What age to get your dog neutered? and do you think you should or leave them

+3
archielaws
dex123
janey
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What age to get your dog neutered? and do you think you should or leave them  Empty Re: What age to get your dog neutered? and do you think you should or leave them

Post by janey Thu Aug 16 2012, 18:33

So many conflicting views, there too young atm (imo) so you have a few months to think about it anyway. Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

What age to get your dog neutered? and do you think you should or leave them  Empty Re: What age to get your dog neutered? and do you think you should or leave them

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16 2012, 18:34

I don't neuter at all.

However it's a very personal thing, I would say if you do decide you want him done, please think about waiting until he is 18 months to 2 years and full mature first

Also for the majority of dogs it will have no effect on behaviour and how calm they are

Back to top Go down

Post by dex123 Thu Aug 16 2012, 18:38

thats what i am thinking now ella i was telling the vet how he is good when walking on lead and sees other dogs hes fine but when we are waitin to be seen he tried jumping towards over dogs and barking ect and they said that would help along with dog training classes so in the heat of the moment i said yes to it and his appointment is in 2 weeks i want to cancel it would that be allowed it is with the rspca and i put a ten pound down before the op thanks for replying janey and ella
dex123
dex123
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : rocky and patch
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16 2012, 18:46

They cannot force you to go through with it, I'd cancel and if they refuse just don't turn up!

Back to top Go down

Post by dex123 Thu Aug 16 2012, 18:49

ok thanks for the advice i will do that tommorow thanks !!
dex123
dex123

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Aug 16 2012, 18:57

Yes he is too young and thats coming from me! Mine (girls) where done at 6mnths then 9mnths and it has had no ill effects.

Think about it first and don't feel pressured, although you will have prob lost your deposit Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16 2012, 19:01

Don't let anybody bully you into neutering. Its your decision, and you need to read up about the pros & cons before deciding. I don't neuter but if you want to go Dow that route please wait until your dogs are mature.

Back to top Go down

Post by archielaws Thu Aug 16 2012, 19:01

hi there personally i wont be neutering my dog but i plan on breeding from him in future. do you plan on breeding from rocky? is he KC reg? if you answer no to these questions i would consider getting him done, but not till he is a lot older. there are all to many of these dogs in rescue centers up and down the country and the main reason is irresponsible breeding. its up to you of course
archielaws
archielaws

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : archie
Dog(s) Ages : march 2011
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16 2012, 19:02

Don't let anybody bully you into neutering. Its your decision, and you need to read up about the pros & cons before deciding. I don't neuter but if you want to go down that route please wait until your dogs are mature.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16 2012, 19:10

My bitch was always a little grumpy with my other bitch and always dog agro, so when she was 3 i had her spayed (but my vets are farmers so although they know their stuff they also know about animals and behaviour, so told me that realistically it might not have any ounce of difference for her behaviour)

it made not one slight bit of difference, in fact the worst fight she ever had with my other bitch was after she was spayed (a good few years after it so wasn't just hormones)

the only difference that i noticed was she calmed around my dog and wouldn't stand for him anymore (he was neutered)

Back to top Go down

Post by dex123 Thu Aug 16 2012, 19:13

thanks for all the advice and to your question archie no he isnt kc registerd and i dont think i would breed him at all i think im just goin to listen to all of you and cancel and wait till hes more mature and see what hes like before i consider it thanks
dex123
dex123

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by archielaws Thu Aug 16 2012, 19:18

if he aint KC then you really shouldnt breed from him. not to say hes not a great dog and great pet, he undoubtaby will be. totally up to you but i'd say give him a couple of year then have him done if youre going to. saves any unwanted pups. ps i dont belive it calms them down.
archielaws
archielaws

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dex123 Thu Aug 16 2012, 19:20

thanks archie youve been a big help thats the main reason i said yes to it they said it would calm him down and he is a lovely dog but i would never breed him with anyones bitch but when he is mature ill deffinatly look into doin it
dex123
dex123

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16 2012, 19:26

My harv isn't kc reg but i won't neuter him nor will he be breed from, BUT there are more health benefits to keeping him entire then neutering.

So just because you don't plan on breeding or have a kc dog doesn't mean you should neuter!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Aug 16 2012, 19:37

ella wrote: BUT there are more health benefits to keeping him entire then neutering.

There are many arguements for and against, both as valid as each other, it has to be a personal choice and I think Dex gets that Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by archielaws Thu Aug 16 2012, 20:16

sorry mate didnt mean to offend, didnt really know there was many health risks involved.
archielaws
archielaws

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16 2012, 20:33

janey wrote:

ella wrote: BUT there are more health benefits to keeping him entire then neutering.

There are many arguements for and against, both as valid as each other, it has to be a personal choice and I think Dex gets that Smile

Oh i don't dispute that but in all my research i've found many more benefits health wise in keeping dogs and bitches entire Smile tis all!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudyblue Thu Aug 16 2012, 21:28

I think the vets always push for neutering and it was just the other day they had me thinking about it when den went for his booster,I posted about hormone implants which is another option,which I know nowt about by btw other than like caryll says they wear off after a few month so that could be something you could look into but I won't be neutering

Rudyblue

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Denzil
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Thu Aug 16 2012, 21:46

I am not an expert, but there's nothing urgent about making your decision. Take some time and read more, talk to your vet about pros and cons, from my understanding it is a balance in terms of their health and there are knowledgeable people on both sides (though our breeder likes them intact for at least a year, even if you aren't showing or breeding).
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by dex123 Fri Aug 17 2012, 15:43

just found this on the rspca website i have not rung them to tell them i dont want to go threw with the neutrin yet but can they really tell u to have it done or not use the vets there again i wish i never mentioned it to them now as it was me that asked about it

Important client notice

A new client seeking to register will be allowed to do so, provided they meet the eligibility criteria and their animal will be treated for the condition presented. However, if the animal has not been neutered it will be a requirement that the animal is subsequently neutered if the client wishes to use the welfare clinic facility again.

Existing clients who have animals that have not been neutered will be seen for the next appointment they make and the condition presented will be dealt with. After that if they wish to continue using the welfare clinic the animal must be neutered.

If the clinic veterinary surgeons make a decision that an animal is too old or unwell to be neutered then the requirement will be set aside for that animal only.

No animal needing emergency treatment will ever be turned away.
dex123
dex123

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 16:02

They can set any conditions they choose to. Sad But to me that's blackmail.

Back to top Go down

Post by dex123 Fri Aug 17 2012, 16:05

i no what you mean it was me that asked about getting it done theynever mensioned it now i dont want it to be done yet i feel scared to ring up and tell them no i did say i would ring back about it but they pushed me into makin the appointment there and then Sad
dex123
dex123

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 16:10

Personally a vets like that would have me running a mile. They are a business, they can't tell you what to do you are the paying customer. I would find a better vets, they can't blackmail like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 16:14

There is no way i'd be taking the boys there, that is definitely blackmail! I'd just not turn up if you aren't happy about ringing

Back to top Go down

Post by dex123 Fri Aug 17 2012, 16:20

if i didnt turn up they would just kick me off right ? so i would have to find another vets it only came about because rocky isnt very socalised at the moment i havent had him long i walk him everyday and sometimes he barks at other dogs sometimes he dont but when we are at the vets waiting to be seen he goes mad they said to take him to dog trainin to socalise with other dogs and maybe try a muzzle for abit i was up for gettin him done but really dont want to now he is not aggresive with any of my family or nephews who are 4 and 5 and they basicly sit on his back and try ride him like a horse Laughing
dex123
dex123

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 16:35

i used to ride my labrador haha he will be fine, just lots of praise and training. stuff that snobby vet

Back to top Go down

Post by dex123 Fri Aug 17 2012, 16:43

lol haha thanks for the replys hayley and everyone else much appreciated
dex123
dex123

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Aug 17 2012, 19:42

I could be off the mark but I am guessing as the vets is RSPCA you have help with the costs, being RSPCA they have limited funding and the vets itself doesn't get extra funding, hope that makes sense, so by aiding people to get there dogs nuetered helps out the charity as there are far too many dogs especially staffs in rescues.

I by no means agree having a dog done at x weeks but guys, stop slating an organisation that is struggling to help our breed.

Whatever you think about neutering, if it helps the problem it is a good thing, and there are arguements for and against before you go down that route.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by archielaws Fri Aug 17 2012, 20:10

jesus, just been reading your post about the RSPCA website. sounds like there forcing you you to have him done! something which is up to you? very strange that.
archielaws
archielaws

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Aug 17 2012, 20:14

The RSPCA, as any other charity will encourage neutering!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 21:34

I absolutely hate the RSPCA janey and will have nothing to do with them, nor do i have anything good to say about them

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 17 2012, 21:45

ooo this always a touchy subject..... Laughing

it's up to you and no body else...

if you are a Responsible Owners and he wont get out wait till he about 2/3 to get him done if not get him done now Smile

Last edited by Steve on Fri Aug 17 2012, 22:22; edited 2 times in total

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Aug 17 2012, 21:48

If you are accepting help, ie from a charity by having your dog neutered at a lower cost, then you have to accept they will promote nuetering, as the less dogs in rescues will release more money in helping the existing dogs. Its not me pushing nuetering at all, but watever you think, the RSPCA helps a lot of animals.

I always assumed Chance was a rescue so I am suprised he is still intact, I am no expert, just curious.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 21:51

Sad Our next door neighbour has just got a springer spaniel pup, they visited 2 rescues , 1st one 95% staff / staffx, 2nd one 75%. That is a good argument for neutering . I don't think we will be doing Tommy though , but I do believe its important that females are neutered

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 22:39

janey wrote:
If you are accepting help, ie from a charity by having your dog neutered at a lower cost, then you have to accept they will promote nuetering, as the less dogs in rescues will release more money in helping the existing dogs. Its not me pushing nuetering at all, but watever you think, the RSPCA helps a lot of animals.

I always assumed Chance was a rescue so I am suprised he is still intact, I am no expert, just curious.

Chance is a rescue and he is neutered Smile he isn't from the RSPCA though, he wouldn't be IF it was my choice but whats done is done.

I have no problem with the RSPCA promoting neutering thats not my issue, my issue is how they promote it, using threats and blackmail. It's happened many times before and they will carry on making money for themselves Rolling Eyes

All i can say is i will never help them personally

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Aug 17 2012, 22:46

Ok Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 22:57

The USPCA is our branch of the RSPCA and they are rubbish. They have closed most of their branches and just tell you to take your dog to the pound of have it put down, you are not allowed to call about an animal without leaving your full name and address so you can be called to court and pretty much only do seizures that they can fobb off onto other charities like large scale horse seizures and cattle etc, then take all the credit. You can NEVER get a hold of them and they never call you back. All in all we are alone and rely on private charities.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 17 2012, 23:03

uspca??

rspca is world wide!! are you talking about pdsa they normaly tell you to put your animals down

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Aug 17 2012, 23:06

Stick my neck out here, I have said it before but, if you can not afford a dog you shouldn't have one, if you rely on charities to aid in ops and care in general then you should back the charity, I have no knowledge about horses but if you can't afford private vet care you accept the aided care you get!

Its a charity!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 23:15

Steve wrote:uspca??

rspca is world wide!! are you talking about pdsa they normaly tell you to put your animals down

no, its the rspca only called ulster society etc etc. same group

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 23:17

janey wrote:
Stick my neck out here, I have said it before but, if you can not afford a dog you shouldn't have one, if you rely on charities to aid in ops and care in general then you should back the charity, I have no knowledge about horses but if you can't afford private vet care you accept the aided care you get!

Its a charity!

uspca dont offer any aid to anyone, the only people who do that are dogs trust. nowhere helps with horses, they are expensive so i wouldnt think anyone would. i never actually said or implied that i took aid for my animals so dont know why you got a little hot

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 17 2012, 23:21

sometime you need help i had a huge problem with my sam with his back leg pay100's at my normal vets because he was more of a GP then a specialist he didn't know what was wrong with him after a year with 2 x-rays and minor op he just didn't know why my was screaming when he ran a few metes, he told me to get in touch with the pdsa or go private i phoned them up they told me if i cant go private then i should put him down Surprised i could do that.... i wouldn't do that to any of my best friends so i went priate paid over 2,000 to get it fixed i had to goto the leading leg specialist in the hole of the uk becasue i spend so much at my vet he said he woulkd cover some of the cost....

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 17 2012, 23:25

Hayley wrote:
janey wrote:

Its a charity!

uspca dont offer any aid to anyone, the only people who do that are dogs trust. nowhere helps with horses, they are expensive so i wouldnt think anyone would. i never actually said or implied that i took aid for my animals so dont know why you got a little hot

why has it got u in forward of it? thinking it may be differnet to the rspca, you get rspca in usa, australia , new zealand , canada and so on

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 23:27

yes i agree steve. you can have enough money to pay for insurance food and vaccs for a dog every month but im sure if everyone had to have 10 grand in the bank to have a dog then im afraid only paris hilton would have one and staffies wouldnt exist anymore, only chihuahuas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 23:28

steve, cause its in ulster lol its like the scottish rspca, its called the sspca and the american one is ASPCA, they are not all called RSPCA they have their own names on the front

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Aug 17 2012, 23:34

Kinda of topic now anyway
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 17 2012, 23:47

Hayley wrote:steve, cause its in ulster lol its like the scottish rspca, its called the sspca and the american one is ASPCA, they are not all called RSPCA they have their own names on the front

thinking mmmm i didn;t understand that so why in australia it's still rspca? have scotland and north ireland become a republic??

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by x0gawjus0x Sat Aug 18 2012, 07:49

i dont know whether we're going to get vinnie done, i know this is a weird question but do they hump more if they dont ? Vinnie has never done it yet hes 14 weeks now, but our neighbours staffy pup does it all the time (well tries LOL) and hes 10 weeks?

If we do get him done im sure it wont be for atleast a year yet.
x0gawjus0x
x0gawjus0x
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 10/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18 2012, 11:17

I got Blue castrated when he was about 13months old. Looking back now I would make the same choice again. It is different for everyone as no 2 dogs are the same. Blue was having allot of agression and dominance issues when I first got him. Having him castrated 100% helped calm him down. But I have had over 10 dogs and Blue is the first to have got done. We never had any problems with any of the dogs that weren't castrated

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next