An older, adopted staff - skin issue

3 posters

Go down

Angel An older, adopted staff - skin issue

Post by Kandn Sun Jul 29 2012, 09:37

Hey everyone,
I recently adopted Nike. Nike stole my heart the minute we locked eyes through the wire of her pen. Now she's curled up on my plush carpet floor in front of the heater sleep
I've completely fallen in love with her. There is no way I'd ever regret my choice to adopt her. Nike is an older dog, nine, and she seems to have had a bit of a hard run this far. I was told she was surrended by a family who had a whole bunch of kids and said they couldn't have her anymore. That's all I know. It seems she hasn't had the best care in the world, someone wouldn't give her the best care then give her away cause they didn't want her anymore.... At least that's what I think....
Anyway, Nike has a few health concerns I'm keen to get on top of. She was completely vet checked at the shelter and I was told she had the all clear. However there are a few things I'm concerned about.
Nike has some discoloration and redness on her paws, a little on her belly, and nose. All where white hair is! Sometimes I see her licking/scratching at it but she's easily distracted from it. I suspect it might be an allergy to something (grass??). What I think bothers her more is the irritation caused by her licking/scratching. So I want to try and sooth it. Anyone know anything suitable, available in Australia?
Before this becomes an essay I'll tackle that first. I'm a first time staffy (well, staffy cross) owner. I've had other breeds before but none with skin issues. Anything tips would be greatly appreciated.

-k help

Kandn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nike
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Angel Re: An older, adopted staff - skin issue

Post by Guest Sun Jul 29 2012, 09:45

First thing I would do is get her to your own vet for a check over that you are happy with , always good to have a second opinion.

Maybew if you could get a few photos of her put up then some of our members more experienced with issues like this can offer a few thoughts Smile but I would go with the vet option first

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 29 2012, 10:19

Sounds very much like an allergy to me. Did you change foods when you got her? Could also be from grass or a deteregent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jul 29 2012, 11:14

Please see the link below to our Allergy Advice Sticky, there is an Australian medication mentioned there that may be suitable, but please check with your own vet first before administering anything you have not tried before.

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19301-sticky-allergy-advice
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 29 2012, 11:34

It also sounds like an allergy to me too.
I think the best thing is to do what others have already suggested and make an appointment with a vet you like and can trust and mention it to them and see what they advise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Jul 29 2012, 13:32

Possible allergy.... Defo get a vet check but my bitch gets sore paws when she gets them wet, she will lick inbetwren her toes sometimes they will even bleed !

A smear of sudocrem does the trick, I usually apply it at night between her toes and by morning it's pretty much sorted.

What food does Nike have ?

She may benefit from supplements such as fish oils and vit e

Xx
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 29 2012, 13:35

In the meantime you could try smoothing a little sudocrem onto the sore parts, after wiping with a little boiled, salty water. It'll help to soothe the itchiness.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kandn Mon Jul 30 2012, 09:28

Thanks everyone. Obviously I'm going to take her to a vet ASAP, probably this weekend. It's not irritating her too much at the moment but I want to see her completely clear of course!

So, sudocrem hey? As in the nappy rash cream? I have some here. My only concern is her licking it off and getting an upset stomach or irritating the skin more if she licks too much. She's been pretty good, not licking today so might try it on one paw. Hopefully she won't like the taste. Don't want her getting hooked on the white stuff Wink

Kandn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nike
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 30 2012, 09:37

Yup Sudocreme as in nappy rash creme, the very same.

Just smear a little dab over the affected area, this gives the skin a covering and a chance to heal itself plus the creme is very good for clearing up the irritation.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down