12 week old pup (female) growling at young children

2 posters

Go down

12 week old pup (female) growling at young children Empty 12 week old pup (female) growling at young children

Post by Eddie01 Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:20

We have a 12 week old puppy who is showing aggressive signs towards our young children. Pup has been round the children since she was two weeks old so she is used to them. We have constantly told the kids not to go down and stick their faces into her when she is sleeping and try to pick her up. The five year old has had to be rained in as she was always trying to cuddle her and a pup still needs peace and quiet. She also growls at the seven year old even though she is much less touchy and has a quieter demenour towards the pup. Are there any ideas out there on what we can try. This week I have got quite angry with the pup as her behaviour has increased and I am starting to feel worried. I have locked her away for an hour in her run and ignored her after she was sternly repremanded. Any proven ideas out there?

Eddie01
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Shar, Eddie, Bella and Rosey
Dog(s) Ages : 16, 17, 3, 1
Dog Gender(s) : Dog and Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

12 week old pup (female) growling at young children Empty Re: 12 week old pup (female) growling at young children

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:28

Is this behaviour only happening when the kids are annoying the pup or at random times? Does she growl at you? What tarining are you doing with her and how much involved are the children?

At this age it is unlikely to be aggression, more likely just pushing their luck and seeing what reaction certain behaviours get. You say you have had the pup from 2 weeks old, can i ask why?

Back to top Go down

12 week old pup (female) growling at young children Empty Re: 12 week old pup (female) growling at young children

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:50

Firstly which breeder allowed you to take home a 2 week old puppy Surprised
Or did you breed the pup yourself so accounting for you saying the kids have been around the pup since it was 2wks old ?

It sounds like your little hooligan is testing the waters, and seeing how far he can push you and see what he can get away with, they all do this to some extent as pups.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:54

I would advise to only let the children interact with the pup when you can supervise them. They should also leave the pup be when she is eating or sleeping.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:06

I agree with jstaff. Children should always be supervised with any dog, but especially pups.

Is it just the children she's funny with?

P.S. What happened to the little pup with a damaged foot?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:23

Its all standard puppy behaviour seeing how far thay can push it
children need to be trained as well as pups and must understand pups need alone time when eating and sleeping .
looking at your other post you made i take it you breed the pup yourself if so maybe you should have done a little more resurse for what you were getting your self into .
and maybe you should have left it well alone if you had bad experance the first time round

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:33

Agree they do try and push their luck! The little monkeys! And if you make an issue of it and draw attention to the behaviour they think it's a good way to get their own way!

Children should always be supervised, as much for the pups protection as theirs and if you hear her growling she should be told off! But dont get angry because that just makes it worse. Tell her off or remove her and just forget about it till the next time, but don't give it (the behaviour) anymore attention than necessary. She'll soon learn that it gets her no where.

I'm interested to know what she is like with the kids any other time? Is she playful or keeps her distance? If the latter then she may be fearful. But can't see it because like you said they've been there since the very beginning.
Rachb26
Rachb26
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 20:48

Tommy growls when I or my daughter pick him up on occasions and its normally followed by a tongue bashing , it's not aggression at all just him being a little grumpalump

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie01 Thu Aug 02 2012, 01:14

bigwazza wrote:Its all standard puppy behaviour seeing how far thay can push it
children need to be trained as well as pups and must understand pups need alone time when eating and sleeping .
looking at your other post you made i take it you breed the pup yourself if so maybe you should have done a little more resurse for what you were getting your self into .
and maybe you should have left it well alone if you had bad experance the first time round

Yes Wazza I breed this pup. I have been breeding for twenty five years and have over 38 years experience with the breed. My mother breed the SBT when I was growing up. This is my first litter since the kids were babies. It was a lot easier back then as the kids kept away. The problem mainly lies with the children, and yes they are always supervised when round the dogs. When I am too busy to supervise the dogs they are either in their run or outside having doggie time.

Yes this bitch is the one who has the injuried paw.

Regards Eddie

Eddie01

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Shar, Eddie, Bella and Rosey
Dog(s) Ages : 16, 17, 3, 1
Dog Gender(s) : Dog and Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down