Dilemma/I need to make a decision(Nothing Bad)

+8
alexiastra
jshrew
Galadriel
stella
Staffy lover
Kathy
goldie87
simoninwales
12 posters

Go down

Dilemma/I need to make a decision(Nothing Bad) Empty Dilemma/I need to make a decision(Nothing Bad)

Post by simoninwales Wed Aug 22 2012, 13:34

Hi Everyone

I have just joined and not done an intro yet

I have a small dilemma and it's Staffie shaped!

A friend of mine runs a rescue and I work with her husband 2 or 3 days a week. We have a Staffie boy in the rescue who has been with us for a little while.

Ever since I moved to Wales a year ago and aquired my own home I have wanted a dog. I am around them all the time with my friends wife running a rescue and they all know Simon is a soft touch for a dog treat because he always has them in his pockets.

I was originally going to go for a Greyhound but this little Staffie boy has had the privilage of working with us for the past week or so, mainly so as he has some company and is a little less stressed.

He is working his way into my heart to the point of me thinking of offering him his forever home.

My shadow is now Staffie shaped and everytime I leave my chair I come back and find a Staffie sitting on it. He will sit on command for me and the only thing he doesn't like is if you raise a hand near him, guess he has been hit in the past.

He is fantastic on a lead, no pulling or anything.

If I had him he would never be alone because he could come to work with me and the rest of the time I work from home so I am always around. We have loads of places to go for exersise as I am on the coast.

His only fault is he is a one dog biological weapon e.g. the smells that come from the non ears end are leathal but I guess we could work on that.

I can't stop thinking about him and I think we may have to try a one night sleep over to see how he is.

Go on people convince me

Regards

Simon
Fishguard, West Wales
simoninwales
simoninwales
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Teddy
Dog(s) Ages : 2.5
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 43

Back to top Go down

Dilemma/I need to make a decision(Nothing Bad) Empty Re: Dilemma/I need to make a decision(Nothing Bad)

Post by goldie87 Wed Aug 22 2012, 13:43

It'll be the best decision you've ever made. I can't imagine my life without Zeus now!
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Dilemma/I need to make a decision(Nothing Bad) Empty Re: Dilemma/I need to make a decision(Nothing Bad)

Post by Kathy Wed Aug 22 2012, 13:48

.................. and the decision is what exactly ???? Wink Sounds like you have fallen in love to me.

The smells eminating from the rear end could be to do with diet which can easily be solved, well kind of, with the right food. What is he eating currently ?

List of recommended dry foods below:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by simoninwales Wed Aug 22 2012, 14:04

kathytake2 wrote:.................. and the decision is what exactly ???? Wink Sounds like you have fallen in love to me.

The smells eminating from the rear end could be to do with diet which can easily be solved, well kind of, with the right food. What is he eating currently ?

List of recommended dry foods below:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

Not sure what he is eating at the moment as I generally don't get involved in feeding but I guessed from all the research I have done into Greys(Also champion farters) that it is probably diet related. Hope it's not the Pedigree Markies treats I carry around in my pockets as he likes those. Anyway I guess if he comes here I could experiment with what he likes and what makes him less windy. I doubt we could ever stop it but making it a little less leathal would be good.
simoninwales
simoninwales

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22 2012, 14:07

Go on, take him. Greyhounds are nice and all, but you can't cuddle a greyhound or youll get your eye poked out by a rib or hip bone lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Aug 22 2012, 14:18

Rocky used to do terrible farts quite often but these are now more.................. acceptable shall we say since his food was changed to Barking Heads, which he loves too.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Aug 22 2012, 14:37

Big Grin Go on you, take staffie boy in and give him a well deserved loving home, your heart has already been stolen and its in love with staffie boy. I can under the hand coming near him, trust me on this, in time he will come to trust your hand, but may not of strangers, as my Pixee is like that. Taking Pixee in is the best thing I have done, they are people loving dogs. Dont worry about the other end, the diet will help with that, we did have that problem and oh boy she knew how to clear a room out. Now shes a lady.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Aug 22 2012, 14:50

he'll be the best friend you could ever ask for,and the staffie kisses you'll get,well go on you know you want to!
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Aug 22 2012, 17:10

Doesn't sound like you need any convincing to me, think you've made your mind up already! Wink

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Aug 22 2012, 17:27

Ledger won me over the first time I saw him at the rescue centre, I couldn't not give him a forever home even though it was a month or so earlier than I had planned to take in a furbaby it worked out and it was the best decision I ever made he not only won me over but everyone he meets

As for the smells, diet will improve it and you become a little bit immune as time goes by
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by simoninwales Wed Aug 22 2012, 17:46

OK this is the source of the heartache

Dilemma/I need to make a decision(Nothing Bad) Teddy

My name is Teddy and I am a Staffie.

I only have the one brain cell and I am not over using that!

I like people and I just want to be loved.

Room clearance is a special skill that I have.

Simon is my bestest human friend because he always has dog treats on him and I know where he keeps them, all I have to do is something stupid or cute to get one. Failing that there is always the "What the hell" aproach, just mug him
simoninwales
simoninwales

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Wed Aug 22 2012, 17:55

he looks great! Love him!
If you take him it does mean you have to keep us updated on his progress Smile
alexiastra
alexiastra
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Dilemma/I need to make a decision(Nothing Bad) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://www.alexandrabuckle.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Wed Aug 22 2012, 18:07

You have to take him home because he looks just like my Callie Smile

I think greyhounds are beautiful. But you will never have a dog that will make you smile, or love you, or want your friendship, the way a Staff does. I've been around dogs my whole life and they are very special in the relationships they form with their humans.

She is quite farty, having said that...maybe if we fed her less cheese...but yes, she can clear a room.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by simoninwales Wed Aug 22 2012, 18:30

I took the photo of him which is why he is looking alert and straight at the camera.

My friends wife is away until the end of the week but I have asked him to lay the ground for me with her. He says it will be a formallity and she will be overjoyed that Teddy is going somewhere good.

If he does come here he will have the best of both worlds because he will have his forever sofa and also he will be able to go to work with me which is an environment he already knows because he has been in the rescue for a while. We have had him working with us and he has prooved he can behave himself and not have accidents indoors or mess around with stock. He might have to learn "stay" because when you go to get something off a low shelf he thinks you are bending down to play with him.

So, time to start dog proofing the house and purchasing some dog essentials.

Simon
Fishguard, West Wales
simoninwales
simoninwales

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Aug 22 2012, 18:37

Ohhhhhh he's soo handsome and I bet smarter than you make out.

Below is a sheet of info for new puppy owners but can be adapted for the slighly older dog too, not that much difference really.

Welcome to our world.

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/basicsfornewpuppyowners.html
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Aug 22 2012, 19:00

he is a gorgeous boy Love Struck
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22 2012, 19:21

He is a handsome looking dog. Wish you both the best.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22 2012, 19:22

there's no decision to be made if you don't take him I'm on my way down now, he is a beauty smally farts or no smelly farts Dilemma/I need to make a decision(Nothing Bad) 599462

Back to top Go down

Post by Lozlil Wed Aug 22 2012, 19:29

Hayley wrote:Go on, take him. Greyhounds are nice and all, but you can't cuddle a greyhound or youll get your eye poked out by a rib or hip bone lol
rolling on the floor

Lozlil
Lozlil
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Patch
Dog(s) Ages : 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22 2012, 20:45

Go for it, He'll be the most loyal, loving friend you'll ever want or need SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile A life without a staffy isnt a life at all SmileSmileSmile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Aug 23 2012, 11:21

Yay you've decided to have him! Hes a beaut, stunning dog and as everyone has said it will be the best decision you ever make. Smile Go on you know you want to. And Teddy is the perfect name for him!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Aug 23 2012, 14:04

Oh I am in love, you must take him home, and Pembrokshire, hey I know that area well, was my childhood holiday place, all those beaches to run round in, oh boy Teddy is one lucky boy. Staffies are just the best, that I can promise. Love Struck
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by simoninwales Thu Aug 23 2012, 22:04

Got some feedback on springing Teddy from prison.

My friend has spoken to his wife on the phone and she seems to be cool with the idea of me having him.

I have not seen him for a couple of days but I am in tomorrow (Friday) so he should be my working partner for the day.

If the weather is OK down here I might try to make some time at the end of the day to take him on a proper walk up to the field where we exercise all the dogs which is a nice safe enclosed area.

Simon
Fishguard, West Wales
simoninwales
simoninwales

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 23 2012, 22:11

good luck Simon , and remember if you don't then I will , I'm on holiday tomorrow as well >Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by simoninwales Thu Aug 23 2012, 22:17

Dave wrote:good luck Simon , and remember if you don't then I will , I'm on holiday tomorrow as well >Smile

Dave

Do you want me to pop a couple of them in a large Jiffy bag and post them up to you! Laughing

We are not short of Staffies down here, there are two more in the run next to Teddy, don't know why but we have had loads through the rescue.

Regards

Simon

Fishguard, West Wales
simoninwales
simoninwales

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 23 2012, 22:22

I'd take every single one if I had the room Simon, it's my dream to win a million and set up a Staffy sanctuary. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Thu Aug 23 2012, 23:11

Ode to a farty dog

Oh little Teddy,
With bum ever-ready,
You stink out the room,
With your toxic fumes,
Gas fills the air,
But we don't care,
No longer alone,
Here's your forever home.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by simoninwales Thu Aug 23 2012, 23:23

Working dog wrote:Ode to a farty dog

Oh little Teddy,
With bum ever-ready,
You stink out the room,
With your toxic fumes,
Gas fills the air,
But we don't care,
No longer alone,

Now that I like, Thanks Smile

Maybe we could bottle it and use it to solve the energy crisis. If I could run the car on it, now that would be great. I could sell it as paint stripper Big Grin

Simon

Fishguard, West Wales
simoninwales
simoninwales

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 23 2012, 23:24

Oh little Teddy,
With bum ever-ready,
You stink out the room,
With your toxic fumes,
Gas fills the air,
But we don't care,
No longer alone,

Love it , another talent you have Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Thu Aug 23 2012, 23:26

I deleted the first version. Laughing
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 23 2012, 23:27

made me laugh (sorry not hijacking the post) 1 night last week Tilly fell to sleep and Tommy fell to sleep behind her with his nose planted right up her bum and the pair of them were letting gross stinkers off all night. The only thing I can think is that in Staffy land then farts are like perfume is to us

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 08:30

Well Teddy is one very handsome boy Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck

Now stop waffling and go bring that gawgus boy home Big Grin

But a word of warning Staffords are like a box of chocolates ..... ones never enough whistling Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 08:52

Denise wrote:Well Teddy is one very handsome boy Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck

But a word of warning Staffords are like a box of chocolates ..... ones never enough whistling Laughing

I can vouch for that Denise , you just did a typoical woman thing and went a little over the top Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Aug 24 2012, 10:13

Oh little Teddy,
With bum ever-ready,
You stink out the room,
With your toxic fumes,
Gas fills the air,
But we don't care,
No longer alone,

Thats brilliant, very descriptive I love it Love Struck
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Aug 24 2012, 11:05

She's right you know Simon! I started off with one, now we've got 4 staffords and I've still got my heart set on a boy...
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Aug 24 2012, 11:15

They are addictive aren't they, I would love to have another but it's impossible right now. Need to move first into somewhere with a bigger garden day dreaming
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by simoninwales Fri Aug 24 2012, 20:23

Update

I have not seen him for 2 days but I talked to my friends wife on the phone this morning and she is all in favour of Teddy coming to live with me.

Had a quick chat to his regular walker as well this morning when she came to drop him off with us. Now I trust this lady 100% as she is very good with dog behaviour and reading dog body language and a few other reasons which is a whole other story which would have many of you Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Anyway we don't 100% know his full history but it seems he may have been used/abused in dog baiting and being in the rescue is stressing him out so he needs out soon. I asked her what he was like off lead and she said " go ahead, try it" in the confines of the field but make sure there is nothing else around or any of our cats which although they are bomb proof and totally dog savy could come to some harm.

So, spent the first couple of hours this morning teaching him the finer points of packing parcels. Ripping up sheets of tissue paper seems to be a favourite game!

Took him out at lunchtime and let him off the lead in the field. Recall back to me is very good and he had a mad 5 minutes running free

Dilemma/I need to make a decision(Nothing Bad) Teddy_run

Got him a chair to sit on and he has spent the whole afternoon sitting next to me learning how to update a website.

Dilemma/I need to make a decision(Nothing Bad) Teddy_chair

It broke my heart having to take him back to the runs and leave him but hopefully it is not for much longer.

Dilemma/I need to make a decision(Nothing Bad) Teddy_lookup

Regards

Simon

Fishguard, West Wales

simoninwales
simoninwales

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Aug 24 2012, 20:32

He is very handsome isn't he. Pleased to hear the recall is going well and the paper shredding too Laughing
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by simoninwales Sat Aug 25 2012, 00:38

Denise wrote:Well Teddy is one very handsome boy Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck

Tis done Denise

More or less 100% he will be my dog.

I guess I am in a position a lot of you would kill for. If i get this mad urge to be with canine company then my friends wife's rescue always has a selection and then there are the two house dogs, both boys and both border collies. I adore these two and I have a very special relationship with one of them that I value above almost everything, maybe one day I will tell the story on here. They are always up for a walk and can go on much longer than I can.

I think Teddy will be OK, he seems to have learnt some basic skills at some time in his past so sit, recall and walking well on a lead are all there and may just need some reinforcement. He seems eager to learn so who knows. He has yet to shock or scare me although I am sure this is going to happen as he has not had the best of starts in life. I am lucky, I have people around me that I know will step in and help me if problems arise.

One thing is for sure, this little dog is going to have a better life from this point forwards.

Regards

Simon

Fishguard, West Wales
simoninwales
simoninwales

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by simoninwales Sat Aug 25 2012, 01:23

Nosipho wrote:She's right you know Simon! I started off with one, now we've got 4 staffords and I've still got my heart set on a boy...

We can fix that for you Big Grin We are overrun with staffies down here in this part of Wales. I don't know why but just about everything that has come through the rescue this year has been a Staffie. One even came in and spawned 5 more much to our suprise

Regards

Simon
simoninwales
simoninwales

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 25 2012, 18:30

I think Teddy had you at the first fart Big Grin. And I do believe you have been chosen. That makes you special and you will never be the same again. Cant wait to read more of your adventures together

Back to top Go down

Post by simoninwales Sat Aug 25 2012, 18:53

*Lynne* wrote:I think Teddy had you at the first fart Big Grin. And I do believe you have been chosen. That makes you special and you will never be the same again. Cant wait to read more of your adventures together

Now that is almost exactly what my friends wife, who owns the rescue, said the other day to me on the phone.

" He chose you and not the other way round"

Anyway , there is no going back now because I bought him a lead and a doggy bed today. And a poop scooper for me (not for when I go toilet for when he does)

Regards

Simon

Pembrokeshire, West Wales
simoninwales
simoninwales

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 25 2012, 18:57

dance dance dance bounce bounce bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 25 2012, 18:57

so when does he come home

Back to top Go down

Post by simoninwales Sat Aug 25 2012, 20:25

Dave wrote:so when does he come home

Hopefully sometime in the next week, don't worry you will all know when as I shall be the proudest member on here Smile

I am dog proofing the house at the moment and buying him a few essentials.

Regards

Simon

Fishguard, West Wales

simoninwales
simoninwales

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Aug 25 2012, 20:37

I am very pleased to read this Simon. I'm sure you will be a very proud father.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down