should 16/17 year old should be allow to vote in scotland independence referendum

3 posters

Go down

should 16/17 year old should be allow to vote in scotland independence referendum Empty should 16/17 year old should be allow to vote in scotland independence referendum

Post by Steve Tue Sep 04 2012, 18:27

Surprised i cant believe my ears they going be allow to vote say good bye to the United Kingdom....

girl just said I'm going vote for scotland independence because it be fun I dont want to s silly girl!!

Last edited by Steve on Tue Sep 04 2012, 18:38; edited 1 time in total

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

should 16/17 year old should be allow to vote in scotland independence referendum Empty Re: should 16/17 year old should be allow to vote in scotland independence referendum

Post by Keith Tue Sep 04 2012, 18:31

Are 16/17 year olds politically aware?
I don't think anyone under the age of 18 should be allowed to vote on something if they have a scant, or no, understanding of the implications of their vote.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

should 16/17 year old should be allow to vote in scotland independence referendum Empty Re: should 16/17 year old should be allow to vote in scotland independence referendum

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 18:32

Most of them are kids that don't know their own mind , though there are som emore advanced ones, maybe give them an IQ test first Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Sep 04 2012, 19:01

I don't think any 16/17 shouldn't be allow to vote don't how clever they are... only adults should take part!

Last edited by Steve on Tue Sep 04 2012, 22:21; edited 1 time in total

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 19:14

If it really comes down to it though do you think 18 is old enough , I personally know I wasn't mature enough at 18 to vote and would go for the one I thought wouldn't put fags and booze up in the budget

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Tue Sep 04 2012, 19:14

Someone invent a "common sense party".

Would do well.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Sep 04 2012, 19:22

i would vote for that CSP!! Big Grin

SNP is a joke party i really cant understand how the got in!! i thought the Tories and Labour was bad but SNP beat both them hands down!!

can anybody tell me how did they get the power??

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 19:55

Working dog wrote:Someone invent a "common sense party".

Would do well.

I shouldn't think they'd get more than 25 votes! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Sep 04 2012, 20:15

i think a centre party would do great in the poll CSP thumbs up

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 20:41

I think the voting age should correspond to the age where they can enter military service.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Sep 04 2012, 20:48

jstaff wrote:I think the voting age should correspond to the age where they can enter military service.

I think that still stands at 17 yrs 6 months, here anyway.

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 22:08

I can see a compelling argument for allowing younger people to vote though. Their futures can be ruined by the older population with huge debts run up that they will have to pay off. The 55 and older age group normally are the ones that vote so issues and policies are often tailored to their beliefs while the younger generation is often left out because they don't vote.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Sep 04 2012, 22:11

but this isn't just another poll this is about breaking up the United Kingdom if scotland leave there no United Kingdom.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 22:16

Steve wrote:i think a centre party would do great in the poll CSP thumbs up

But you're relying on people with common sense! there really aren't that many of us! Laughing

jstaff wrote:I can see a compelling argument for allowing younger people to vote though. Their futures can be ruined by the older population with huge debts run up that they will have to pay off. The 55 and older age group normally are the ones that vote so issues and policies are often tailored to their beliefs while the younger generation is often left out because they don't vote.

That says it all - they don't vote. Whose fault is that? Young people are the future of the world, they should become interested in politics/world affairs & take part in running their country by voting for whoever best serves their needs as they see it. But they don't bother & then complain that nobody listens to them!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Sep 04 2012, 22:19

16/17 are not old enough to vote on this type of thing IMO this doesn't affect only people in scotland this affect the hole of the uk!!

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 22:22

That's true and a big part of the problem. Elected represenatives should care about all age groups but the youth, due to their own fault, often are left out. If the voting age were lowered and they were forced to take a class on government this could help form a good habit in paying attention and a feeling of civil responsibility.

I'm not entirely for lowering the age becasue I don't think they are responsible enough for it but I don't think lowering it to 17 would be the end of the world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Sep 04 2012, 22:24

the SNP want it lover because it's there only way of winning it.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 22:24

I think voting rights should be kept to the National Age - ie 18 here in the UK.

There's no point introducing different ages for different votes, young people generally take absolutely no notice of politics until they get close to voting age; then some will start to follow what's going on & form informed opinions, whilst others will just vote the same as their parents/friends etc or not vote at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 00:14

You can die fighting for your country at 16 so dam right you should have the right to vote at 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 12:47

BlueStaffBlue wrote:You can die fighting for your country at 16 so dam right you should have the right to vote at 16

You can join the army at 16 but there's a 7 month training programme before you join your unit so you wouldn't be sent overseas etc until at least 16 years 7 months, and probably older, depending on your exact age when you join.

But I take your point. Maybe they should increase the age at which you can join up?

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Thu Sep 06 2012, 12:53

BlueStaffBlue wrote:You can die fighting for your country at 16 so dam right you should have the right to vote at 16

This is a very good point.
How can you be considered adult enough to go to war yet juvenile enough to be denied the vote?
Hmm.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Sep 06 2012, 12:55

we talking about breaking up the hole of the uk.... if that happens our life are going to change complete

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 20:37

Working dog wrote:

This is a very good point.
How can you be considered adult enough to go to war yet juvenile enough to be denied the vote?
Hmm.

Can't argue with that point , but I have to beg the question , apart from getting a few less gold medals at the Olympics , would England seriously suffer without Scotland , I don't think so. For me I'm wuite happy to continue along together but if the Scottish want an independent country and economy why would England really want to stop them.

Now I sit an wait to be stoned verbally Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 20:58

Dave, I agree with you. What do we get from Scotland that we wouldn't be able to get if they were independant?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 21:00

Caryll wrote:Dave, I agree with you. What do we get from Scotland that we wouldn't be able to get if they were independant?

Holidays without needing a passport Big Grin, Bagpipes, and Rab C Nesbitt

Sorry to all our Scottish members I am only joking .............................or am I >Smile

And on that note I'm off to bed , night all Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 21:02

I don't holiday in scotland (too many midges), I can't stand bagpipes & I don't understand Rab C. Nesbitt..........point made I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down