Cyril baby
Andy
steve76
goldie87
8 posters

Go down

Winter Empty Winter

Post by goldie87 Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:27 am

As its starting to get cold now, I wanted to know a few things about staffies in the winter. Zeus sleeps in the kitchen in his crate, we've got laminate flooring in there and it tends to get pretty cold at night, especially when its minus figures during peak winter.

Do the cold temperatures and conditions affect staffies the same way it does for us humans? If so, what can I do to make him warmer in the winter?
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Winter Empty Re: Winter

Post by steve76 Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:32 am

Being short haired, they'll feel the cold a lot more than say a gsd, could you not put a portable heater in the kitchen at night?
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:35 am

Some staffs cope really well with lower temperatures as long as they have warm bedding & no draughts.

If you feel she'll get too cold though, you could do what I do (I have the same type of flooring in the kitchen & it gets quite cold in there in the winter), get a fleece hoodie!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSTOM-MADE-STAFFORDSHIRE-ENGLISH-BULL-TERRIER-HOODY-/120974171080?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item1c2a9f5bc8

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:38 am

steve76 wrote:Being short haired, they'll feel the cold a lot more than say a gsd, could you not put a portable heater in the kitchen at night?

I could yes, that's a good idea, thanks!

Caryll wrote:Some staffs cope really well with lower temperatures as long as they have warm bedding & no draughts.

If you feel she'll get too cold though, you could do what I do (I have the same type of flooring in the kitchen & it gets quite cold in there in the winter), get a fleece hoodie!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSTOM-MADE-STAFFORDSHIRE-ENGLISH-BULL-TERRIER-HOODY-/120974171080?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item1c2a9f5bc8

I did think about getting him a hoody/top, but I can't imagine him being OK with it, he'll just chew it up.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:39 am

Yep .. Max is a tough little bu@@er, but he likes comfort and warmth like all staffys Love Struck

He also sleeps in the kitchen which has a cold tiled floor, so his bed is under the end of a work top in a cosey corner, next to a radiator that ticks away all the time controlled by a thermostat Wink ... he gets quite anxisous (spelling spazz) if he's cold at night, and wont settle bless him >Big Grin<
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:42 am

goldie87 wrote:I did think about getting him a hoody/top, but I can't imagine him being OK with it, he'll just chew it up.

They're quite a snug fit & very warm. He'd probably love it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:23 am

Plenty of very warm bedding for him to lie on, also an old sleeping bag over the top and down 3 sides, just the door end open, that will help keep him warm.

I like the Equa fleece jumpers, http://www.equafleece.co.uk/store/dogs.html they can run all they want in the tankies, a friend's Staffy loves his, he even goes swimming in it but not supposed to. rolling on the floor The dog stays warm even when it is wet.
Cyril baby
Cyril baby
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Winter Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:43 am

Rocky has the pleasure of sleeping on a super king size bed all night with his Mum & Dad, no chance of him getting anywhere near cold Laughing Unfortunately though no all dogs have this pleasure, you could try putting a nice warm blanket in his bed for him to snuggle up to.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:13 pm

do any of you have one of those coat things for them to wear on walks> my little one was shivering at the start of the walk today
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Winter Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Dempsey has a big, heavy coat for the really cold weather, but he rarely wears it. He also has a raincoat, but that's for his late night walk because I don't like him going to bed damp! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steph&Sash Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:03 pm

Caryll wrote:Some staffs cope really well with lower temperatures as long as they have warm bedding & no draughts.

I am sooooo getting Sash one of these, they are so cute lol thumbs up
Steph&Sash
Steph&Sash
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 1 Year
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Winter Empty so cool :)

Post by caz64 Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:44 pm

caz64
caz64
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dusty
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down