Not eating

4 posters

Go down

Not eating Empty Not eating

Post by Rudyblue Sun Aug 19 2012, 12:58

For the last 4 days den has went totally of his food.he's on chappy wet with ped mixer,he's been on this for about 5 month now after trying most other dry foods which either made him sick or he didn't eat.he was doing well on this but now he just won't eat it he's had about a quarter of a tin a day since friday and he's starting to look thin now.people say leave it and he will eventually eat it but how long do you perservear?do I chop and change his food or just wait and hope his appetite returns?I know there's nothing wrong with him as he greeds when we eat and he only had a check up last week when he had his booster but he just turns his nose up at his food now like he's been poisoned.I've picked it up after 10 mins etc but nowt works.there's a couple of bitches in heat and it's hot could this be a reason he's of his food?Im tempted to just go and buy a different brand but with his sensitive stomach I'd prefer he stayed on this.

Rudyblue
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Denzil
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Not eating Empty Re: Not eating

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 13:15

Chappie or pedigre is not a very good dog food, esp if you think they have a sensitive stomach.

Fish 4 Dogs has been getting raving reviews lately, dogs seem to love it. Its a little expensive but if your dog is not eating and has a sensitive stomach its worth a try

also a vet trip os needed, if you go for a check up and booster with a "healthy" dog the vet won't specifically look for anything. if you go with symptoms then they know to look at something, if you know what i mean.

In my opinion its gone on long enough and you need to start getting something in him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Aug 19 2012, 13:24

Agree with Hayley above, check by vet may well be needed.

Rocky has also been off his food since it has been very hot and humid the last couple of days. I have been giving his food ealy in the morning in half amounts then see if he will eat any more which he has. He is then fed later on in the evening when a little cooler.

Hope you can get it sorted out.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudyblue Sun Aug 19 2012, 13:31

The vets are aware of his sensitive stomach and it was them who told me to put him on chappy.I had him weighed last week 19.75 kg before that he was 20kg about 3 month ago.he is lean but muscular as he does a lot of running when he's out.he's tried most well known brands which he didn't like or didn't agree with him.he's had fresh everyday but to no avail.I'm going down pets at home this afternoon to look at what they've got.I've heard of fish for dogs so I'll look into that aswell.wednesday he was at vets and I mentioned he had been fussy the past week and she checked his stomach etc and says he's fine.he had been eating as normal until last week but the worse has been since Friday.she says not to worry about that little bit of weight he lost as he's looking more muscular.

Last edited by Rudyblue on Sun Aug 19 2012, 13:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding something)

Rudyblue

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaq Sun Aug 19 2012, 15:28

Lola has been fussy since the weather got hot again and I did worry about her not eating enough so it could be partly that. She had a very sensitive tum from the day I got her and quite probably before -some rescue centres put it down to stress or don't mention it if they've been short stay, and the vet prescribed Royal Canin Sensitivity Control dry which has been a godsend. Kathys' approach to feeding at cooler times (and possibly when post walk excitement has worn off) has worked this last few hot days with Lola.
Jaq
Jaq
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 4 and a half
Dog Gender(s) : Total Girlie
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudyblue Sun Aug 19 2012, 15:54

Thanks guys,I think it could well be the weather.I've been to pets at home and spoke to an assistant who had just been on a dog nutrition course and he recommended Arden grange which they are about to sell,it wasn't on the shelves yet but the manager let me buy it they were very helpful.I've put it down and he's picked at it more than he has with his chappy lately so I'm going to try and wean him onto this

Rudyblue

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 16:47

Yes thats a much better brand. chappy is full of rubbish, dunno why a vet would ever reccommend that

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Sun Aug 19 2012, 19:12

Bruno has been off his food lately, we put it down to the weather and just kept putting down, he would eat a little bit then wander off, he would eat it if you chucked it for him to catch but i didn't want to get to that stage, but we got down to the last few feeds of this bag, when and brought him a different flavour and oh my god he is eating normally again ,guess he was trying to say i am fed with lamb and rice jame wellbeloved heehee so now he is on the fish and rice flavour and at the moment it is a winner.
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down