On Heat!!

4 posters

Go down

On Heat!! Empty On Heat!!

Post by becki2009 Tue Sep 25 2012, 07:04

Woke up to find my baby is in season!! arhh any advice? I know to keep her in for around 7 days?

On Saturday we were going to leave Sky with one of our family members overnight( as when we both go on holiday we are having ach others dogs so its a getting used to it thing ) They have a year old male staffy. Is this a good idea still. She won't go on walks, she would have her own crate for night time, he has had the doggy snip anyway if they were to do anything they shouldnt she wouldnt get pregnant, they do know each other as have played before. What do you think, is it best to keep her totally away from males? Thankyou for any advice.
becki2009
becki2009
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sky
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

On Heat!! Empty Re: On Heat!!

Post by Guest Tue Sep 25 2012, 08:04

Firstly, forget the 7 days bit - you've got 3 weeks minimum!

The first 10 days are reasonably safe in as much as dogs will be interested in her but she won't want to mate. Then you have the receptive period of up to a week where she will be an absolute tart! That's the critical time. After that you go back to dogs being interested but she won't be.

I'd invest in some hygiene pants for during the day. The dog she's staying with will be driven nuts but obviously can't get her pregnant. He will try & mate her though so I think you ought to warn the people she's staying with that they will have their hands full!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 25 2012, 08:08

How long ago did this male have the snip ?? as he could still have live tadpoles hanging around.
And his bound to drive your family member crazy with his constant wooing songs of lust whistling
Its her 1st season i take it, so she may be abit depressed and abit clingy, topped with now being faced with her once male friend that wants giggy giggy with her she may become abit snappy.
An experienced stud would take no notice of a female in her 1st week of her season, its from the 2nd week on they put on their romantic ears and start wooing.
But his obviously not experienced in these things and the smells gonna drive him bonkers, especially if it wasn't that long ago he had the snip.

A snipped male can still mate and tie with a bitch.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyRoo Tue Sep 25 2012, 14:28

aww shes in season, we are still waiting for Ruby to come into her first season, shes 7 months on 26th of this month, not entirely sure when to expect it but her and Sky are very close in age arent they? hope it goes smoothly for her (and you Smile )
RubyRoo
RubyRoo

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : Born 26/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by becki2009 Tue Sep 25 2012, 17:57

I dont know when he got the snip id guess at 4 months ago?? and yes her first season.

Yeah sky is 7 months on the 11th of Oct! Today has gone ok,,shes in a very mopey mood. The blood isnt as bad as i thought too, i have put old bed sheets on the sofas.
Shame i cant take her out as ive just bought her a gentle leader and havnt been able to use it yet!
becki2009
becki2009

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Tue Sep 25 2012, 18:01

Just finishing up Callie's first heat. She's out of dog day care for three weeks.

Dog diapers a must (or as Caryll delicately put it, hygiene pants)

And the intact male schnauzer across the street has been howling when he sees her. After seeing his behavior, I have to admit I wouldn't want to babysit them together! Make sure your friends are prepared...

micheled
micheled
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyRoo Wed Sep 26 2012, 13:32

is there any way of knowing when they are coming into heat or is it something that just happens all of a sudden? its been soooo many years since ive had a bitch in season i cant remember. im expecting it very soon, but so far no signs of anything Smile hope skys doing ok with it
RubyRoo
RubyRoo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Wed Sep 26 2012, 13:45

Well, Callie's...girl parts...got very round and prominent from the back about a week before. They had been a little puffy for maybe 2 weeks prior but nothing like that last week. Do you remember what that looked like?

I don't know if that's a typical time frame, I'm sure the more experienced members could say.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by becki2009 Wed Sep 26 2012, 15:44

Skys lady bits enlarged quite a bit. from behind it looked quite swollen. Her teets ( is that what you call them on dogs?lol) also got bigger. That all happened i think over about three weeks so we knew it was soon!
becki2009
becki2009

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Wed Sep 26 2012, 20:00

Bode is in her 2nd season now,,

I remember before, and again now her looking like a boy from behind now lol..

As for the blood, from my experience with bode, it is light spotting, been able to manage it with clean bedding etc..

As for walking, I made no changes to her walking pattern last time or this time so far except she stays on the lead, if any dog comes near her, they will have to mount me before they mount her lol
Rob
Rob
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bode
Dog(s) Ages : 23/09/2011
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyRoo Wed Sep 26 2012, 21:46

thank you for the signs, will keep an eye out. i remember our old girl coing into season and how big her bits got, but couldnt remember if it was a sudden thing or they took a while to swell up. what a delightful subject Laughing
RubyRoo
RubyRoo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down