his foot & it worked a treat.

Back to top Go down

6 year old staffy who has mites Empty demodex mites

Post by bubbymum Mon Mar 07 2011, 21:44

My little girl has just been diagnosed with dermodex mites (dermodetic mange or red mange). She is due to start the aludex dip baths Thursday, vet will do the 1st, as dogs can react badly to this quite toxic substance, then we will continue baths at home on a weekly basis, we have been told it can take up to 10 weeks, and couldn't afford the £60 a time for the vet to do this, even tho this was what they advised! Rolling Eyes Also due to start Advocate drops (better than Frontline) We have put her on a very high protein diet with fish oil and evening primrose supplements, and have also been told cider vinegar in her food will help. Will do anything I can to help my poor baby, who, apart from her bald patches, is a lively, inqusitive and utterly adorable baby. Love Struck
bubbymum
bubbymum

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Cleo
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Mar 07 2011, 21:57

Mange is nasty, but at least its been diagnosed and the next steps can be taken. I wouldn't start the Advocate until the baths are done with. Poor thing, but you'll see results quickly.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue Mar 08 2011, 10:58

Basicaly all dogs carry the mange mite at some point puppies usually catch it from mum its when the imune is a little low that they seem to flourish so look at your dogs diet and lifestyle then a trip to the vets but continue with advocate/stronghold as this kills off the mites as they breed and give the dog a protection but you need to keep applying as you would a flee treatment to stop re-infestation
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content