Please,tell me it's not happening again!

+4
Steve
bobs
janey
jola139
8 posters

Go down

Please,tell me it's not happening again! Empty Please,tell me it's not happening again!

Post by jola139 Thu Sep 20 2012, 09:36

It's Debo and I back with food problem. Well, as some of you might remember we trying F4Ds. I bought 1,5kg to try. We were introducing the food for over a week to be sure it won't upset his tummy. All went well, I bought 12kg bag and I think we might back with the problem. For the last two days he had 2-3 poos in the morning and the last one always was a bit loose. This morning I took him outside,he did poo. We came back ,he had breakfast and 10 min later was asking to go again-gess what? Another one. That was around 8am. At 9am we always go for a long walk-and there was the softy. Does he need more time for he's sysytem to accept the food? Or we really having problem with he's tummy?
jola139
jola139
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Please,tell me it's not happening again! Empty Re: Please,tell me it's not happening again!

Post by Guest Thu Sep 20 2012, 09:44

What else is he having during the day & when?

Back to top Go down

Please,tell me it's not happening again! Empty Re: Please,tell me it's not happening again!

Post by jola139 Thu Sep 20 2012, 09:48

Well, breakfast at 7.30am, sometimes give him piece of dry bread, around 1.30pm lunch and I'm sure my OH give him a bit of chicken from his lunch and then 8ish supper. He's having his treats, we buy them at PAH but he's having them since he was a puppy.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Sep 20 2012, 09:50

How long has he been on f4d now? You could try feeding after walks, leave it an hour when you get in and feed then, this way it has more time to settle in his tum. Believe me I have been there with sensitive tums with Moo, thank god Debo makes it outside!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Thu Sep 20 2012, 09:53

About week and a half. We stoped mixing the food on Tuesday so from then he's getting full portion of F4D. We'll give it a go.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 20 2012, 09:55

Is he snacking on things he shouldn't? A week should be enough time for him to adjust to a new food but he could also have an extra sensitive stomach.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Sep 20 2012, 09:58

Try changing his feed and give that a bit of time, if its still the same then post about it again, I say this cause Moo had the runny poo (she still does have the odd one, I call it her excited poo as its when she is running round like a loon) but its 100% better than it was but took about a month to settle down Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Thu Sep 20 2012, 09:58

Hi Jola, Shaz (Sophie's mum) here. If Debo is celiac like Sophie, you have to be TOTALLY disciplined. The bread could have caused it.

Chicken and f4d ONLY. It is so hard but it is a matter of being cruel to be kind.

Last Tuesday, Sophie snaffled a piece of pizza (long story but there is a thread about it on here). She was fine for two days then was violently sick twice early hours of Friday morning and later in the day on Friday. Since then, she has been absolutely fine.

That is the only blip we have had since May.

We so want to treat her but know what effect it will hav on her so to treat her we keep a small pot of the f4d on the side and she has a couple of those when we would normally have snuck someting off our plate in her direction.
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Thu Sep 20 2012, 09:59

Cow's patches-he's best snack ever and at the back of the house there are blueberries he sometimes pick up when I'm not fast enough. Do you think I should give it more time. Really don't want to be stack with another full bag of dry food.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Thu Sep 20 2012, 10:01

Just read back about treats from PAH. They could also be causing it. Again, Sophie used to tolerate anything including treats, smacko's and any other doggy treat. She gradually developed an intolerance over the space of a few months, gradually getting sicker more frequently until it was every single day.
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Sep 20 2012, 10:01

The worst thing you can do when they have sensitive tums is to swap and change, it did take me 3 years and 3 different types of kibble to find one that suited Moo, this may not be the one for Debo but stick with it for at least a month
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Thu Sep 20 2012, 10:13

Thanks guys. So , new plan. No more PAH treats-just chicken or F4D. I will give it a try longer.Do you think it might be because it eats it like crazy? Everyting was fine when he was given f4d plus rice,you think I can mix it?
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Sep 20 2012, 10:16

I used to add rice when she was on JWB but tbh I don't think you need too, just give it a little longer, Moo wasn't allowed any treats what so ever and its only been a recent thing that I can give her a denta stick without it upsetting her tum, it they have sensitive tums these things take time but you will get there Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 20 2012, 12:54

I'd cut out the bread entirely. Wheat will often be the source of food intolerences.

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Thu Sep 20 2012, 13:04

I think we're going to start with cutting the bread and see what's happen. If I take away everything at same time, I won't know what cause it. When I think about now it make sens,it only happens in the morning after having bread,then for the rest of the day it's fine. Will keep you informed.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Sep 20 2012, 13:17

i would only give him fish 4 dogs nothing else.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Thu Sep 20 2012, 13:37

Keep us posted. It confirmed our diagnosis after Sophie being totally healthy tum wise since May and then being sick after the contraband pizza.
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Sep 20 2012, 17:13

Try putting his food in a Kong to slow down the time it takes him to eat it. He could eating to quickly. Amazon have them ata reasonable price, see link below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kong-Original-Extreme-Large-Black/dp/B0002AR0II/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348157513&sr=8-2
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu Sep 20 2012, 17:47

I would cut out all treats. Focus only on fish4dogs food. Dont add anything else at all.
No bits n pieces from ur leftovers etc either.

If he were mine I'd maby give him a spoonful of natural yogurt as a topping on his food each morning. It can help with digestion.

Treat wise I would stick with fush4dogs treats, or something basic but tasty like cooked carrot slices. (I use a steamer to cook carrots as it keeps goodness in).

Monitor him over the next week or so sticking to a super strict diet x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Thu Sep 20 2012, 20:59

My OH took him for a walk this afternoon,there was a little poo in 1-10 he gave it 6,5. Then about an hour after wallk he gave him meal ,took him out before work and nothing came out. I came back around 8,took him for a wee - nothing,gave him supper-still nothing.It's been 1/2hour.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 20 2012, 21:12

So at least no bum gravy!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Sep 20 2012, 21:15

Me and mum/walker used to grade Moo's poo lmao Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Fri Sep 21 2012, 10:01

Ok,so yesterday all day only f4d,even for a treat. Night poo out of 10-10 Big Grin .
This morning ,breakfast,( no bread )out for a wee - there was one,could give it a 9. Around 9am ( an hour after breakfast) long walk- we had one more, 8,5-9. So no bad.
Do you give your dogs anything for their joints?
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 21 2012, 11:06

I don't, but I know some people do.

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Wed Sep 26 2012, 07:44

Ok,so it's been six days. On Saturday we gave him his old treats,poo after was loose. So now we know no bread or those treats. Since then we having 4 poos every day. All good ones- 9 out of 10 Laughing . They all at the same times-morning,mid morning,afternoon ,late night. Is this ok?We started 3rd week on f4d. On weekend want to start slowly reducing middle meal and moving mornig one 1-2hrs later, so he can finally have 2 meals. Hoping after cutting one meal will reduce the poo praying
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26 2012, 09:14

It would be interesting to see what is in the ingredients for the treats - it might help to know what you may need to avoid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Sep 26 2012, 09:35

Wheat is the worse thing for dogs, as I found out, I followed Sophies story, and put PIxee on that, but was worry about her getting all the right food, tried her on Wainwrights, and so far so good, although she does poo more on that food, I will be changing her to fish4dogs soon. Good luck Smile
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Wed Sep 26 2012, 09:46

So that's what in treats:
cereals,meat and animal derivatives,veg derivaties,veg protein extracts,oil and fat.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26 2012, 09:50

jola139 wrote:So that's what in treats:
cereals,meat and animal derivatives,veg derivaties,veg protein extracts,oil and fat.

I'm willing to bet that's mainly wheat.

Back to top Go down

Post by munschk Wed Sep 26 2012, 12:37

I wouldn't be so sure of that, Hiccup still has quite a few, usually between 3-4 and its not always related to how often they get fed as Hiccup's usual one at the park is at 5pm and he gets fed at 7am and 6pm so no link there! Its all about the amount of time it takes to move through the digestive tract.

I haven't given anything for Hiccup's joints yet as he's still very young but I am considering putting him on a joint supplement when he's a little older as being a very active, muscled dog, the chance of him developing arthritis in old age is pretty good (well most dogs develop some degree of arthritis anyway). But will need to see if he can have the flavoured powders etc. due to his food allergy.
munschk
munschk
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26 2012, 12:45

I'd just give him the capsules - omega oils/glaucosamine etc. More natural than the powders you can buy for pets.

Back to top Go down

Post by munschk Wed Sep 26 2012, 12:52

His diet is already very rich in omega 3 and 6, I'm looking to supplement with glucosamine and chondroitin but probably won't start for a year or two (if even then) so will see what to use then - who knows what products will be available then...
munschk
munschk

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down