Tips for training polite behaviour when meeting other dogs

+2
Thomos 2
Hoppergrass
6 posters

Go down

Tips for training polite behaviour when meeting other dogs Empty Tips for training polite behaviour when meeting other dogs

Post by Hoppergrass Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:17

Hi
We have a 2 year old rescue staffy called des that we have had 6months now. Now we have got to know each other we are looking to improve on a few things.
We have learnt loads form this site I regards to recall and are currently using the long lead in places where he would run off, ie:the woods. He seems better behaved already and getting more bonded to us every day, checking where we are now instead of running off.
The thing we are working on now is polite interaction with other dogs. Des is very curious and friendly but has no respect for space/behaviour/size of dog. He will great a jack Russell the same as a Labrador, and although a Labrador loves another dog bounding up to play another dog does not. The only dogs des giveaway wide berth to are collies, which seem to make him nervous.
Have you any tips on how we can improve on this, we don't have many freinds with dogs to practice on but we do meet dogs alot on general walks.

Hoppergrass
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Des
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Tips for training polite behaviour when meeting other dogs Empty Re: Tips for training polite behaviour when meeting other dogs

Post by Thomos 2 Sun Oct 14 2012, 22:08

Hi Des I'm going to be absolutely no help at all here, I have the same problem with one of mine, Enya gives the perfect wriggly bowed down submissive greeting and Enzo is a battering ram, just a lummox, so i'm quietly watching for somebody to give you advice that will help me too. Big Grin
Thomos 2
Thomos 2
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : enzo & enya
Dog(s) Ages : 6months
Dog Gender(s) : male & female
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

Tips for training polite behaviour when meeting other dogs Empty Re: Tips for training polite behaviour when meeting other dogs

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14 2012, 22:15

If it's a specific dog you can walk them togeher. If not try having him sit and wait patiently before interacting with a dog. If he does something you don't like seperate the dogs and have him sit again. Takes some time but the more he around other dogs the better his behaviour will get.

Back to top Go down

Post by BetsyBoo Mon Oct 15 2012, 19:12

Hello
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you- I have the same problem. However it might be useful to share what I've found that helps. I've had Betsy for around the same too. When she first started off lead walks she would barge up to every adult (first) and then to each dog. Whilst most were kind of course it was a worry. She's a strong dog and with all the enthusiasm could knock someone over and of course not every person or dog will appreciate her greeting.
Along the lines of the advice given I've found the best thing is to give her something else to do- i.e. play ball usually works a treat for Bets. I will sometimes as a training exercise say to myself that I don't want her to approach a certain dog. It's handy as there are a few dogs that don't appreciate this and can react to her over confident welcome. I just keep a focus with her, high pitched excited tone and generally bounce around like I've had to many e numbers Smile I also find this useful as the kind of initial novelty of "Oooh look who's over there" has worn off a little so there's not so much of a charge when they do greet.
Another bit of advice was to focus on what you do want- say recall rather than trying to stop the unwanted behaviour which makes sense.
I also find it useful to try and be ahead of the game. I'm learning now to spot that initial look prior to charge and can sometimes intercept it with a game or an excited recall. Although yesterday Betsy was ahead of the game and made a charge over to the woods :0
Good luck! It sounds as if you've made amazing progress Smile
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Betsy
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomos 2 Mon Oct 15 2012, 23:45

' I just keep a focus with her, high pitched excited tone and generally bounce around like I've had to many e numbers'

That bit made me laugh Sam, it sounds like me. Looks like we are all sharing similar problems! Big Grin
Thomos 2
Thomos 2

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BetsyBoo Tue Oct 16 2012, 08:39

Hi Sheila- it is comforting to hear we're not alone with it. Ha- it can be a bit like- Oh yes there's another staffie owner bouncing around when we're on walks playfull
One things for sure- there is never a dull moment Big Grin
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Betsy
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomos 2 Tue Oct 16 2012, 18:04

Your right there Big Grin , Enzo is so flipping strong we go across and see another dog at 90mph, he's not aggressive, but I get afraid that he will trigger that behaviour in another dog. I've actually had to hang on to something to stop him. He's really good with listening for everything else, recall etc, but if theres another dog there is no stopping him(not even treats Sad ) Sometimes I feel like I'm the main character in a cartoon! On a serious note, really will have to do something or it could be a scrap waiting to happen Sad
Thomos 2
Thomos 2

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Oct 17 2012, 08:04

Troy is friendly with all dogs and never shows aggression unless another dog shows it first, but he has a very bad habit of trying to mount new dogs he meets. Very annoying and can cause fights.

Gee

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoppergrass Wed Oct 17 2012, 17:46

Thanks guys, Glad we are not on our own Big Grin

Hoppergrass

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoppergrass Wed Oct 17 2012, 17:53

jstaff wrote:If it's a specific dog you can walk them togeher. If not try having him sit and wait patiently before interacting with a dog. If he does something you don't like seperate the dogs and have him sit again. Takes some time but the more he around other dogs the better his behaviour will get.

Hi it doesn't seem to be a particular dog, it seems to be sensitive/nervous ones. Thank you we will try this and see what happens. We will need to be vigilant when he is off the lead and be prepared to put him on if needed.
He's just so keen to say hello, and spaniels and Labradors love him :-)

Hoppergrass

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by DextersMummy Tue Oct 23 2012, 13:55

We (me and the hubby) have been training Dexter to sit when other dogs approach us, however this doesn't work when the other dog is sat and we have to walk past them! Dexter was doing really well with the sitting but at the minute it is in one ear out of the other! He sits and then lunges when they walk past! He just wants to jump on the other dogs and play with them! I saw someone mention training to 'watch me' anyone have any ideas how this is done?
DextersMummy
DextersMummy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 18 mths

Back to top Go down

Post by Joj Sat Oct 27 2012, 20:28

Hi
I read that to get him to 'watch' you need to start in the house - point to your eyes and praise when he follows your finger and looks into your eyes. It said you should use a treat in your hand but i try to train ben without treats as he just jumps for them - wouldnt want that when it is by my face : )
Ben will do this in the house and we have started to use it to distract him from a toy when we're playing but outside he is more interested in everything else than me, but getting there, he did half turn his head to me the other day when walking Cool yay! Hope that helps
Joj
Joj
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Benny
Dog(s) Ages : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down