pet passports...

5 posters

Go down

pet passports... Empty pet passports...

Post by asa-james Fri Jul 20 2012, 23:07

just need a few pointers on them, if anyone has got one

i'm planning a driving/camping trip to france next year, but i 100% want Lola with me. i know you need to have jabs and tests a certain amount of time beforehand, but does anyone know of the costs involved?

all i can find out so far is that it's going to cost £30 on the eurotunnel on the way back (free outbound) and the price of worming tablets for her to take in france before we return, other than that, i cant find much more money info

asa-james
asa-james
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

pet passports... Empty Re: pet passports...

Post by Kathy Fri Jul 20 2012, 23:11

The thread below should help, please read all the way down though including the last post from Caryll.:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t13095-pet-passport-french-dda-ammendment
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Fri Jul 20 2012, 23:19

Lola has no papers, plan goes down the drain Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad at wits end

never mind, just have to do a tour of the mainland UK Laughing
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jul 20 2012, 23:20

I'm still kinda looking into it. I would love to be able to take Moo over the seas. I'm not sure what I believe as there is a lot of conflicting views. Most poo poo the subject, but others argue it.

If you get any answers let me know, as I didn't and haven't been told its hard as long as you have a passport, and the relivent jabs x x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 21 2012, 00:43

You will need a pet passport. To get that you will need to have your dog microchipped, vaccinated against rabies, wormed and (I think) treated for ticks within a certain time of travelling (there and back).

A decent vet will be able to tell you exactly what's involved.

The awkward bit is the breed. The French don't want cross bred bull breeds going in or out of the country so, if challenged, you would have to prove that your dog is a stafford. The only prooof that they will officially accept is a KC registration document (not a pedigree!).

However, the chances of being challenged are very slim.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 21 2012, 00:47

Denise is probably the best person to speak to because she has exported pups to the EU.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 21 2012, 01:43

and also harlou if they come on as they travel al the time to france

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Tue Jul 24 2012, 10:51

I will be able to help on 11.08 ,we are taking Debo ( no papers ) to Poland,we gonna use Eurotunel. I spoke with one lady who owns dog the bordeaux ( which in France are cat 1 dogs if don't have pedigree ),she said she took the dog to France ,they didin't even look at the dog. I'll share my story when come back/
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 24 2012, 10:54

jola139 wrote:I will be able to help on 11.08 ,we are taking Debo ( no papers ) to Poland,we gonna use Eurotunel. I spoke with one lady who owns dog the bordeaux ( which in France are cat 1 dogs if don't have pedigree ),she said she took the dog to France ,they didin't even look at the dog. I'll share my story when come back/

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that most dogs won't even be looked at if they have a pet passport. BUT. They do make spot checks every so often, and what happens if yours is the one that gets checked?

I wouldn't be happy taking that chance, but that's just me. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Tue Jul 24 2012, 11:03

Well,that would be the end of holiday Crying or Very sad . I try to stay possitive, leaving him behind is a no no.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 24 2012, 11:06

jola139 wrote:Well,that would be the end of holiday Crying or Very sad . I try to stay possitive, leaving him behind is a no no.

No, I'm just saying what I would do. I know that they're rarely checked, but I'm a worrier! Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Tue Jul 24 2012, 11:10

I know what you're saying but the worst scenario they would turn us back,I'm taking the risk. I'm a worrier to but my OH is all possitive ( sometimes it drives me mad silly
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 24 2012, 11:14

jola139 wrote:I know what you're saying but the worst scenario they would turn us back,I'm taking the risk. I'm a worrier to but my OH is all possitive ( sometimes it drives me mad silly

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 24 2012, 13:19

Hi i have exported pups to France a few times, 3 went by ferry one via the eurostarr .
What was needed for a pup was it had to be microchipped .... so if not already done get this sorted.
Rabies vaccinated ... A young pup out of the nest ( so to speak ) just needs the one jab of rabies and can could leave 21 days later. With an adult a 2nd jab will be required plus a blood test to check the dogs antibodies.( but this may not be required now as changes have been made)
A pet passport which will be stamped to say rabies jab has been given plus the date.
My pups were wormed with drontal, plus frontlined so get these done.

No where on the pet passport did it state the pup was KC regstered, it just showed its breed.
2 of my pups left without their KC documents as the owners had filled them out and left them with me for me to send off for an export pedigree.
They passed the boarder with no problems.
The one that went via the euro starr did'nt even get its paper work or passport checked, their car was just waved though with the pup on the back seat.
For my pups it was a one way journey, yours will be coming back and its this part i have no knowledge off.
You could try ringing the French Embassy here or contact DEFA as either one should be able to tell you whats needed.

This is the check list from the eurostarr website
http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/pets/PET-travel-scheme-checklist-after-01-jan-2012/

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Aug 05 2012, 08:43

So ,we're enjoying our holidays in Poland. Debo is in heaven running in forest and swimming in lakes also enjoy saling Big Grin . About journey. We've booked eurotunnel tickets in advance,at the gates we did self check in,waited at car park for the final call,when they said that the train is ready we drove in to the train and that was it.. Now one didn't check ours passports. At the passport control they just wave us to go. Hope coming back is going to be the same.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05 2012, 08:53

You won't have any problem coming back, I think if I remember correctly with the tunnel it's actually the French customs you experience in the uk going out and vice versa. As long as all of his paperwork for passports, jabs etc is in order there is no requirement in the uk or problem with xbull breed dogs, so unless you had a problem in Germany or France on the way back you're clear. Anyway even if you did meet french customs on the way back and they had a problem they would then make you leave the country anyway and that is what you are doing Big Grin

I have made the tunnel a few times and always get checked in Folkestone on the way back because I've been day trip shopping but not concerned about this. On the way out I would say 50% they have checked and asked questions and 50% a straight glance and through so this is the bit I would be worried about. Only once had the car searched as I was carrying tools (had a works van at the time)

Pleased you're having a great time and found it to be worth the risk Big Grin Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sun Aug 05 2012, 09:32

I found out that you can take a ferry to Spain with your dog from Portsmouth/Plymouth Stb's are allowed in Spain, providing they have their pp.

Im not a lover of France so looking to take Saffy to Spain with us next year and I'd prefer not to take her by plane.

It is about the same price but longer journey- 24hrs!
Rachb26
Rachb26
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Aug 05 2012, 10:27

I took us 14hrs to get to Poland by car,last Wends. was 29 C ,Debo did great
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05 2012, 13:34

Rachb26 wrote:I found out that you can take a ferry to Spain with your dog from Portsmouth/Plymouth Stb's are allowed in Spain, providing they have their pp.

Im not a lover of France so looking to take Saffy to Spain with us next year and I'd prefer not to take her by plane.

It is about the same price but longer journey- 24hrs!

Are you sure about Spain being ok with SBT , could have sworn I read something on here about them not being welcome, but are we talking papered SBT or non papered SBT ( Sad here we go again) must say it's a fantastic idea for me as I'd love to do it next year with our 2 . I did think that the Portsmouth to Bilbao crossing was quite expensive though ?? seem to recall over 1000 when we checked a few years ago , which company have you looked for with the crossing.

Another really stupid question though as it's a 24 hour crossing , do they have doggie toilets or something ??? Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05 2012, 13:36

jola139 wrote:I took us 14hrs to get to Poland by car,last Wends. was 29 C ,Debo did great

Thats pretty good going , pretty much non stop ?? We just been to Cornwall and that was Tommy's first long car journey (7 hours with stops and traffic jams) and he was fantastic , just went to sleep most of the time Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05 2012, 14:23

Dave wrote:Are you sure about Spain being ok with SBT , could have sworn I read something on here about them not being welcome, but are we talking papered SBT or non papered SBT

Is this any help........
http://www.staffords.co.uk/kcliaison/spain/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sun Aug 05 2012, 14:41

Yes I just found that out somewhere else!! Arggghhh! This is turning into a nightmare! Saffy can go to France but it really isn't what we are looking for!

I will keep looking! Only thing I got atm is that the cruise liner Queen Mary 2nd will take pets on longer cruises through Europe! But I'm guessing it would mean £££££! And then there's no guarantee about SBT!

If not I'm gonna think about biting the bullet and travelling by plane OR catching the ferry and driving to Italy or somewhere and chancing my luck!

God why are all these countries so an*l Crying or Very sad
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05 2012, 16:10

Rachb26 wrote:Yes I just found that out somewhere else!! Arggghhh! This is turning into a nightmare! Saffy can go to France but it really isn't what we are looking for!

I will keep looking! Only thing I got atm is that the cruise liner Queen Mary 2nd will take pets on longer cruises through Europe! But I'm guessing it would mean £££££! And then there's no guarantee about SBT!

If not I'm gonna think about biting the bullet and travelling by plane OR catching the ferry and driving to Italy or somewhere and chancing my luck!

If the dog has to travel in the hold on a plane I would imagine it would be quite a stressful experience Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Aug 05 2012, 18:03

We had around 4-5 short stops 15-20min long and he sept most off the time
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Wed Aug 08 2012, 12:08

Dave wrote:
Rachb26 wrote:Yes I just found that out somewhere else!! Arggghhh! This is turning into a nightmare! Saffy can go to France but it really isn't what we are looking for!

If the dog has to travel in the hold on a plane I would imagine it would be quite a stressful experience Sad

Agreed! Still can't find anything tho. So we are gonna book a week or two in Weymouth instead! Lol. We always used to take our other dogs down that way as there's a few good dog friendly beaches.

But if I do spot anything I will let everybody know.
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Aug 12 2012, 09:20

And we're back. They only checked us on the way back in the UK. Checked microchip and passport and we were ready to go. On the way out they didin't check anything-maybe just luck or this is how it is. So not saying they won't check someone else. I'm happy we did that and Debo was an angel in the car but don't want to do it again. It's to much for him -15 hrs with 10-15min breaks.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 12 2012, 10:00

So glad it went well! It sounds as though that's pretty much standard doesn't it?

It must have been really tiring for all of you, but did you have a good time?

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Aug 12 2012, 10:37

The best! In Poland we have losts of woods and lakesides so for Debo it was heaven to run free and it did good for his recall command. I think next time we go there it would be for good.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum