micheled
Galadriel
janey
Kathy
lillytom
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Looking for a pup? Empty Looking for a pup?

Post by lillytom Sun Aug 19 2012, 19:44

Hi we are looking at buying a puppy, the breeder we have looked at is kc registered and has 5 generation papers for his dogs/pups, the pups we are looking at buying are £650 pounds is the dog likely to be a good one with regards to looks etc as we would like to show her? i have seen pics of the parents last litter and they are lovely looking dogs 2 of the litter are now show dogs, just needs some advice on looking for/buying a good staffy thanks

lillytom
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Looking for a pup? Empty Re: Looking for a pup?

Post by Kathy Sun Aug 19 2012, 20:26

Sorry I cannot help with this, Rocky is from a rescue centre as would any other dogs I have be too.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Aug 19 2012, 20:30

Moo is also a rescue Smile

Contact the Kennal Club and see what litters are available, we have a member called Denise who is a breeder, she could point you in the right direction
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sun Aug 19 2012, 20:57

Hi there,

Sorry but I can't really comment on choosing a show quality dog as I don't show but one of the most important things when choosing a pup IMO is that the dam and sire have been DNA tested for L2HGA, HC and had the eye screening (PHPV, PPSC), any responsible breeder will have those tests done prior to mating.

I understand it's pretty hard to tell whether a pup will do in the show ring although I'd say going for one with plenty of champions in his/her line would increase your chances.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 21:26

do you have a link to the breeder ,are they on champdogs , where did you get contact from ?? £650 is ok a little higher than average but not silly money .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 21:37

You can get a rough idea by viewing the mum and dad but only time will tell as far as showing is concerned. If mum and dad have been health tested and have a good temperament, and you're happy with the breeder and there's a pup that takes your eye (and heart Smile ), go for it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Mon Aug 20 2012, 03:41

I would see if you can meet the mom and or dad, and make sure the pups are clear of the usual Staffy problems (cataracts, LGA). Really the health and temperament of your puppy will have a much bigger impact on your quality of life than anything else.

As others have said, it's hard to know if even a puppy of impeccable pedigree will turn out to be a good show dog...a funny bite, or tail, and maybe the show thing isn't meant to be. But as long you like how they look--and it sounds as if you like this breeder's dogs--they are still beautiful Smile
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Mon Aug 20 2012, 15:00

Who is the breeder? I think £650 is a bit steep to be honest... Unless it really is an amazingly bred pup.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20 2012, 16:15

Nosipho wrote:Who is the breeder? I think £650 is a bit steep to be honest... Unless it really is an amazingly bred pup.

Well to be honest I paid £550 for Tommy and more than happy with his lines and health etc , but I based my commets aon the fact that people are trying to turn out blues etc for 800 - 1K

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Mon Aug 20 2012, 16:33

Well most breeders of staffords have had a break for a couple of years, there haven't been nearly as many show-bred KC reg pups available. Even the bigger more well known kennels have been producing litters which are few and far between. And considering the economy at the moment I know people who have produced some fab litters out of top-quality parents and out of principal are not charging more than £550 a pup regardless of colour. But I guess if you have your heart set on the pup it's not extortionate just a little overpriced.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21 2012, 12:37

Steviec wrote:I was introduced to a breeder through a mutual friend who had purchased a staff a few years ago. i paid £600 for cassius, which isn't too bad considering he's blue. he's KC registered etc and i met his parents (who were stunning examples of staffs). as soon as i saw him i was having him, all the sleepless nights, yelling "no" and stopping him chewing everything is still worth it.

best friend for life! happy

A blue should not cost any more than a normal staffy. Blue is just a colour.

I paid £150 for lexi but she had a problem with her jaw, her siblings were £250 all KC reg and health. These prices are shocking me to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by stevi3 Tue Aug 21 2012, 13:50

You could go on the champdog website they have litters up or maybe email some of the registered breeders on there they might be able to help you regarding what to look for in buying a show worthy pup. I have seen the blue colour staffs for as much as 1k per pup which is alot of money, The only way to get these prices down is if people stop paying this ridiculous prices. Id say around 4/500 is a top price to pay for a kc pup regardless of its colour. I got my dog for 150 kc reg which was really cheap but as much as I love the blue colour staffs I would not pay the silly prices asked even if it had 20 champions on the papers. =}>-
stevi3
stevi3
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blaze
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21 2012, 15:45

The breeder should be able to advice you on which they feel would/could turn out a nice dog for showing. Does the breeder show? Also, could you post the Breeders Afix. I paid £500 for Kenny, atm that seems to be the going rate, but i have enquired about a pup from a very well know breeder and they are charging £800 !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue Aug 21 2012, 15:55

Gosh how much! I cant help out there, but you have some great advice above. Go for it, if its what you really want. Smile My Pixee is from the blue cross and a beauty too. Big Grin
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21 2012, 15:59

Im aware of a litter of pups in need of rescue, they are Kc. She (the mam) was handed into the PDSA as the breeder could'nt afford a C-Section angry . Would you be intrested. I would have taken a bitch, but there's only boys left, 2 i belive, 1 brindle and 1 red

Back to top Go down

Post by lillytom Fri Aug 24 2012, 09:34

kenny d wrote:Im aware of a litter of pups in need of rescue, they are Kc. She (the mam) was handed into the PDSA as the breeder could'nt afford a C-Section angry . Would you be intrested. I would have taken a bitch, but there's only boys left, 2 i belive, 1 brindle and 1 red

Hi we have now put a deposit down on a pup, she will be ready on the 3rd october, thank you for the help though Smile

lillytom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lillytom Fri Aug 24 2012, 09:51

Thank you everyone, we have found a puppy in staffordshire parents are pedigree kc reg and all health tested, shes coming from unverdadero pet supplies in staffordshire has anyone used or heard of them before? thanks

lillytom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Aug 24 2012, 11:30

Hadn't heard of them before but looks like they have some nice dogs. x
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffiesrus Fri Aug 24 2012, 11:48

My advice would have been take your time to pick the right dog if you intend on showing or even breeding her. When I bought my first Bull Terrier I spent ages learning about pedigrees, breeders, show winners and all things involved. Breeding any breed should be done to enhance the breed. I had good success with my Bullie and her son is a KC champion at this stage!!
The breeding process actually cost me money fun enough!!!
I think £650 sounds very expensive compared to the price of Staffords breed from good stock over here. Have you researched different lines relating to show winning dogs and talked to the owners of these lines? If you are spending that sort of money I would be doing alot of visiting and looking at different kennels.
Also remember that even the best bred dog can have a mouth fault when it grows a bit, this can not be determined when the dog is a pup.

Staffiesrus
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Looking for a pup? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 13:37

lillytom wrote:Thank you everyone, we have found a puppy in staffordshire parents are pedigree kc reg and all health tested, shes coming from unverdadero pet supplies in staffordshire has anyone used or heard of them before? thanks

Your buying a pup from a pet shop ???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 14:38

Denise wrote:
lillytom wrote:Thank you everyone, we have found a puppy in staffordshire parents are pedigree kc reg and all health tested, shes coming from unverdadero pet supplies in staffordshire has anyone used or heard of them before? thanks

Your buying a pup from a pet shop ???

The Kennel is Unverdadero Staffords , seems the pet supplies is there business , some Valglo lines and a few hits on shows , dog on the advert is a nice looking dog and well priced at £500 so maybe its a good buy

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/adverts/77951-show-quality-pups-strong-bully-burntwood.html#fulldescription

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 24 2012, 15:46

I dont want to s valglo line oo dear!! i bet there alot of close line breeding in that line then

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 24 2012, 15:47

I hate these website they full of back yard breeders

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 16:01

Generally a good breeder will sell a blue dog (from blue / black parents or black / black parents which are the only way to get them) and charge no more than the going rate for any of the other varieties, so never ever discount a blue pup as being "cheap" it could just mean that they are coming from the right kind of breeder.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffiesrus Fri Aug 24 2012, 16:03

Steve wrote:I hate these website they full of back yard breeders

In my experience the best of bred pups are never advertised, word of mouth I think.
If you want to buy a pup of show quality then best thing is to attend dog shows and get to know breeders etc.
My opinion.

Staffiesrus

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 16:10

tartan wrote:
Steve wrote:I hate these website they full of back yard breeders

In my experience the best of bred pups are never advertised, word of mouth I think.
If you want to buy a pup of show quality then best thing is to attend dog shows and get to know breeders etc.
My opinion.

Generally speaking I would tend to agree with you but everyone has to start somenwhere, I am extremely pleased with the quality of Tommy and I got him through the champdogs website, although my breeder had staffs for the last 20 years it was only their 2nd litter so not so well established and then they need a lift , it doesn't harm their potential showing capabilities. Though most good breeders will always say the most important facts are Health and Temperament , the showing ability would be a bonus
As long as people avoid all the gumtree ads and facebook ads etc as these are a definite no no , I can't really comment on Pets 4 homes but like anything in life it pays to do your research and be extremely cautious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 24 2012, 16:12

champion website is the only website i would use to find a dog...

pet4homes i just like gumtree

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 16:17

Steve wrote:champion website is the only website i would use to find a dog...

pet4homes i just like gumtree

Like I say Steve , I couldn't comment as I've not used it but I suppose all of these kind of sites are potentially bad.

I think you have to be a registered breeder with registered dogs to be on champdogs is that correct ?? I seem to remember Andy (my breeder) telling me how he had to fill in various things along the way to verify the dogs registration etc as part of the process of getting on to champdogs.
Though as myself and yourself know from when I was looking around and other times there are still some bad lines from breeders on this site through close linebreeding etc (remember the KC Staffy that looked like a bulldog Sad )

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 24 2012, 16:21

i was looking on that pet4homes and there dog for like £100/£50 shouting back yard breeders to me, i bet most haven't been health tested

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Fri Aug 24 2012, 16:34

TBH, I wouldn't buy a pup that's advertised on free add pages. I googled unverdadero staffords and all that came up was pet supplies and puppies for sale on pets for homes or whatever it is and similar sites.

What are the dam and sire's KC names? Have they been health tested?

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 24 2012, 16:40

i try to find the dogs lines i cant find them anywhere i dont know

one of the dog is call BLOSSOM ( UNVERDADERO BLOSSOM HILL ) i dont know i cant find it on http://www.stamtavler.com/

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Fri Aug 24 2012, 16:53

Just found UNVERDADERO BLOSSOM HILL on the KC mate select site so she is registered; it says her inbreeding coefficient is 9.3 (breed average 6.7) and no health tests Sad

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 16:55

Sad Not sounding good for the pup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 17:09

Galadriel wrote:TBH, I wouldn't buy a pup that's advertised on free add pages. I googled unverdadero staffords and all that came up was pet supplies and puppies for sale on pets for homes or whatever it is and similar sites.

What are the dam and sire's KC names? Have they been health tested?

Yeh I did the same thing and got the same results , only thing it helped me with was to find the Unverdadero Staffords instead of the pet supplies link.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 17:13

Just found this link to their website , don't know if anyone has seen it already ??

http://www.dazdon.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 24 2012, 17:16

where Denise gone to? Smile we need her

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 24 2012, 17:37

Galadriel wrote:Just found UNVERDADERO BLOSSOM HILL on the KC mate select site so she is registered; it says her inbreeding coefficient is 9.3 (breed average 6.7) and no health tests Sad

what the link?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 24 2012, 17:43

i just looks on here i still cant find any information about this dog

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/mateselect/test/Default.aspx

i dont know

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Fri Aug 24 2012, 17:50

Here - http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/mateselect/inbreed/Default.aspx?breed=3080

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 24 2012, 17:51

oo what a useful link

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/mateselect/inbreed/Default.aspx?breed=3080

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Fri Aug 24 2012, 18:12

Steve wrote:oo what a useful link

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/mateselect/inbreed/Default.aspx?breed=3080

thumbs up

I don't think it's always 100% accurate due to imported dogs or something so it's always good to manually check but it's a pretty good resource Smile

Last edited by Galadriel on Fri Aug 24 2012, 18:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missed a word!)

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 18:38

how is the % calculated

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Fri Aug 24 2012, 19:34

Dave wrote:how is the % calculated

It just says the following on the mate select site:

"About this calculation

The pedigree data used to calculate this result extended back as far as 19 generations with the first 9 generations being fully complete.

The Mate Select computations are based upon data compiled from pedigree records and data submitted from breeders. As such all information and/or data on the site is provided on an 'as is' basis. Every effort has been made to report information accurately, but the Kennel Club assumes no responsibility for the content or the use or interpretation of the information published.

What does this value mean?
•Inbreeding is defined as the mating of related individuals, whether they are closely related or more distantly related. The inbreeding coefficient of an individual is the probability that two copies of the same gene have been inherited from a common founder, that is an ancestor shared by both parents. The lower the inbreeding coefficient, the lower the probability (risk) that this will happen.

An inbreeding coefficient of 12.5% means that there is a 1 in 8 chance that a dog will inherit the same version of gene from the same dog that appears in both the sire’s and dam’s pedigree. The puppies born to a mother/son, father/daughter or brother/sister mating (which the Kennel Club will no longer accept for registration), would be at least 25%. The inbreeding coefficient of puppies born from a grandfather/granddaughter mating would be at least 12.5%"

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffiesrus Fri Aug 24 2012, 19:45

so nearly 10% is very high!! Has the member bought this pup? Research, research, research!!!!!

Staffiesrus

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 24 2012, 19:47

I just search a dog the owner who used to be member on here 24% Surprised how bad is that!!

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 24 2012, 19:53

i just been on the champion dog website the first 2 i have search was 15% and 23.1% I dont want to s

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Fri Aug 24 2012, 19:58

Yes, there's a fairly local breeder to me that's well known and the dogs they produce are always around the 15-20% mark! Surprised

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 24 2012, 19:59

wow what a great litter i would pay £800 for one of these pups

sire is only 0.4% and the bitch is 0.5% i don't think you could get better

http://www.champdogs.co.uk/litter/25613

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 21:20

I think its fair to say though from what I have seen on here Inbreeding was once the done thing so as you go back the higher it gets

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 24 2012, 22:21

we not talking about the past here..... keep it in family is just wrong and some breeders are still doing it

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum