Denzil has arrived, so happy and few questions too :)

+2
Keith
PygmyParrot
6 posters

Go down

Denzil has arrived, so happy and few questions too :) Empty Denzil has arrived, so happy and few questions too :)

Post by PygmyParrot Sat Sep 22 2012, 11:39

For anyone who didn't see my topic in new members we have just been lucky enough to rehome a staffy by the name of Denzil. Initially we were going to start a weeks trial next week, but a few things changed in his situation and he is now with us for the trial as of last night. His previous owners were loving, however they had too many pets and children and he has been underfed (his back end is quite thin, he has plenty of energy but I cannot wait to get some meat on him!) and under exercised. He is amazing, very sweet natured, loving and really keen to get involved with everything we are doing as a family so far (he doesn't know who to follow round first!) He walks well on his lead, and despite being barked at by a few doggies on a walk this morning he didn't bat an eyelid just politely kept on walking and doing his own thing. The main question I have is I want to make sure we are feeding him enough, he was on plain old Butchers tripe mix at his old house (clearly not enough of it though) so we have got that for now, I do want to get him onto better quality food though. The dry mix I bought is Vets kitchen chicken and brown rice, it was the best thing sainsburys had at short notice but has pre biotics and a lot of natural ingredients so will do for now I think. Food brand suggestions would be welcome, and an idea of how much to give him of wet and/or dry twice a day. Cheers in advance you lovely people Big Grin
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 approx
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 100

Back to top Go down

Denzil has arrived, so happy and few questions too :) Empty Re: Denzil has arrived, so happy and few questions too :)

Post by Guest Sat Sep 22 2012, 11:51

Here is a list of good dry foods

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

Just go by the guidelines on the packaging and maybe a bit more if he is underweight. Than just go by his looks.

Back to top Go down

Denzil has arrived, so happy and few questions too :) Empty Re: Denzil has arrived, so happy and few questions too :)

Post by PygmyParrot Sat Sep 22 2012, 11:59

Thank you, I have posted a few photos below Smile

Denzil has arrived, so happy and few questions too :) WP_000155_zps7b442603

Denzil has arrived, so happy and few questions too :) WP_000153_zps55a32526
This one is just to show the thin part of his body, I'm hoping he will pad out quickly on regular meals.

Denzil has arrived, so happy and few questions too :) WP_000151_zps3bd5de2d
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 22 2012, 12:01

Quite a few of us feed Fish4dogs , highly recommended and there is an offer on their website at the moment. It's a personal choice for us as good food as long as cost isn't an issue to you (we have just changed from Wainwrights (Pets at Home) which is a good reasonable price food

Both Tilly and Tommy did well on the wainwrights but got a little bored , have to say they had good coats and no health probs with it , now they have fantastic coats Big Grin.
If you go to their website and email them they will send you out some free samples. We are using "Finest fish complete (adult) large bite"

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Categories/Dog-Shop/dog-food.aspx

type in Dailymirror20 at the voucher code fro 20% off

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 22 2012, 12:04

Can you get some full body pictures standing , difficult to see from these pics but he doesn't look massively underweight to me , he should be (though I have to say Tilly isnt Blushing ) light on his back end

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/standardataglance.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 22 2012, 12:08

And so the fun begins......... >Smile

Just had a quick look at the ingredients in Vets Kitchen dog food & it certainly isn't one of the worst! But you might want to just look around & see what's out there.

To be honest, he doesn't look that thin to me - it depends on how you like to see your dog, really. Some people prefer to see the rib cage, some want to feel it but not see it. Staffs do have very narrow waists, though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Sat Sep 22 2012, 12:19

He doesn't look underweight in that photo.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Sep 22 2012, 12:49

Rocky is now eating Barking Heads TLC as he isn't that keen on fish flavoured kibble, recently changed from James Wellbeloved as he got bored of it. We feed about 160g per day (split into 3 meals) with a little (about a tablespoonful) fresh cooked, cooled chicken in with it and he eats it very well. Rocky now weighs about 18 kilos.

Rocky is also now a lot calmer since being fed the Barking Heads food.

http://www.barkingheads.co.uk/
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Sep 22 2012, 13:05

Congratulations on your new addition amazing Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Sat Sep 22 2012, 13:30

That's very reassuring, the rescue centre staff did say he was only slightly underweight and it's good to hear that he looks ok to you in the photo - I will get a standing picture later when he has finished dozing Big Grin We can't stop smiling, seriously my jaw aches from grinning so much!
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Sep 22 2012, 13:41

PygmyParrot wrote: We can't stop smiling, seriously my jaw aches from grinning so much!

I know that feeling very well Laughing
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sat Sep 22 2012, 14:18

Hi from Ledger and me. Denzil looks great, Ledger was quite trim when I got him the vet said he was the lower end of healthy but could afford a couple of extra pounds on the basis that if he had a tummy upset for any reason he wouldn't drop into underweight.

We switched from James Wellbeloved to Pero Staffordshire Bull terrier food and he is thriving on it bulked out a bit and his coat is really good they also do trial bags which come with a free box of treats and a voucher for money off the next order and also a further 10% off if you buy in bulk
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Sat Sep 22 2012, 19:00

Sounds good, lots to check out then - brilliant.

Just had our second walk of the day, exploring the park and it was happy grunts the whole time. Great first day, I'm beyond over the moon.

Posting a couple of photos below with him standing, hope its a bit clearer was harder than I thought to get a good angle!

Denzil has arrived, so happy and few questions too :) Temporary_zps3501685c

Denzil has arrived, so happy and few questions too :) Temporary_zpsdb4ba0d6

Thanks again everyone, it's a real comfort knowing I can get advice on here!
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Sat Sep 22 2012, 19:08

He's slim but not skinny from those photos.
Just one extra kilo will make a difference but it's not an emergency. Smile
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Sep 22 2012, 19:09

I'm sure he'll be fine once into a good routine with you, feeding and exercise wise.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by LeaKyGDan Sat Sep 22 2012, 20:16

Molly is the same but you can only see the last pair of ribs but hopefully she'll get some bulk for if she gets ill ever. He doesn't look too bad Smile
LeaKyGDan
LeaKyGDan
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female!
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down