+2
Cornish-Muscle
nadinewebb
6 posters

Go down

Jumping & dominance Behaviour Empty Jumping & dominance Behaviour

Post by nadinewebb Wed Feb 02 2011, 11:07

Hi

I have two Staffys - one is 10 months(lenny) and the other is 6 months(poppy).

When walking them they are both really good and recall is great. The problem i am having with Lenny is he gets so excited and jumps up at people but literally jumps as high as peoples faces. Some people are fine with it and understand when i apologise but others are really rude to me as they have been scared by the jumping even if he is the biggest softy. Can somebody give me some advise on this? Also he loves children so if there are any children in the park we have to grab him or he will run and jump up at the child and push them over. All of his behaviour is completely friendly and he is the softest dog i know but it can scare people and i worry now when i take him out we will get people shouting at us.

Also Poppy is really good and doesnt jump up but she has a tendency of pinning other dogs to the floor and really growling at them, she is really tiny is this a dominance thing? Again other dog owners get panicky she is going to hurt their dogs, even though she is really small?

Any advise would be great please

Thanks

Nadine
nadinewebb
nadinewebb
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Jumping & dominance Behaviour Empty Re: Jumping & dominance Behaviour

Post by Cornish-Muscle Wed Feb 02 2011, 11:22

Hi and welcome.
I'd firstly suggest, getting a long line, even though you've said both of your dogs are soft all it takes is for their teeth to accidently catch some ones skin and you could all be in a whole world of trouble.

A good sharp "No" or a "Ah-ah" as soon as he looks like he's about to jump up, use treats to make you look more interesting.
I fully understand what you are going through, Molly does the same, she's usually wearing a harness, so I have to physically hold her down with it, when we are in the house, she is ten times as bad, she has to stay on a lead and about a foot away from everyone. I've been using the "If you're calm then you can go see them" idea, if she gets over excited she gets removed from the people again.
I would honestly suggest being very careful as Molly has already drawn blood on Leaim's brother just by jumping up on him, thankfully it wasn't a stranger.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by nadinewebb Wed Feb 02 2011, 11:26

Thank you for your advice! I will definately try using that, its such a shame as they are so friendly but like you said it could make it into a situation you do not want to happen! Thank you!!

Also - how do you put a picture to your profile (new at this)
nadinewebb
nadinewebb

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Wed Feb 02 2011, 11:28

No worries, with the stigma that Staffies have I personally think it's just not worth the risk.

To add a picture, go to Profile (up at the top), click Avatar, then there is an option to load up the picture there Smile
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by nadinewebb Wed Feb 02 2011, 11:30

Thank you!!
nadinewebb
nadinewebb

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 11:31

Yes, you'll need to stop this asap before someone gets injured or scared enough to call the police.

Does Lenny jump up at you as well, or just other people? If it's you as well, you'll need to stop that or he won't realise the difference. As Amy says, try a sharp "Ah Ah!" or "No!"and turn around so he gets no fuss. Keep repeating that & he'll get the message. When you're out, for the time being, keep him on a long line. If someone wants to meet him, then let them approach with him in the 'sit' and explain to them what you want them to do if he jumps up - just tell them he's 'in training'. If he goes to jump up, even when they've turned away, just turn away yourself and walk him a few paces, then turn back again and tell him to sit. Then try again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Wed Feb 02 2011, 11:33

nadinewebb wrote:Thank you!!

No worries, gorgeous dogs!
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 16:56

I had this problem with Samson and taught him to sit when greeting people, it worked eventually once the penny dropped, a simple but effective solution

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Wed Feb 02 2011, 20:57

Hi and welcome nice to see another blackk and tan there markings are great aint there not many around
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by nadinewebb Thu Feb 03 2011, 09:52

Thank you for your advice!

Yes beautiful markings - i havent ever seen another staffy with these markings before - everyone always comments! Is Kaiser a small staffy, Poppy is tiny x
nadinewebb
nadinewebb

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by HazelJ Sat Feb 05 2011, 01:45

Nadine my staffy does the same thing he jumps as high as my face as well and on occassion has nipped me, i firmly push him away and tell him NO u just hurt Mummy(my dogs are my babies lol) and that is NOT acceptable" he does it to my sister as well. I think it's just because he wants attention but he knows not to do it.
HazelJ
HazelJ
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Jumping & dominance Behaviour Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harley, Mia
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sat Feb 05 2011, 10:35

The suggestion of having to sit before greeting someone is a great idea. You have to be consistent, though. It's got to be every time. And you have to keep him on a (long) leash to make sure there are no jumping goikng on. (Until you know you can trust him.)
Do you know some people willing to help you? Some dog savvy people who won't be afraid and can "meet" Lenny either walking in your neighbourhood or a training field of some sort? Or gather up friends and family. Smile

I know around here it's usually possible to find specific classes for meet/greet training, dunno if you have something similar where you are. But if you can't find any you'll manage on your own as long as you put the effort in it. Good luck!
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lolalollypop Sat Feb 05 2011, 11:47

im going threw exactly the same with lola and im trying the sit greeting.its working most of the time but the same as yours she adores children and cus she plays with mine all the time doesnt understand why she cant with others.she is getting better at it and runs free in the park 80 percent of the time now unless theres lots of children about then its long lead time.(i actualy use a horse lunge line its huge lol).as has already been said being consistant is the best thing you can do or your pups will get confused....and lets be honest it doesnt take alot to confuse staffy pups lol

p.s. stunning pups Smile
lolalollypop
lolalollypop
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Jumping & dominance Behaviour Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : lola esme
Dog Gender(s) : females

Back to top Go down

Post by nadinewebb Mon Feb 07 2011, 09:20

Thanks guys! I am glad to hear others are doing it and not just my crazy pups Smile

I think i will try all options - with people coming to meet us over at the park and the long lead. The thing is he doesnt do it all the time so you can never be too sure but i will just have to be consistent and stick with it!!

Thanks again!! x
nadinewebb
nadinewebb

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down