8 week old blue brindle toilet training help!!!!

+10
Smudgewudge41
RubyRoo
debtom
donch03
janey
dodge
Rachb26
Steve
Kathy
Aarron
14 posters

Go down

Sad 8 week old blue brindle toilet training help!!!!

Post by Aarron Tue Jul 31 2012, 19:46

Hi all i have a 8 week old little staffy called bear and we only had him 3 days but training him to go for a wee on news paper is impossable. he just wees where he stands. We managed to get him pooing outside and having a wee but he seems to just let go when ever he pleases in the house when he needs a wee. We let him out every hour for 20 minutes and he will do his stuff outside then 10-15 mins later he will pee in the house. I give him treats and praise him when he goes outside but how can i get him to go on the newspaper thru the night? I wake up about 3 to let him out in the nyt but it doesnt seem to help i let him out befour we go bed aswel and wake up erly but he cant seem to learn to go on the paper? any sugestions?

Aarron
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bear
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: 8 week old blue brindle toilet training help!!!!

Post by Kathy Tue Jul 31 2012, 19:47

Hi & brindle - 8 week old blue brindle toilet training help!!!! Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

brindle - 8 week old blue brindle toilet training help!!!! Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
brindle - 8 week old blue brindle toilet training help!!!! Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
brindle - 8 week old blue brindle toilet training help!!!! Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
brindle - 8 week old blue brindle toilet training help!!!! Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
brindle - 8 week old blue brindle toilet training help!!!! Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
brindle - 8 week old blue brindle toilet training help!!!! Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
brindle - 8 week old blue brindle toilet training help!!!! Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jul 31 2012, 19:51

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Try letting him out every half hour if possible and lots of praise when he does go. He is only 8 weeks old so still very young and not in control of everything yet.

Please try to be consistent, with perserverance you will get there.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Aarron Tue Jul 31 2012, 20:06

Ok thank you Smile. When he wees in the house i just give him a NO in a tone and sit with him outside till he finishes off his wee as i catch him just before he starts sometimes so i have time to take him to the door. Will that help him learn. Plus how can i get him to wee on the training pads though the night as he seems to just go anywere he wants?

Aarron

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Jul 31 2012, 20:09

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/toilettrainingyourstaffie.html

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Tue Jul 31 2012, 20:31

Don't worry he will pick it up! As one who has just gone through it, honestly at that age they can't hold their bladder that long and they just go whether they are outside or inside. The key is to make it more out than in and in a couple of weeks he'll be a pro Wink

Saffy is 12 weeks now and will ask to go out but even she sometimes has an accident by the back door if I can't get it open quick enough!

Also make sure you scrub the areas where he goes indoors well.
Rachb26
Rachb26
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31 2012, 20:36

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As Kathy says, persistence and patience are key. At 8 weeks old, he has no control over his bladder, everything is new and exciting and he simply can't control himself yet.

Are you crate training? If you are, for the first couple of weeks, divide his crate so that his bed is one side and there is paper on the other. Dogs don't like to mess in their beds so he should go on the paper.

If he isn't being crate trained, put some paper down right next to his bed, he will hopefully use that. As he gets more older and controls his bladder more, you can either move the paper slowly towards the back door or, as I did, take him out whenever you see him sniffing or circling. That is a clear sign that he needs to go.

Whatever you do, be persistent, praise him enormously when he does what you want, and if he has an accident indoors, and you don't actually catch him in the act, don't scold him, just clean it up. If you do catch him, a firm 'ah ah' and straight out into the garden.

It feels like he'll never get it, I know, mine was 6 and a half months old before he was fully house trained, but he WILL get there.

Good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by dodge Tue Jul 31 2012, 20:49

Hi & welcome thumbs up

Do you have him in a crate at night time and when your not at home?

I got my pup at 9 weeks, and he was just the same as yours toilet all over the place. I had a crate & placed a training pad just outside the crate. Everytime he went to go, i put him on the training pad and he soon learned. Night time i placed the pad inside the crate. After a few days i showed him outside the back door, and used to take him out there every half hour, and stay out there with him until he went, then praise n treat. He is 13 weeks now, and i still put a pad inside his crate at night time, or when i go out, which he uses just for wee. The thing he hasn`t learned yet is to let me know he wants to go when the back door is closed, he just goes on the floor near the door, which i can`t tell him off for.

Im not sure if putting a pad inside the crate is the right way to go, but it has worked for me and i don`t see any other option at night time or when im out.

They are very clever, and you will soon see progress every day, cleaning up poop is all part of the fun lol
dodge
dodge
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Ralphy
Dog(s) Ages : 19 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31 2012, 21:01

Aarron wrote:Ok thank you Smile. When he wees in the house i just give him a NO in a tone and sit with him outside till he finishes off his wee as i catch him just before he starts sometimes so i have time to take him to the door. Will that help him learn. Plus how can i get him to wee on the training pads though the night as he seems to just go anywere he wants?

Absolutely the wrong thing to do! He's a baby at 8 weeks. He has no real control over his bladder at the moment & if he needs to go, he will, it isn't his fault, he isn't being dirty or disobedient or lazy, he just can't help it!

As long as you take him into the garden every half hour or so & praise him to the skies when he goes for a wee or pee, and ignore any accidents in the house (just clean it up without a word) he'll get the message much quicker than scolding him. Overnight, it's damn near impossible for a pup to hold on. You could try getting up in the early hours (that's what I do) for the first couple of weeks & letting him out into the garden for a pee/poo.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jul 31 2012, 21:11

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo, can't add anything to the advice above.

Time and patient training Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Aarron Tue Jul 31 2012, 21:14

Thank you guys Smile and yes we make sure we clean it up well With a good cleaner as we dont want him smelling it still and knowing that its ok to wee in the house. Im sure he will be all good soon enuf Smile and again thank you ill be sure to keep u posted on how he is and how hes doing and what worked and ect Smile

Aarron

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aarron Tue Jul 31 2012, 21:17

And no we dont have him in a crate i put the pads at the door at nyt but its a hot and miss sometimes he goes on them and sometimes he doesnt but thank you for all your advise and ill be sure to follow it thank you Smile

Aarron

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31 2012, 21:29

You could try a dab of wee on the paper to attract himi to the spot. The pet store should also have a spray designed to do the same thing as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31 2012, 22:00

I honestly think crate training is great. When baby isn't in the crate as soon as you see him sniffing race outside with him. Also as soon as you see his peepers open after a nap take him out as little ones always need a wee or the other after a nap Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by donch03 Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:21

Like the others have said keep doing what your doing. We're lucky in that Bella prefers to poo outside, we just kept taking her out every half hour or so for wee's or whenever she played/slept/ate or drank and praised her loads when she wee'd outside. I always watch for signs she may be about to go like sniffing in circles tail up high and encourage her out. As she's got bigger her bladder control HAS got better so just be patient your pup is still a tiny baby x
donch03
donch03
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:38

Just to add about the cleaning thing, make sure you watch they don't step in their wee! Even a tiny bit can leave traces all over your house! Saffy is a devil for this! I have a couple of cheap flannels on rotation to give her paws a wipe. Might seem extreme but I don't think it hurt her.
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by donch03 Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:12

Rachb26 wrote:Just to add about the cleaning thing, make sure you watch they don't step in their wee! Even a tiny bit can leave traces all over your house! Saffy is a devil for this! I have a couple of cheap flannels on rotation to give her paws a wipe. Might seem extreme but I don't think it hurt her.

Thats a great idea! Bella hasn't had an accident in a while though so shouldn't need to do this now but wish I'd known before lol x
donch03
donch03

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:43

In first few weeks of having Caley, I was in the garden every 15 minutes, I thought it would never end and was really hard, but it does pya off, she is now 4 months and has been clean for the past month, only one accident...its true what everyone says just have to persevere and ignore any accidents indoors..good luck Smile
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
brindle - 8 week old blue brindle toilet training help!!!! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Aarron Wed Aug 01 2012, 15:16

Thank you for all your help guys hes starting to do realy well only had one little accident last night and he seems to be going to the door when he wants to go outside now so hes starting to learn but hes a lot better now Smile and yes we have to wipe his feet as he just runs through his wee lol bless him

Aarron

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyRoo Wed Aug 01 2012, 15:23

we put a cat bell on rubys collar when she was so tiny and learning so even if she was asleep in the living room we heard her start to stir and wake up and could whip her out into garden asap. she went out into garden way more often than once an hour though, usually around once every 15-20 mins, and used food treats as she finished peeing as she didnt really pick up on vocal praise until a few weeks later.
RubyRoo
RubyRoo
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : Born 26/2/12
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Smudgewudge41 Wed Aug 01 2012, 16:29

Hi and a big welcome from me and Louie Smile
Smudgewudge41
Smudgewudge41

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louie
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Wed Aug 01 2012, 20:17

Hi and welcome.

It gets much better in a few months!

One thing--be careful with pads in the crate at night or whenever Bear is unsupervised. Callie would try to eat them and since they expand with fluid (like a diaper) that would be dangerous...granted she eats anything, and Bear might not, but just saying...
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Aarron Wed Aug 01 2012, 21:49

Hi yes i found out that he tryed to eat the pads luckaly it was as soon as i put it down so i just put the newspaper over them and hes fine Smile

Aarron

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gina96 Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:41

Hope the toilet training is getting better! I am going through the same yet I am crate training. It really helps because he gets on a routine and gives him a nice little den to live in Smile Some days there are more accidents than others
Gina96
Gina96
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Anastasia Thu Aug 02 2012, 05:12

hey aarron. the trainer trained my puppy by picking up a "sample " of their pee or poo taking it where you want them to go for eg on the grass putting it down and then praising the dog highly. our pup picked it up within a day . hope this helps.

BTW your pup is at the right age to start learning and its best to do so now as it will be more difficult as your pup gets older. Nala was fully trained commands boundaries and all at 8 weeks old . Good luck !

Last edited by Anastasia on Thu Aug 02 2012, 05:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to write something)
Anastasia
Anastasia

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months

Back to top Go down

Post by Aarron Thu Aug 02 2012, 17:33

Wow how dis you manage to get nala all trained up that fast thats verry good. He knows some commands but not all of them

Aarron

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DutchTja Sun Aug 12 2012, 01:05

Hi did he pick it up already...?? so not... take the newspaper to you door where you let him out(always the same door) fore a while. It's gifts him the time to learn whits door he will need to go, to let you know when he needs to go. He'll learn to hold it up till the door. Also don't fill his water over the top. fill it fore every 3 hours, when is empty (and not to hot out side). Puppies don't have a break. after that 3 hours you will see that he will walk to the paper (then you need to take hem outside, take him outside even when he's pigging that's why you need to replace the paper next to the door. He need to take time to feel sand ore grass under his paws, paper is always dry and warm and save like where mom was. Papers are not like dirt ore grass that's tickles ore get is paws dirty or whet ) and when he gets enthusiast, when you get a visit's from you friends. ore when you play with him... let him out side... it's hard and take a lot of patience. Don't yell, it's make's him nursers. And then he will never go outside.. when he done just say good job or what you want. always treat him with you voice. trust me my boy did it almost fore a year. I was lost ... and did it my way ..the calm easy way, and sometimes he still will do it when he's gets real busy or chaos he will forget it and do it in the house..then I say no! outside with you, and he holds it and runs outside and go do it there.
My words always are boys are harder to learn and pick this up like this. i'ts sounds all crazy but trust me you need to take a way and that his way, good luck and let things know of it's done!
Greetings from the Dutch's
DutchTja
DutchTja

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Easy, Dude and Xyn
Dog(s) Ages : 4, and the other 2 are 2
Dog Gender(s) : 2 female , 1 male
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Anastasia Sun Aug 26 2012, 06:59

Hi Aaron sorry for the late reply . We had a professional trainer come in and work with her . She is very headstrong and we still train with her for about 40 min a day . It's worth it though . I would definitely suggest a trainer .
Anastasia
Anastasia

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down