Medication problems?

3 posters

Go down

Sad Medication problems?

Post by Koyah.16 Sun Oct 14 2012, 22:40

Hi all you fellow staffy lovers thumbs up

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and what your take on this is , a month ago on Friday My girl was at the vets due to allergies to insect bites (hypersensitivity to insects vet said ) and he decided to put her on steroids. I didnt like the idea of her going on steroids Sad as she was on them before christmas for (dermatitis ) and they only made her paranoid and stressed out and more inwards and quiet which she aint. So i reminded him of this and he said its a different kind of steroid to what she was on before and to see how she got on so i thought fair enough if it helps her its worth it . So she started on 1 twice daily and it was horrible she was constantly shaking and was unsure of her surroundings and she seemed very distant to me which she never is as im with there all day every day 24/7 and were very close . Then she started wetting herself which is something she never does shes always a very happy doggy and tail never stops walking and shes very happy and bouncy all the time . I was just wondering what you would do she is now finished her first course but vet wants to start them up again for all of her allegries and was just wondering what you all thought of this and whats the best thing to do for my girl ?

Thanks Lizanne x

Koyah.16
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koyah, Xena , Rascal , Dior
Dog(s) Ages : koyahs 2 , xenas 1 , rascals 9 , diors 3
Dog Gender(s) : female, female , male , female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Medication problems?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 00:56

Personally I'd try looking at more holistic treatments. The steroids are clearly affecting her quality of life.

Does your vet have any 'natural remedy' practitioners that he can refer you to?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 01:04

Sorry i'm quite inexperienced but if she is hypersensitive to insects could you maybe use a type of insect repellent to stop her being bitten in the first place?? It seems sad that she has to take a medicine that is affecting her badly Sad poor baby..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 01:14

Insect repellants rarely have any effect on dogs for some reason. Sad And if she has sensitive skin it could irritate her. Have you tried giving Piriton?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 01:51

Caryll wrote:Insect repellants rarely have any effect on dogs for some reason. Sad And if she has sensitive skin it could irritate her. Have you tried giving Piriton?

Makes sense it probably would irritate her skin Sad , Steff has sensitive skin under her front legs, the vet suggested fish oil tabs and sardines mixed with her food..It hasn't really improved it though and I suppose that dosen't help with insect allergies.. There has to be something out there that would work without those nasty side effects though.. I just googled Piriton as I haven't heard of it before, have you ever used it Caryll? It said it was a sedating antihistamine, was wondering if it had the sedation effect on dogs?

Back to top Go down

Post by Koyah.16 Mon Oct 15 2012, 18:33

Caryll wrote:Personally I'd try looking at more holistic treatments. The steroids are clearly affecting her quality of life.

Does your vet have any 'natural remedy' practitioners that he can refer you to?

Thats what i was going to do after getting some advice from my Vet nurse friend . Its just i hate seeing my baby girl like this and since shes been off them today shes going back to her usual self and nope already asked him will just have to look into it and see what i can find thanks for your advice Smile

Lizanne x

Koyah.16

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Koyah.16 Mon Oct 15 2012, 18:37

Kat75 wrote:
Caryll wrote:Insect repellants rarely have any effect on dogs for some reason. Sad And if she has sensitive skin it could irritate her. Have you tried giving Piriton?

Makes sense it probably would irritate her skin Sad , Steff has sensitive skin under her front legs, the vet suggested fish oil tabs and sardines mixed with her food..It hasn't really improved it though and I suppose that dosen't help with insect allergies.. There has to be something out there that would work without those nasty side effects though.. I just googled Piriton as I haven't heard of it before, have you ever used it Caryll? It said it was a sedating antihistamine, was wondering if it had the sedation effect on dogs?

Hi there thanks for your reply its horrible watching my furbaby being in so much pain all the time Sad i do use piriton but only for hives as it doesent help with her allergies only helps to take her hives down think its because she got them too much during the summer and they dont have any side effects on her thanks for your reply

Lizanne xx

Koyah.16

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by paul/beau Mon Oct 15 2012, 19:39

My beau has the same and he is on Piriton once a day and only in the summer

paul/beau
paul/beau
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Beau
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 19:44

Kat75 wrote:

Yes, I've used Piriton, but I don't think you can get it in Australia. The following might be helpful to you, though....

http://www.ingleburnvet.com.au/antihistamines.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 23:44

Caryll wrote:
Kat75 wrote:

Yes, I've used Piriton, but I don't think you can get it in Australia. The following might be helpful to you, though....

http://www.ingleburnvet.com.au/antihistamines.htm

Thanks Caryll.. It's called Phenergan here I think, it is used in hyperactive kids as well as an antihistamine Smile Does it have the same sedatation effect on dogs though?? At 13 weeks sedating her is very tempting at times :-$ Laughing but wouldn't really like a dizzy doggy silly she is silly enough

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 23:49

Koyah.16 wrote:
Kat75 wrote:

Hi there thanks for your reply its horrible watching my furbaby being in so much pain all the time Sad i do use piriton but only for hives as it doesent help with her allergies only helps to take her hives down think its because she got them too much during the summer and they dont have any side effects on her thanks for your reply

Lizanne xx

Ohh poor baby Sad please let me know if you find any holistic remedies.. I think my girl may get more skin problems especially now we are coming into summer..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 10:09

Kat75 wrote:Thanks Caryll.. It's called Phenergan here I think, it is used in hyperactive kids as well as an antihistamine Smile Does it have the same sedatation effect on dogs though?? At 13 weeks sedating her is very tempting at times :-$ Laughing but wouldn't really like a dizzy doggy silly she is silly enough

It does sedate, but only if you use it occasionally. Apparently, if you use it regularly, they get used to it & the sedation doesn't have any effect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 10:38

Thanks for the info Caryll..

And so sorry Lizanne for hijacking your thread oooppss!

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Tue Oct 16 2012, 18:38

Tell the vet you would like to discuss other options. There are different ways to treat allergies, at least in people.
micheled
micheled
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down