On-lead socializing

4 posters

Go down

On-lead socializing Empty On-lead socializing

Post by Nor Cal Wed Aug 29 2012, 16:07

Hello all. I've been walking Bacon around a local park that has many dogs. I have an issue that happens some times and I'm not sure what I should be doing to discourage it.

As I mentioned before, he's a dominant pup. When he meets a dog that's smaller, or similar age as him he definitely tries to mount the other dog and put his legs over their neck. My response to this has been to pull him off as I feel that this behavior will lead to problems? Am I correct?

Secondly, Bacon is so eager to meet other dogs that when he finally does it's hard for me to get him to say goodbye and move along. Yesterday when I pulled him away he began to lunge, growl, and bark at the other dog who was just standing and looking at Bacon. When he starts doing this I usually tell him no and end the meet and greet session. Any other tips or advice?

Nor Cal
Nor Cal
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacon
Dog(s) Ages : Born 3/24/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

On-lead socializing Empty Re: On-lead socializing

Post by Guest Wed Aug 29 2012, 16:39

Just keep doing what you're doing. The growling etc at the end of play is frustration, which will improve as he gets older (or should do!).

You're definitely right to stop him humping (or trying to). A lot of dogs will take exception to this & it could end up in a fight!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 29 2012, 16:40

You could also try seperating the dogs for a couple of minutes mid-play, and then let them play again. This could serve as a calming point in the play & proof to both dogs that the lead going on doesn't necessarily mean the end!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Wed Aug 29 2012, 16:58

Forget about your pup being dominant, he is just a pup being a pup, his behaviour is what pups do until they learn how to be a dog. I prefer to let my pups run with mature dogs instead of pups, a mature dog will teach them a lot better than another pup will as they haven't learnt how to be a dog themselves.

Cyril is still a pup mentally, when I first got him I just had the 3 girls, Bonnie especially is very good at teaching a dog to be a dog, she is much better than I can every be. She has taught many dogs how to be and talk dog. A lot of Cyril's improvement has been because of my girls, without them he wouldn't have made the progress he has.

How old is Bacon now? He is approaching his teenage hooligan stage, we all know what teenagers can be like and how they try to push the boundaries, Bacon could be doing this. Instead of forcing him away by pulling him, try and encourage him away, often a tugger or ball will help or treats. It won't be easy to encourage him away but you won't get that behaviour from him.
Cyril baby
Cyril baby
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
On-lead socializing Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Wed Aug 29 2012, 18:34

Thanks Caryl and Cyril!

Good to get some advice about it.

I'll keep teaching Bacon the way! He is right around 6 months old now and i'm just waiting for the fun teenage phase to begin. nail biting

Cyril, you are right about forgetting the dominance stuff. It's just you hear it so much on tv/online that sometimes I start thinking about it more than I should. He's doing great with positive reinforcement training anyways...
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 29 2012, 21:48

Just keep doing what you are and he is just being a pup. Suki will still bark at other dogs when they don't want to play anymore and she's almost 2. You could use a treat to get him going when it's time to leave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 30 2012, 01:41

Any big/adult dogs who are well-behaved you can let him play with? They're more likely to put them in their place and let them know what is and isn't acceptable. But yeah, Loki doesn't growl when we have to leave, but he will just sit there and refuse to move for a little while; I'd say the growling is just a "noooo, I want to keep playing Sad" thing. Just keep doing what you're doing and eventually he'll pick up on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Thu Aug 30 2012, 14:21

Nor Cal wrote:
Cyril, you are right about forgetting the dominance stuff. It's just you hear it so much on tv/online that sometimes I start thinking about it more than I should. He's doing great with positive reinforcement training anyways...

The problem with "Dominance/dominate" is our interpretation of the word, "Boss" is nearly as bad, we all have different interpretations, some are really severe, "YOU WILL DO IT OR I WILL MAKE YOU" and give severe punishment if they are not obeyed, what they don't think about is the person/dog/horse etc doesn't understand what they have to do because they haven't been told/taught etc. When our boss tells us to do something we have to do it no matter what. Dogs don't understand this type of behaviour and they never will.

I have had various bosses over the years, some tried to dominate his staff, others we could twist round our little finger, most were in between. The best boss I every had what when I worked in a riding school, she wouldn't ask anyone to do a job that she wouldn't do herself, she always asked, never told. She was considerate and took into account what we were capable of doing. The worst never asked always told, he expected you to do the job immediately without question, if you didn't you were in trouble. Which type of boss would you prefer to work for, it is the same with our dogs. They prefer a kind, consistant owner who also keeps to the house rules.
Cyril baby
Cyril baby

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Thu Aug 30 2012, 16:32

Funny you should mention the boss thing! Was thinking the exact same thing myself. The "dominant" boss who "bullys" you into doing something is effective until you shut down or react in an aggressive explosive manner.

The "good" boss who encourages and rewards good "work/behavior" will IMO get better results.

Obviously, humans and dogs are different but I also believe there are similarities in the way we train/motivate dogs and humans.
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Thu Aug 30 2012, 19:52

Positive reinforcement works on children and partners as well. Wink
Cyril baby
Cyril baby

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Thu Aug 30 2012, 22:33

I was going to say what Tara said, any older, well behaved dogs he can play with? He will learn manners from them...
micheled
micheled
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Fri Aug 31 2012, 01:43

I thought I had two good playmates, but that has fizzled a bit. I took him once to play with a friends dog and they did relatively well. A couple of weeks later this same buddy introduced a puppy into his household and the adult dog killed it. It was very sad actually... Needless to say, I have not taken Bacon back to play with his dog.

Then I thought I had another playmate which is my cousins lab, but the lab was anxious and afraid of Bacon and kept backing off. I'm going to keep trying but don't want to force it due to the lab being a bit weary of Bacon.

Since he was removed from puppy class because he could not focus and got to aggressive with the other dogs I have to socialize him one dog at a time right now. I'm sticking with socializing him with other dogs "on lead" during our walks.

Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Fri Aug 31 2012, 12:08

Is there another dog training place you could try? Maybe someone else would give him another chance if you explained the situation...you are trying hard to do the best for him but the one piece you yourself cannot give him is how other dogs react when he does certain things.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Fri Aug 31 2012, 16:27

Nor Cal wrote:I thought I had two good playmates, but that has fizzled a bit. I took him once to play with a friends dog and they did relatively well. A couple of weeks later this same buddy introduced a puppy into his household and the adult dog killed it. It was very sad actually... Needless to say, I have not taken Bacon back to play with his dog.

Then I thought I had another playmate which is my cousins lab, but the lab was anxious and afraid of Bacon and kept backing off. I'm going to keep trying but don't want to force it due to the lab being a bit weary of Bacon.

Since he was removed from puppy class because he could not focus and got to aggressive with the other dogs I have to socialize him one dog at a time right now. I'm sticking with socializing him with other dogs "on lead" during our walks.

Taking delivery of my first staffy in 3 weeks time but have had dogs all my life. But surely he can't be "too aggressive" at 14 weeks???
I would try different classes.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Fri Aug 31 2012, 16:48

Nor Cal wrote:I thought I had two good playmates, but that has fizzled a bit. I took him once to play with a friends dog and they did relatively well. A couple of weeks later this same buddy introduced a puppy into his household and the adult dog killed it. It was very sad actually... Needless to say, I have not taken Bacon back to play with his dog.

You are wise not to take him back.

A lot depends on how they are introduced, I live on my own so can't walk any new dog with one of mine. How I intergrate a new dog is to put the new one into a room that has been set up for him, there is a crate and water in and I give them a feed as soon as they arrive. Once he has finished his feed I let my dogs one at a time sniff at the closed door, they know there is a dog in there but not what it looks like. My dogs can also see the other dog when I let him out into the back to toilet.

In the evening I put the new dog in a crate and let my dogs in one at a time to say hello, I don't let them stay with the dog but expect them to go and lie down somewhere while I let another in. Once they are all in and lying down I can relax.

I have the crate next to me and the new dog has a house lead on so if everything is quiet and settled, I let the dog out to lie next to me, I keep hold of the lead. If any of my dogs get up they are sent back again.

The new dog also sleeps in a crate in my bedroom, by the time I go to bed all the dogs are settled and seem happy with each other, the following day I put the new dog behind the fence on the garden and let mine out. It they don't take much notice it is ok to let the new dog intergrate, I let my dogs onto the garden one at a time with the new dog.

I don't go out and leave the new dog with one of mine for some time, he is always left in a room on his own or comes with me. This has worked for dogs that were dog aggressive, the dog has been given time to work out that my dogs are not a danger to him.

Were you asked not to take him to puppy class?
Cyril baby
Cyril baby

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Wed Sep 05 2012, 21:13

Were you asked not to take him to puppy class?

Yes, I was told i'd be better off removing him because he was being rough. I'm looking for a new class or group of people who would be understanding of my situation. Honestly, the real difficulty is getting past people's prejudice of the breed. Unfortunately, I believe that if I had a Golden Retriever puppy people would be more understanding and helpful.

I know i'll find some playmates or class that he can attend, but it is frustrating because I know the clock is ticking as he is going to be six months old this Friday.

Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down