Fur going thin on front leg

2 posters

Go down

Fur going thin on front leg Empty Fur going thin on front leg

Post by Matt86 Mon Oct 08 2012, 22:38

Carly has thinning fur on her front leg and I think it's starting to come on her back leg but it's hard to tell. The skin doesn't look red or swollen and she doesn't seem to bite or itch excessively. It started shortly after I got her so I moved her from the crappy Iams complete to Arden Grange. The bit of fur on her head seemed to become a bit thicker. She's now, from today, on James Wellbeloved as the pet shop doesn't have a reliable supply of Arden Grange. I'm just wondering if it's even worth going to the vet again as the first time he said ''alot of puppies get patchy fur and it sorts itself out in time.''

I know all dogs have demodex mites naturally on their skin and it only flares up if the immune system is low but Carly has been off Iams and on good quality food for 2 weeks now. She is alert (to EVERYTHING), bright, gets plenty of exercise inside the house and out. Wouldn't she look or act ill if her immune system was down?

How long does it take after changing to a high quality food to see differences in the fur (growth and condition)?

Sorry for the very general questions Tongues

Bit of a quick edit. She just sat on my knee relaxed then started nibbling at her leg. Not the one with fur loss but the other. She does do a bit of a nibble thing now I come to think. Looks like she's pruning herself with her front 3 teeth. Dunno if that helps at all?

Last edited by Matt86 on Mon Oct 08 2012, 22:47; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just sat on my knee)

Matt86
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Carly
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Fur going thin on front leg Empty Re: Fur going thin on front leg

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09 2012, 11:02

Just been looking back over some of Carly's pics & it looks like she has a touch of blue in her colouring? If that's the case, then she could well have sensitive skin - some blues are more prone to this.

You could try adding some salmon oil to her food (a couple of teaspoons a day), which would help with her general skin condition & reduce the dryness.

Changing food, it can often take a month or so to really see the benefits.

It's possible that she has an attack of Demodex (Demodectic Mites), which is fairly common in puppies, and if that's the case then it should gradually clear up as her immune system strengthens.

Try the salmon oil & keep an eye on the patches. If it looks like they're getting worse you could ask your vet for a skin scrape to test for mites.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Oct 09 2012, 14:05

Would echo what Caryll has said above, could you add some sardines to her food as they are high in omega 3 and 6 which is excellent for healthy skin and coat. Give it some time, I sure you will soon see the difference in her.

The James Wellbeloved is a good food which is also hypoallergenic, they do a fish version of the food have you tried this one yet??

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog-food/puppy/fish-rice-puppy
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt86 Tue Oct 09 2012, 14:31

kathytake2 wrote:Would echo what Caryll has said above, could you add some sardines to her food as they are high in omega 3 and 6 which is excellent for healthy skin and coat. Give it some time, I sure you will soon see the difference in her.

The James Wellbeloved is a good food which is also hypoallergenic, they do a fish version of the food have you tried this one yet??

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog-food/puppy/fish-rice-puppy

Yep, that's the one she's on now Big Grin It stinks to high heaven but I suppose it has to or they wouldn't eat it Tongues

Matt86

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt86 Tue Oct 09 2012, 14:35

Caryll wrote:Just been looking back over some of Carly's pics & it looks like she has a touch of blue in her colouring? If that's the case, then she could well have sensitive skin - some blues are more prone to this.

You could try adding some salmon oil to her food (a couple of teaspoons a day), which would help with her general skin condition & reduce the dryness.

Changing food, it can often take a month or so to really see the benefits.

It's possible that she has an attack of Demodex (Demodectic Mites), which is fairly common in puppies, and if that's the case then it should gradually clear up as her immune system strengthens.

Try the salmon oil & keep an eye on the patches. If it looks like they're getting worse you could ask your vet for a skin scrape to test for mites.

Not sure about the blue coloring to be honest. I know her dad was full black (judging by the pic of him) and her mum was tan. Her dad could well have been blue but sadly he had ran away apparently and only the mother was there to view. Great idea about the salmon oil! If only I had seen this post before I went shopping today Laughing

Matt86

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content