Potty Training (Again)

2 posters

Go down

Sad Potty Training (Again)

Post by RosieRose Thu Dec 13 2012, 07:21

Hi all,
My 18mo girl is at the tail end of her heat (so the vet says) and trying to potty train her is proving difficult. I do have a courtyard and a lot of people have told me to put her out there and get her used to going outside, but I can't as next door have 2 male dogs that cry and bark when she's out there (and no one likes dogs going off like that all the time), the fence palings also have a gap between each big enough for them to see and touch each other, so I don't want to risk any "accidents". My other options are for her to go to the toilet on walks or wait with her out the front of my units on the grass (and she doesn't get the message here either and just lays on the grass)... But neither of those work either. She waits until she gets inside to go to the toilet on my garage floor Sad I have caught her mid pee and poo twice and taken her outside straight away with no response and I've also caught her just before peeing and taken her outside and she didn't relieve herself and spent the WHOLE day without going to the toilet until I left for work late in the afternoon.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! The vinegar/water mix I've been using in the garage to clean up the stink is a) smelling strongly of vinegar and b) lightening the colour on the concrete so I really need to get her out of this habit! And fast as I'm renting sigh

Thanks all!
RosieRose
RosieRose
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rosie
Dog(s) Ages : 19 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Potty Training (Again)

Post by Guest Thu Dec 13 2012, 09:27

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Is she a rescue and if so do you know her history. Sometimes it can take awhile for a dog to settle espically if they were mistreated

Back to top Go down

Post by RosieRose Thu Dec 13 2012, 09:43

Nah I bought her off someone who'd had her for a month. They'd taken her from a friend who was moving and if things went well would keep her. But she wasn't able to give Rosie the time she needed. She'd said that she was house trained and was let out every morning and afternoon to go to the toilet.
RosieRose
RosieRose

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Thu Dec 13 2012, 09:54

Sometimes it takes time to teach them. I would wait till she is not on heat any more then take her in the court yard. Try and get her out as often as you can and when she does do a wee just say wee wee or some thing similar so she associates going to the toilet with what your saying. Persistance is important so keep trying as much as you can. She should get the hang of it in time
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by RosieRose Thu Dec 13 2012, 09:56

Fingers crossed!
P.S. Any ideas on urine/urine smell removal from concrete and carpet?
RosieRose
RosieRose

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 13 2012, 10:01

You might find it easier once she's finished her season. If she's near the end now, you won't have too long to wait. Give it a week & then start to take her on long morning walks. Just keep walking until she's so bursting that she has to go! Then praise like mad!

You can get concrete cleaners, but I don't know how safe they are for dogs. Best to look on the packaging.

I think Jeyes Fluid is ok for dogs as long as it's dry before the dog walks on it, but again, you'd better check.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 13 2012, 10:16

Haven't tried it but I was told baking soda is good and non toxic.. Sprinkle baking soda on the floor, spray some water on it to make it a paste, then scrub with a broom then rinse it off.. It's worth a shot Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 13 2012, 10:28

Kat75 wrote:Haven't tried it but I was told baking soda is good and non toxic.. Sprinkle baking soda on the floor, spray some water on it to make it a paste, then scrub with a broom then rinse it off.. It's worth a shot Big Grin

That sounds a good one to try.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down