where my deaf dog should sleep?

5 posters

Go down

where my deaf dog should sleep? Empty where my deaf dog should sleep?

Post by Roca Sun Oct 07 2012, 18:54

Hello!

Roca is 10 weeks old deaf dog and Im not sure where she should sleep. I bought her a bed so she can lie down in our bedroom but she just treat it like a big cuddly toy - she keeps bitting. For first few days she was sleeping in our bed, where she behaved very well - she wakes us every time she want to go to toilet (training pad)

She already got quarter of our living room where shes got a play pen with a toys and water and a crate. Me and my fiancee we both work on morning shift so thats where she stays. My neighbour says she behaves ok during a day (she was screaming for first few days). We put her in play pen for last few day to go to sleep and after few hours she wakes up and end up with one of us on sofa. Me and my fiancee swap every day so one sleep in living room and other in bedroom, but this of course need to stop.

Shall we just live her is a crate and ignore her? Some people says to put a radio on, but because shes deaf its not a good idea for her. Im not sure if is ok for her to leave her on her own during a night, wake up, go for a walk and leave her again? Im buying a smaller crate (I think the one we got is too big and not cosy enough) so maybe she can stay in our bedroom, but im not sure she will be sleep without wakeing us up... Is ok for her to have 2 "safe" places where she can sleep?

i dont know
Roca
Roca
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Roca
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

where my deaf dog should sleep? Empty Re: where my deaf dog should sleep?

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07 2012, 19:41

It's OK for her to have more than one safe place to sleep in, but it's also OK to wake her up to go to the toilet and then send her back to bed. I don't hear Loki cry, so I always wake him up to take him outside, then send him back to bed, and it's worked fine for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Roca Sun Oct 07 2012, 19:45

ANattyRat wrote:It's OK for her to have more than one safe place to sleep in, but it's also OK to wake her up to go to the toilet and then send her back to bed. I don't hear Loki cry, so I always wake him up to take him outside, then send him back to bed, and it's worked fine for me.

even ok to leave her from about 10pm, go for a walk at about 6am and leave her again till about 3pm ???
Roca
Roca

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07 2012, 20:47

Roca wrote:
even ok to leave her from about 10pm, go for a walk at about 6am and leave her again till about 3pm ???

That's really too long to go for a pup - can nobody let her out in the garden to relieve herself during the day?

For young pups I usually put them to bed at about 10pm, then I get up at about 4am to let them have a pee & then back to bed until about 8am when they go out again. Really, at her age she should be going out into the garden every hour so that she will learn that it's good to go outside, but not good to go inside. You will have problems house training her if she is left alone from 6am until 3pm. In fact, for such a sociable breed, such a long period on her own would be somewhat cruel. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Roca Sun Oct 07 2012, 21:41

Caryll wrote:
Roca wrote:

That's really too long to go for a pup - can nobody let her out in the garden to relieve herself during the day?

For young pups I usually put them to bed at about 10pm, then I get up at about 4am to let them have a pee & then back to bed until about 8am when they go out again. Really, at her age she should be going out into the garden every hour so that she will learn that it's good to go outside, but not good to go inside. You will have problems house training her if she is left alone from 6am until 3pm. In fact, for such a sociable breed, such a long period on her own would be somewhat cruel. Sad

I work on different shifts, but for now i need to do early shifts and Im not happy because shes a puppy Sad
Roca
Roca

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07 2012, 21:47

9 hours is really much too long. Is there nobody who can come in, or is there anyone who can have her for a few hours during the day?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 08 2012, 01:34

Yeah, that would be too long; not just because of her needing to go to the toilet, but also because they're so playful and sociable, she'd get bored being on her own for so long. Particularly at a time when training is crucial. I mean, training is important at any age, but when they're so young, they soak it all up. As Caryll said, it'd be good if someone else (friend, family member, neighbour, etc.) could check in on her, spend some time with her, etc. Puppies do spend a lot of time sleeping (not mine, but they're meant to Big Grin), but when they're not sleeping, they really do crave company and something to do to stop them being bored.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Mon Oct 08 2012, 15:23

Can you not get a neighbour or dog walker to pop in and play with her for half an hour? Or just let her in the garden for a bit?
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by x0gawjus0x Wed Oct 10 2012, 08:41

ohh Sad you should of waited a bit to get the puppy when you know youre nott working mornings so that shes not alone so much,

i couldnt imagen leaving vinnie that long hes 5 months now and the longest he's been left on his own is about 4 hours and even then i feel horrible and cant stop thinking bout him whilst im gone!

try and get a dog walker or something theyre not very expensive to come for an hour a day and give the pup company bless her, shes only just left her family she'll be lonely SadSad
x0gawjus0x
x0gawjus0x
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 10/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Roca Thu Oct 11 2012, 19:51

hello everybody!

thanks all for your concern! Just to let you all know, I spoke to my manager and im gonna change my working hours, so she will be only alone for 4 hours. Im changing my shift in 2 weeks... but im off next week, so I will spend my time with her Smile

Unfortunetly there was no option for dog walker, cos shes only 10 weeks old... my neighbour came few time to sit with her. Shes growing up so quickly and I can say shes well trained already Smile

However i think we do an off topic her, its not about how much time can she spend on her own, but where she should sleep? I still could figure it out Smile
I hope after a long walk (after second injection) she will be sleeping better...
Roca
Roca

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Thu Oct 11 2012, 19:59

Both mine started off with they will stay downstairs then it was well they can have their bed upstairs but now they both sleep on the end of the bed and love it my girl even snuggles under the cover lol
Staffs do love their cuddles
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 11 2012, 20:01

Our 2 have always slept on the bed since they could be trusted to not need the crate through the night

Did you get you Baer test done then ?? Think I must have missed posts as you were talking about the possibility , and now it seems definite

Back to top Go down

Post by Roca Thu Oct 11 2012, 20:50

Dave wrote:Our 2 have always slept on the bed since they could be trusted to not need the crate through the night

Did you get you Baer test done then ?? Think I must have missed posts as you were talking about the possibility , and now it seems definite

I didnt do a Bear test. I got some advice - "The BAER test distinguishes between deafness and hearing so if you know that your puppy is certainly deaf then there is little further information that it will give" - and I can tell by myself my puppy is 100% deaf.

Roca since she sleeps in a bed with us behave very well. She wakes us up by licking or lighty bitting and sniffs the bed - thats the time she want to go to her training pad Smile She never had any accident!
The only problem is she likes to lick a lot and bite a lot - we cant sleep from about 4am... hypnotised She likes to sleep on our pillows to make more space for herself >Smile
Roca
Roca

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Tue Oct 16 2012, 18:01

Callie has an upstairs crate in my daughter's room where she sleeps at night. I think she knows this is her bed as she'll run in it and curl up when we all start getting ready for bed (unless she is angling to get in bed with me and my husband which sometimes happens).

She has the same crate downstairs in our kitchen, also with a blanket and toys, and that's where I crate her when I go out during the day for a few hours (she is chewy and untrustworthy Smile. She doesn't seem to mind going in it but doesn't spend much time in it anymore when we are all home--seems to have staked out the rug under the kitchen table as her preferred "den."

So in answer to your question I think they do fine with two crates.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 18:09

micheled wrote:Callie has an upstairs crate in my daughter's room where she sleeps at night. I think she knows this is her bed as she'll run in it and curl up when we all start getting ready for bed (unless she is angling to get in bed with me and my husband which sometimes happens).

She has the same crate downstairs in our kitchen, also with a blanket and toys, and that's where I crate her when I go out during the day for a few hours (she is chewy and untrustworthy Smile. She doesn't seem to mind going in it but doesn't spend much time in it anymore when we are all home--seems to have staked out the rug under the kitchen table as her preferred "den."

So in answer to your question I think they do fine with two crates.

In Tommy's early days (sorry I should have read your post better Sad ) we had exactly the same set up as her only the downstairs crate being in the hall and not the kitchen. Tommy was fine with this as he knew it was his daytime den, as I say crates have gone now though and we just lose the odd toilet roll here and there , no major dramas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down