Boosters...

3 posters

Go down

Boosters... Empty Boosters...

Post by hollymolly Mon Sep 24 2012, 19:34

I know this topic has cropped up here before but i can't seem to find it...
How often do our dogs need there booster jabs as Inca has had one when she was 12 mnths old an i recently took her the vet to get her micro-chip checked an the vet pointed out that Inca's due her annual booster ?? As she is 2 yrs old now.. So what is the protocol on booster jabs .. confused
hollymolly
hollymolly
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Inca & Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs old & 2 yrs old ...
Dog Gender(s) : Both Females..
Support total : 84

Back to top Go down

Boosters... Empty Re: Boosters...

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 19:41

every 12 months should you want to keep them up to date , I know there are 1 or 2 people don't believe in boosters but not me , not worth the risk

Back to top Go down

Post by munschk Mon Sep 24 2012, 19:45

After her initial 2 or 3 as a pup (depends on what country you are), then veterinarians usually recommend yearly boosters but some people and veterinarians believe that a booster every 3 years is sufficient.

I'm like Dave though, I do it yearly (we have to boost Rabies yearly anyway, its required by law so do all of them at one time).
munschk
munschk
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Sep 24 2012, 20:17

Rocky also has his boosters yearly, although some are only needed every three years, if in any doubt check what he has (it should say on his veterinary card what injections he has) then do a search online for it.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 20:32

Dave wrote:every 12 months should you want to keep them up to date , I know there are 1 or 2 people don't believe in boosters but not me , not worth the risk

Apologies to all I honestly didn't know that sometimes it can be 3 years, mine have always all been yearly and I've had dogs all my life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 20:44

All booster vaccinations now last at least 3 years.

So, you should get your pup's (or rescue dog) first vaccinations done & then the first annual booster. After that every three years is sufficient.

However.......most vets will know if there is a higher than average occurance of the vaccinated diseases in your area (there are sometimes flare-ups for one reason or another) and if there appears to be a specific problem they may advise you to get the dog vaccinated against that particular disease more frequently.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 20:46

Caryll wrote:All booster vaccinations now last at least 3 years.

So, you should get your pup's (or rescue dog) first vaccinations done & then the first annual booster. After that every three years is sufficient.

However.......most vets will know if there is a higher than average occurance of the vaccinated diseases in your area (there are sometimes flare-ups for one reason or another) and if there appears to be a specific problem they may advise you to get the dog vaccinated against that particular disease more frequently.

Thanks Caryll , so when did this actually change , has it just been very recently ?? Tilly has had her 2nd year jabs just back in August

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Sep 24 2012, 20:58

Ohhhh will have to check this now, Rocky should have been due his boosters just before Christmas when he has his annual MOT too.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 21:06

It's been known for quite some time, but vets are only fairly recently coming round to not vaccinating annually. My own vet will vaccinate annually if the owner wants him to but is more than happy to leave it as every 3 years if challenged. He actually said to me that he feels we over vaccinate dogs and cats in this country in particular, but also the world over in general.

I was a bit peeved that he's have vaccinated Dempsey last year if I hadn't asked. When I mentioned this he said that ideas are slow to change & many people like the feeling of security that annual jabs give.

He doesn't vaccinate his own dogs annually - in fact he vaccinates them as pups, at 1 year old, at 4 years old and that's it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24 2012, 21:09

I'll have to ask him when I take Tommy in a week or so for his wormers, he never said anything to me and they send me a reminder for their "annual boosters" it's not me doing the running

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down